all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Power to the people

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Luismi

Level 2 Valued Member
What would it be like to train Power to the People by exchanging the press for TGU?

In my unlearned opinion and firing from the hip without really thinking about it, I believe it would be more like Simple and Sinister, in that the deadlift and the swing are double first cousins...

If I go this route, I would pick the heaviest bell I can floor-press and use it for partial getups;

Unassisted floor press, roll to elbow and then back, negative press, then on to the next rep.

Hmmm. I might just do that to condition my forearm to handle the 32K bell.

The thing to keep in mind about PTTP is that it has two main dimensions. One is the programming -- minimalist focus on the DL and a press, low volume/high frequency, and percentage-based cycling loading principles. The other is the focus on the skills/techniques for generating tension.

IMO, learning and learning to apply the high tension techniques is an invaluable skill that has tremendous carry over to other training modalities. I had used PTTP to work up to a >2 x BW DL (425lbs on the straight bar and 465lbs on the trap bar @ 180lbs BW) before I ever touched a KB, and I'm very glad it happened that way.

Get ups with a KB don't really lend themselves to either the high tension techniques (in the same way as a purely grinding press), nor to the percentage-based load cycling of PTTP.

So if you are more of a novice building a basic level of strength, I'd recommend sticking with the press of you choice -- which isn't to say you couldn't also incorporate get ups into your practice, just more as movement practice than part of a progressive program.

If you are an experienced and decently strong deadlifter and presser just looking to use the PTTP DL programming, then I don't see a problem focusing on the get up alongside the DL.

What would it be like to train Power to the People by exchanging the press for TGU?
PTTP is two grinds. S&S is a ballistic for reps and a supporting lift that takes a little while to execute - neither is a traditional grind. PTTP is a strength training program. S&S is a program that'll make you stronger but it's not what I'd call a strength training program, although it is a program that'll make you stronger. I like @barrak's idea, maybe with a few full-range getups thrown in, but a focus on the floor press.

I'd rather the bent press with your DL, though, than the getup.

-S-

I'd wonder if all the heavy leg work in the deadlifts would make the TGU kind of overkill in that area - you have to do basically a one leg squat each time in the "lunge" part of the getup. I think there is a reason that the bent press is the recommended complement to the deadlift in PTTP.

I'd wonder if all the heavy leg work in the deadlifts would make the TGU kind of overkill in that area - you have to do basically a one leg squat each time in the "lunge" part of the getup. I think there is a reason that the bent press is the recommended complement to the deadlift in PTTP.

That mirrors my thinking regarding my omission of goblet squats while pursuing sinister: primal squats + frog stretchers + heavy sandbag getups = can skip goblet squats.

If I really want to target the squat, then I would go to the squat; back or zercher squats.

That mirrors my thinking regarding my omission of goblet squats while pursuing sinister: primal squats + frog stretchers + heavy sandbag getups = can skip goblet squats.

If I really want to target the squat, then I would go to the squat; back or zercher squats.
Holding the 48kg bell for goblet squats could be a bit inconvenient. 32kg is fine but above that and it starts to get into a clutching exercise more than anything.

Adam Glass did something similar back in 2005, but he did PttP with the Deadlift, Side Press, & Getup:
Adam Glass said:
In the summer of 2005 I was sent to LSA Anaconda in Northern Iraq. I had time to do 3 things-work, sleep, and lift. I took up a PTTP program with the Deadlift, Side Press and TGU. When I returned home in the spring, I had gained 30 pounds, put on 120lbs on my DL PR, and lifted 3/4 of my body weight in the TGU (150lbs @ 200) I was solidly hooked to the Party's methods

An excellent question..

Some data would be great for better insights

Your current bodyweight
Current working weight for DL and TGU

I do PTTP Kickstand Deadlifts (270lb × 3/3 Max) in the morning before work, and I use 3×5/5 70lb Airborne Lunges as a warm-up for my after work program. The single leg squats don't affect the Deadlifts because they are too light to matter. I would assume that it would be the same for the lunge in the Getup.

My body weight is approximately 58 kg
I currently work with kettlebells in a range of 28kg-44kg for the TGU
For dead weight my maximum is 150kg

I have done the TGU/DL combo in the past and thought it worked just fine. I did TGU Left, TGU Right, then two reps of DL, for 5 slow circuits, taking plenty of time. The TGU advanced as in S&S and the DL as in PTTP.

If I do it again, I will use trap bar deads instead of straight, as the TGU has a fair amount of back involvement, and test my 1RM TDL, then work from 70% to 85% on the doubles, then re-test and repeat. It is easy to start going too heavy in the TDL when doing five sets of two.

I think the idea of doing some heavy partial TGU's probably has some merit as well. No reason you couldn't work in both full reps and partials.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom