all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Competition KBs and SF training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

marvinthemartian

Level 5 Valued Member
Hi everyone!

I struggle to find heavier HS style KBs to continue making progress with S&S and SF KB training but a sporting goods store I know has a few competition style KBs left over. I haven't had a chance to give them a try but I suspect some exercises like the GS or 2H swings are not really a practical thing to do with them. Am I missing out on anything else if I switch over to competition bells if I plan on going down the StrongFirst route?

They have a sale over the weekend so I will probably grab a 28kg and 32kg anyways. Maybe I should switch out some of the lighter ones as well :D

Thanks,

marvin

I don’t think you’d be missing anything with competition KBs.

I prefer cast iron KBs, but use competition KBs almost as much, and have no trouble doing 2 hand work with them. The steel handle finish and the windows and horns on competition KBs differ from those on cast KBs, but these things cause me no problem.

In my view, handle diameter is more important. The 35 mm handles on my competition KBs are a bit smaller than the handles on the cast counterparts, but for me this isn’t a detriment.

But I recently bought a competition KB with a 33mm handle, and while I thought that 2mm wouldn’t make much difference, it’s taking a while to get accustomed to it.

I had competition bells but I ended up selling them all and updating to hardstyle bells. GS gets very uncomfortable with competition bell once I go past 24kg lets say. With 16kg it doesn’t really matter. I like the feel of a cast iron handle way more and I think somehow hardstyle bells feel somehow weighted/balanced better for powerful swings as well. Might be just mental thing... Also, I don’t like the way competition style bells handle tends to get rusty.

To answer your question though, competition bells can be really nice if you ever plan to compete in girevoy sport (kettlebell sport), and they are a little easier on the forearms perhaps if you are using smaller weights (because of the larger surface area).

Having dabbled using them for one arm swings and getups, I'd say if they are all you have, you'll still get good feedback as the mold would make you link up in a different but good way vs cast iron bells..

I'd always train when having to test with cast iron bells but GS bells are a form of same but different

Thanks everyone. Lot's of good info about things to consider..

They didn't have a 32kg one so I only grabbed a 28kg KB. No-name brand made in china. Real cheap with the discount. 50€ for a 24kg, 60€ for a 28kg and 70€ for a 32kg one (sold out already). They are usually 15-25€ more expensive and they used to have them in 2kg steps all the way from 12 to 40kg. So if i like them I might actually stick to this brand (no makers mark or brand name) but they can't get any new ones until the end of the year. But they might be able to get a 32kg KB from another store (of course after the sale is over ;) )

I tried some one handed swings, cleans, presses and TGUs in the store and they felt pretty good. Goblet Squat and Halo sucked. The handle is a bit thin and narrow compared to what I am used to. But the surface is nice and smooth and just a little bit rougher on the inside. I don't think it will take long to get used to them. At least as long as I stick to one handed lifts. No idea if something like the 10k swing program should be attempted with such a narrow grip.

The handle is welded but no visible weld marks or gaps. No idea what that means in terms of quality and durability. It is painted orange. Not a very nice color but the paint job looks well done. At least for now :)

@Boris_Bachmann: With GS i simply meant goblet squat. Sorry for the confusion.

marvin

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom