all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S GTG style (or GTG S&S style)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Maq

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello strong people!

Without going into too much details, currently in my life I am unable to carve out 30 minute block for training. What I can do, is have multiple 3 minute chunks throughout the day.

Is doing sessions of goblet squats, halos (lets say initial 3 sessions) and later sessions of 1 handed swings/TGUs a good idea? I would expect that I would lose warm up and endurance part of the training, but overall benefits should be solid.

Or should I forget about any S&S resemblance and try some different program?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Yes you can do that..

One block 10 swings on the minute left then right (that covers 2 minutes)

One getup on the minute left and right thst covers 2 minutes

Hello strong people!

Without going into too much details, currently in my life I am unable to carve out 30 minute block for training. What I can do, is have multiple 3 minute chunks throughout the day.

Is doing sessions of goblet squats, halos (lets say initial 3 sessions) and later sessions of 1 handed swings/TGUs a good idea? I would expect that I would lose warm up and endurance part of the training, but overall benefits should be solid.

Or should I forget about any S&S resemblance and try some different program?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
I have done this and works very well. I even managed to go heavier due to the long rest periods.

I finished te day with 10/15 min of TGU.

I am unable to carve out 30 minute block for training
I feel you on this sir. I enjoyed the S&S training but I took quite some time to recover. I found it would take me about 60m for an entire session at times.

Hello,

Splitting the swings may be an excellent idea, and would give good results. This article could be an example:

Strength being a skill, it should works fine for GU, as it works for OAP and pistol for instance

Kind regards,

Pet'

Thank you all for your replies. It looks like I am on a good track.
Thanks to this I actually might be able to squeeze 5 days of training inside a week :)

@Maq :

In my most recent experience I have found (for pure strength purposes ) Grease the Groove is perfectly effective. And, in a very busy past few months I'm still getting results with only …
  • 50 - 100 reps per day
  • 5 - 10 reps / set
  • 5 - 10 sets per day
  • Basically infinite rest between sets throughout the day
  • Breaks between sets vary from 10 minutes to 3 hours
I'm certain after some bike rides and rowing that the conditioning improvements are low - if any . But …
  • My peak force capacity continues to increase. I'm using heavier kettlebells.
  • My form continues to improve. Lockout in the snatch is more readily achieved.
  • My bells feel lighter every week. Swings go over height accidentally.
  • My muscles continue to grow. Delts and quads are becoming more distinct.

Reactions: Maq
@Maq, when short on time, I like a single set of 25 swings. Takes 40 seconds or so, and then you recover for 2:20. :) For me, that's with a 32 kg and using 2 hands, or sometimes it's with a 44 kg but then it's less than 25 swings. Sometimes, it's 1-handed with a 24 kg and hand-to-hand, switching hands every rep. Whatever "training effect" may be, I feel like I get plenty of it from any of the three described above.

If you go with your idea, you could have a session of halos, a session of goblet squats, a session of getups, a session of swings. It seems an interesting idea to me, and I'd think that 4 sessions like that might be plenty. Add more swings if you're able to do more without overtraining.

-S-

I've done S&S GTG style in the past by adapting the 'Simply Sinister' approach.

1 set consists of (without putting the KB down):
  • 10 reps 1H Swings - Left Hand,
  • 1 Clean and Press - Left Hand (to get the KB overhead),
  • 1 rep reverse TGU (from standing to lying position, and then back to standing position),
  • hand switch to Right Hand
  • 10 reps 1H Swings - Right Hand,
  • 1 Clean and Press - Right Hand (to get the KB overhead),
  • 1 rep reverse TGU (from standing to lying position, and then back to standing position),

Each set takes about 3 minutes, and I spaced 5 sets throughout the day - totalling the magic 100 1H swings & 10 TGUs.

The Simply Sinister Training Plan | StrongFirst

GTG x 5 sets thru out the day when ever you have free time. Do an S&S circuit of
10 x 1H Swings - Left Hand
10 x 1H Swings - Right Hand
1 x TGU - Left Hand
1 x TGU - Right Hand.
Takes 2minutes finish. 5 x a day is only 10mins and you have done all your S&S reps.
No warm up needed. Do some Goblet Squats on the weekend and mobility work and your golden

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom