all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Recent Success

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Bunn

Level 6 Valued Member
I thought I would share some recent success I experienced on my last training block.

The program I followed was based on Pavel's "Total Package Weekly Kettlebell Training Template" and I ran it for eight weeks.

Some of the basics: I am 48yo, 98kg and 1.8m (218lb, 6') and have been training with kettlebells since 2002.

Program:
Strength Days
-Monday and Friday: Double KB Clean and Press, 5x5 (24kg), Double KB Front Squat 3x5 (24kg)
-Wednesday: Get Ups, 5L/5R (28kg) and Pushups, 4x10

Talk test(+) between all sets, plenty of rest to ensure I was fresh for the next one.

Conditioning
-Tuesday/Thursday: 1 hand swings (32kg), 5 reps EMOM 20-30 minutes, SLDL 2x5 (24kg)

Each session started with a light warm up of a few pushups and goblet squats with some light mobility work, and finished with some basic stretching. As you can see, I kept the program minimal and simple. There was no waving anything during the strength days, the only variety came on conditioning days when I would randomly switch between 20 and 30 minute sessions (based on feel, nothing more). On average, strength days would take 30-35 minutes to complete.

Results:
I maintained my same weight zone (215-218lbs), however, I dropped an inch off of my waist, dropped 2% body fat (approx.), added .25" to my arms and .5" to my legs and had some noticeable growth in the shoulders and traps. My single arm military press with the 32kg went from R- 3, L- 2 to 5 on the right and 4 on the left.

Overall I am very pleased with how this program worked for me, the gains in size were completely surprising to me, hypertrophy (though small) was not something I even considered when going into the cycle. I have only recently begun tracking my HR during he conditioning sessions, but I feel as though they were beneficial in at least maintaining my current state, unsure if I made any measurable progress in that area though.

On Monday I will be cycling back through Q&D for six weeks, and then back to this template (or something similar) and continue to alternate them for the remainder of the year. The next cycle, the clean and press will go to 28kg, but keep the same 5x5 scheme, other changes I see incorporating in future iterations are deadlifts and dips.

@Bunn , nice work. Simple, focussed, to the point programming could be why you picked up some muscle and lost fat... No over thinking just doing!

@Papa Georgio It is still on my radar, however, the current situation has thrown my normally predictable work cycle off schedule. I am still hoping to make it, but it is far less certain.

@Papa Georgio It is still on my radar, however, the current situation has thrown my normally predictable work cycle off schedule. I am still hoping to make it, but it is far less certain.
Whether you do or not, sounds like you're in good shape for passing if you decide to. Let us know how the Q&D and next total package block goes.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom