all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Improve shoulder stability for Get-ups?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

BJJ Shawn

Level 6 Valued Member
Hello all,

This past week I have begun adding 32kg get-ups to my S&S practice for the first time, so only doing one per arm each day at that weight and the rest at 24kg. In S&S 2.0, the suggestion for moving up is to eaither jump head first, or move up by 4kg instead of 8kg, but progress twice as fast. Seeing as I don't have nor am I in the position to acquire a 28kg bell, that option is out the window.

My question is, what other way would you use to strengthen the shoulder stability needed for heavier get-ups? So far, using the 32kg is not tough on my core or positioning, but the bell feels unstable. Is the cure to simply do get-ups until this goes away, or does anyone recommend something else to help? Would mobility drills assist with this, even if getting my arms into position is not the problem? My shoulders have always been my weak point, and my presses are pathetic, so I really want to spend 2021 improving my shoulder strength.

Thanks for any tips.

Hello,

@BJJ Shawn
Working on presses at different angles may help:
- Vertical: HSPU, military press
- Horizontal: OAP
- Lateral: Archer push ups
- Frontal with angle: incline push ups

Otherwise, something challenging is a press by holding the bell with a towel. Waiters carry can be excellent as well (basically, you walk with a bell OVH with straight arm). Snatches can be useful to a certain extent.

Kind regards,

Pet'

One common suggestion in this forum is to "investigate" your shoulder stabilizers at different stages of the getup using a lighter bell: pauses, tiny bell circles or rotations, presses, bottoms-up kettlebell holds.

Another (rare and probably over-cautious) suggestion I came across is to refrain from upping the weight till you can do a descending ladder of 5 getup rungs within 15 minutes using the bell you mastered... that's a total of 15 getups per side. Enjoy the Pain!

I'm a big fan of waiter walks. I recommend you walk as far you can with the 32kg overhead in weak hand. When it gets either wobbly or "uncomfortable", switch hands and come back. Rest and repeat 2 or 3 times.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom