all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Newbie intro

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ps_bond

Level 1 Valued Member
The rambling bit:

A while ago I lost the use of my left arm due to spinal issues. This left me pretty much unable to do anything for most of 2 years as any movement would cause severe neurogenic pain - slightly frustrating. That was eventually repaired and I got most of my function back (still have some numbness/neurogenic pain in my left hand, but nothing that generally impedes things). Anyway, I've spent some time rebuilding myself - initially with cardio, but moved onto kettlebells (had to drop back to a 12kg initially before going back to my 16kg). Sourced a 20kg ball just before lockdown in the UK, then was introduced to simple/sinister so started working through that - I'd found that ETK's programme knackered me too much to do the swings. Finally managed to source a 28kg towards the end of June, by which time I'd ended up heartily fed up with the 20kg as it wasn't providing enough resistance in S&S. Couldn't floor press the 28 on the LHS initially, so worked on that. Had a mishap similar to the gentleman who broke his wrist - last stage of getting down my left arm folded unexpectedly, caught the bell with my RH and my elbow impacted the floor. Got away with it but might not have done.

Anyway... I've added in the 28 faster than the programme recommends (currently at 80 of the swings, 6 of the getups) purely because the 20 is far too easy for me to feel it's there. I'll stick with 80 swings until I'm happy with 8 getups, then sync properly with the recommendations again. I'm using a HRM, peaking at ~135BPM +/- (180 - age +5) and allowing it to come down to <110 before restarting; the rest periods are getting shorter, but I'm still at about 1.5mins between sets. My weight has stayed annoyingly static despite reduced calorie intake & increased protein (but there's less fat).

One concern I have is that when I'm ready to move to the 32, that's only a 4kg jump (lack of availability hasn't been helpful to following exactly), which similarly means any deloading is only 4kg - or do I need (for certain values of need) a 24kg too?

Another is that when I finally hit timeless simple, I'm not specifically targeting sinister but I do want to do timed simple - do I need to practice with a 40kg to develop the ease of use of the 32? Despite re-reading the book I've not seen that explicitly.

And finally - my left side is still weaker. LH getups are not as crisp with the 28 as the right (especially the initial roll; part of that is not leading with the bell as precisely as on the RHS). While I can military press the 28 on the right for 10 reps, I can't get it out of clean on the left. Even the 20 gives me some gyp still with that - can't yet hit 10. Are push presses a suitable progression?

Still can't do a single pullup unassisted either, which continues to annoy me.

Either way, when we are able to return to the mats (whenever that ends up being) I should be able to give one or two people in my jiu jitsu club a surprise...

Last edited:
Went from practising on the mats twice a week, playing with the horses & generally getting things done to being unable to drive, shoot, work or exercise. Not my idea of a good time (I did get back into brewing beer though, which was a mixed blessing).

The morning after the replacement discs I was doing squats, leg lifts and anything else that didn't stress things or need me to use my weakened arm - much to the surprise of the physio when she showed up.

@ps_bond
Welcome to the forums...
Sounds like you have been through a lot, but also sounds like you are back on course...

I wouldn’t worry about S&S... just be patient and let it happen... it will.

Do you do any locomotive work such as running?

Also many people (including ‘fit’ ones) are challenged by pull-ups. There are many threads and personal logs on this site that can provide great insight into pull-ups. How to achieve one, how to perfect them, and how to do dozens.

Again... welcome

Cheers

1. Welcome

2. Spend enough time really owning each weight and the 8kg jump is doable...

3. Don't just limit yourself to simple.. Get stronger and aim for the stars.. Missing the stars mean you've still reached the sky

Do you do any locomotive work such as running?

Cross trainer 2-3 times a week - my knees don't handle road running well (too much running in boots with heavy kit). Although I've skived this week as it's been too hot.

Also many people (including ‘fit’ ones) are challenged by pull-ups. There are many threads and personal logs on this site that can provide great insight into pull-ups. How to achieve one, how to perfect them, and how to do dozens.

I think it's going to need some deliberate focus to crack that one - I'm currently using active hangs as an early progression, but I'll have more of a read around the subject on here. Mind you, it's taken me long enough to get my pressups sorted - now I find there's a hard-style version...?

now I find there's a hard-style version...?

The "hard style" push up is nothing magical if you're already doing really good form, high tension push ups, with proper pelvic position, glutes tight, etc. It's basically the same thing.

It's more of a correction to all the crappy push up form that is the norm.

My experience: I was doing S&S with 28, aiming for timeless simple. I found this transition really difficult when integrating sets of the 32 so I decided to regress to using a 24 with the 32. It worked great. I haven't had the same problem going from 32 to 36. Maybe I just needed more time at a lighter weight.

On progressing beyond timeless simple, I reckon it definitely helps to use a heavier bell in a timeless fashion. The longer I work with the 36 the lighter the 32 feels. This seems obvious and I intend to progess to timeless solid and then try timed simple.

On TGUs, although most of us have a stronger side, I found that the limiter on my LHS was a technique rather than a strength issue, specifically with the roll to elbow. Maybe because I'm naturally less coordinated on that side, I needed to work out what I was doing differently. An SFG would probably help with this.
Edit: it is clearly a different issue in your case, but years ago I had a brachial plexus injury which also resulted in a severe loss of strength and muscle wastage in my left shoulder and arm. The Neuro said I would only ever regain up to 85% of my orginal strength. I thought this was the problem when I was battling with LHS TGUs, but discovered that I could fix it with proper technique. Keep working on it.

For presses, definitely progressing from push presses to strict presses works for me.

Last edited:
Great work so far!

1) imbalances - it’s normal for most, and especially so in your case. Just keep going at it and try to narrow the gap. Push presses with a slow eccentric helps with strict presses.

2) pullups. I have trained many young men back in my army days. Simple solution: jumping negatives. Eventually you get there.

1. Welcome

3. Don't just limit yourself to simple.. Get stronger and aim for the stars.. Missing the stars mean you've still reached the sky
Shoot for the stars and you might hit an eagle. But aim for the eagle and you might hit a rock.

My experience: I was doing S&S with 28, aiming for timeless simple. I found this transition really difficult when integrating sets of the 32 so I decided to regress to using a 24 with the 32. It worked great. I haven't had the same problem going from 32 to 36. Maybe I just needed more time at a lighter weight.

On progressing beyond timeless simple, I reckon it definitely helps to use a heavier bell in a timeless fashion. The longer I work with the 36 the lighter the 32 feels. This seems obvious and I intend to progess to timeless solid and then try timed simple.

On TGUs, although most of us have a stronger side, I found that the limiter on my LHS was a technique rather than a strength issue, specifically with the roll to elbow. Maybe because I'm naturally less coordinated on that side, I needed to work out what I was doing differently. An SFG would probably help with this.
Edit: it is clearly a different issue in your case, but years ago I had a brachial plexus injury which also resulted in a severe loss of strength and muscle wastage in my left shoulder and arm. The Neuro said I would only ever regain up to 85% of my orginal strength. I thought this was the problem when I was battling with LHS TGUs, but discovered that I could fix it with proper technique. Keep working on it.

For presses, definitely progressing from push presses to strict presses works for me.
You’re saying you were working with the 28 and struggling with the 32 so you dropped back to the 24 to dial it in and then after that the 32 was do-able?

Going from 20 to 28 was a shock to the system - it's improving, but I'm nowhere near owning the 28 yet, nor am I deluded enough to think I should be after ~6 weeks - the concern was that 28 to 32 doesn't require anything like the same level of adaptation.

Lots of good ideas here. If I'm getting your drift you are using both the 20 and the 28 each session. 8 sets of swings with the 28 and 2 with the 20. 6 TGU's with the 28 and 4 with the 20. Right now you feel that's max reps?

You might try mixing it up even a little more. Giving yourself a light day so to speak. So on a 5 day week it might look something like this;

Mon: swings 6x10 with 28 4 with 20. TGU 4 w/28 and 6w/20
Tues: 20K for everything
Wed: swings 8x10/28 2w/20 TGU 6w/28 and 4w/20
Thurs: swings 4w/28 and 6w/20 TGU 8w/20 then 2w/28
Fri: 20K for everything

If you can do 8x10 swings with the 28 your can do 10. I would do that on my heavy day and only do it every other week starting out. If you are getting close to your potential with simple then the 24K would be nice to have but I wouldn't fret over it. You can mix it up with a 20, 28, and 32 plenty to give yourself some lighter days.

Nothing wrong with what you are doing with the HR monitor but I wouldn't get too anal about it. Just hit the next set when you're ready. Keep track of the time it's taking and watch for improvement.

Just my 2 cents. Welcome to the forum.

Yup, for now. Not max reps, just trying to be sensible and stick (mostly) with the S&S progression. I probably can do all the swings & getups with the 28kg, but I'm holding off going all out in an effort to be sensible. 2H swings every other day (I thought those *were* my light days?!).

The "problem" - such as it is - I have with the 20kg is I'd been using it for about 5 months solid and it doesn't provide enough resistance for swings & getups. It still provides entertainment value for presses, at least. If it takes 5 months for me to feel as indifferent to the 28kg then so be it.

HRM is there for feedback and analysis only, it's not dictating much :) By the same token, my Fitbit has used its arbitrary VO2Max algorithm to stick me into the "very good" to "excellent" bracket for my age group. Which is nice, but it's little more than a SWAG (and I'm at the bottom of that age group, which probably helps!).

About a month since I delurked; still plugging away at S&S, just over a month to go before I start using a 32kg - and now I can do a pullup (despite no significant change in bodyweight). Close grip, just shy of shoulder width and I couldn't get further than my nose over the bar. It's probably the first time since leaving the Army (quite a few years back) that I've done one.

If I can do one, I can build up to 5. If I can do 5, 10 is achievable; then I'll work on wider grips. Might try for unsupported pistol squats as well.

Oh, and the Fitbit has bumped me up on cardio fitness again, which is nice.

Cant give any advice about ss as i have never done it. But i installed the 25 pull up app and have been using it after my kettlebell traing 3x week and went from 3/ shakey 4 to 11 in just over a month or so. So something like that might help. And it takes the guess work out for you.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom