all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Rucking/loaded walking

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Gary W

Level 5 Valued Member
So i do my strength training 3 days a week MWF and have been just walking, unloaded 2/3miles on a Tuesday and Thursday with a MTB ride on the weekend.

I want to start doing the walks loaded,
5/10kg in a back pack, not sure my bag will take much more than that.

Im planing to drive to a near by hill, park at the top and walk down then back up for 30mins total.
I only get 1hr in the mornings, its a 10min drive each way only leaves me 30/40 mins for the walk.

Will i benefit from 30mins at all, or do i need longer?

Im hoping it will help my hill climbing on the bike?

Definite benefit in doing 30-40 minutes for me- noticed a difference in my mountain biking when I didn’t do it for a while. I carry more like 20 kg though, so I’d maybe consider adding odd sections where you pick something up and carry it for a while- I sometimes carry a rock or log for example.

I suppose it depends why you are doing it and what benefits you are looking for. I do a ruck once a week for about 40 minutes with a 16 kg kettlebell. I do it as a form of LISS training because I always seem to end up pulling a calf muscle if I run. I think there must be benefits to it.

Really im just hoping it will help my mountain biking as i only get out on the trails at the weekend.

Would you say 30mins rucking is better than 1hr unloaded brisk walking?

Last edited:
Would you say 30mins rucking is better than 1hr unloaded brisk walking?
My experience would say it certainly has the potential to be (specifically for improving MTB climbing when you can only get out on the bike once a week), but I think you might need to have more than 5-10 kg for it to be.

I’d second Halfakneecap’s suggestion too.

If it includes some hill climbing I would say yes. In my opinion it would certainly cross over to you mountain biking better than unloaded brisk walking.

Screenshot_20210928-071714_Connect.jpg

Thats my walk this morning, with 5kg.
unfortunately i dont have hills straight out my front door and dont really want to have to get up earlier haha so it was fairly flat
Would that be considered LISS?

View attachment 14916

Thats my walk this morning, with 5kg.
unfortunately i dont have hills straight out my front door and dont really want to have to get up earlier haha so it was fairly flat
Would that be considered LISS?
By my understanding, yes. Your heart rate was elevated to a level that you were able to maintain for 40 mins. So, this would have had a healthy stretching effect on the heart muscle.

Screenshot_20210928-104103_Connect.jpg

I found one from a few months ago i did with 5kg up a hill and down back up and down again. 40mins total.
Not much difference in the average HR 107 vs 104

@Gary Wilson, I'd be careful about introducing weighted walking by also doing it as part of hill training. Weighted walking kind of creeps up on you. Try doing some of your normal walks with some extra weight. You likely won't notice much of an effect until you reach a certain point, but after that, you will.

-S-

Maybe i need to consider walk/run to keep my HR a little higher, when i dont have time to travel to some hills

How do i find out that zone?

I try to keep everything under my MAF number of 140, mtb that gets hard but strength training walking etc its easy enough

Last edited:
Aerobic Threshold. If you want to really reap the benefits of LED (Long Easy Distance) type training then you want to be doing a large portion of your ‘cardio/aerobic’ training in that HR zone.
Serious question because I want to start endurance training myself: Is this relevant for people who can only train 1 hour twice a week?

How do i find out that zone?

I try to keep everything under my MAF number of 140, mtb that gets hard but strength training walking etc its easy enough
If you are keeping everything at or just below your MAF number then that is going to be ‘close enough’ to your AeT for most purposes.

There are a variety of ways of finding out your AeT some are approximations some are measurements. MAF is an approximation and like I said good for many people. The ‘talk test’ is another approximation. If a person wants to be more accurate then they need to do either a blood lactate test or gas exchange test. Both require equipment and an understanding of the readings. The latter is usually done in a lab setting.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom