all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Beginning OAPU Training.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

NormanOsborn

Level 5 Valued Member
Is there a minimum number of normal push ups one should be able to do before one starts training for a One Arm Push Up?

Thanks.

Hello,

@NormanOsborn
Unfortunately, there is no real magic number to target. This is hard to say "I am able to do X normal push ups, so I am able to do Y OAP".

OAP usually require a specific training, which is very well displayed in TNW. Most of the time, working on OAP will naturally increase your number of maximal normal push ups.

For example, I was already able to do 40 to 50 push ups when I first started working on OAP. However, I was not able to do 1 OAP due to skill and core component. Unfortunately, the more reps you build, the more endurance you build, but the less strength you build.

If OAP is the goal, following a low rep or GTG protocol will get you there in no time ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@NormanOsborn
Unfortunately, there is no real magic number to target. This is hard to say "I am able to do X normal push ups, so I am able to do Y OAP".

OAP usually require a specific training, which is very well displayed in TNW. Most of the time, working on OAP will naturally increase your number of maximal normal push ups.

For example, I was already able to do 40 to 50 push ups when I first started working on OAP. However, I was not able to do 1 OAP due to skill and core component. Unfortunately, the more reps you build, the more endurance you build, but the less strength you build.

If OAP is the goal, following a low rep or GTG protocol will get you there in no time ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Thanks. Yeah, I was worried that if one could not do a certain minimum number of Push Ups, there would be no point in training for OAPU. Much like weightlifters etc say that it's pointless to do highly advanced programs like Smolov unless one can already squat a considerable amount before one begins the program.

Hello @NormanOsborn

I am naturally more endurance-oriented. This is incredible how my push up endurance have increased since I have been training low rep (with OAP, OAOL, HSPU). Higher rep are beneficial for pure endurance, tendon & ligament strength.

There is always a point in getting a little bit stronger !

There is a better carryover from low rep OAP to higher rep normal push ups, than the other way around. Working on OAP is time well spent.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Thanks. Yeah, I was worried that if one could not do a certain minimum number of Push Ups, there would be no point in training for OAPU. Much like weightlifters etc say that it's pointless to do highly advanced programs like Smolov unless one can already squat a considerable amount before one begins the program.
OAPU is a lot of skill and strength. As mentioned by @pet' doing a lot of push ups is more related to endurance. In order to achieve a OAPU you need to understand how to create tension in your body so you can keep the position and perform a good OAPU.
Planks (push up plank, 1 arm plank) will help you with that more than doing 1000 push ups a day. But of course you also have to be able to do push ups, and some harder variety of push ups will help, unless you have a good bench press ( I personally never trained OAPU that much but I was doing a lot of bench pressing and it helped me with any type of push up).

Find @Karen Smith ’s article on this on the site. It has a 6 week program. Follow it. It works and you may be quicker than the 6 weeks. If so it’ll increase your reps.

Good question, I have been doing OAP using GTG for the past couple months and still have to be elevated to get full range of motion. I can, however, do quite a few regular 2 arm pushups but still can't do one complete OAP.

I will second what has been said above : pushing from one arm is very different from pushing with two arms !
In my personnal case, OAPU still are still out of reach after 2+ months of training, even if I am able to do ring muscle ups or HeSPU. The stability challenge is quite unique, and personnally, it took me a long time to find the best "adjustments" (distance between the feet, position of the hand,...)
Best of luck ! ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom