all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Thoughts on deep, elevated sumo squats?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Opiaswing

Level 5 Valued Member
Are elevated sumo squats a good squat option for leg strength development?

Example below - good option for heavy single kettlebell users?

I don't see the point. One can hold the weight higher, and most of us goblet squat deeper than that.

-S-

It's a great exercise and being used by many bodybuilders/powerlifters. Usually it will be choose as a hypertrophy exercise and being done after the main lift/accessories.

One can hold the weight higher, and most of us goblet squat deeper than that.
IMO the advantage of it compared to goblet squat is it can be done with high reps.

It's a great exercise and being used by many bodybuilders/powerlifters. Usually it will be choose as a hypertrophy exercise and being done after the main lift/accessories.

IMO the advantage of it compared to goblet squat is it can be done with high reps.
Is there a reason one cannot do the same number of reps of a goblet squat as one can do in this "elevated - deep sumo" squat?

-S-

Are elevated sumo squats a good squat option for leg strength development?

Example below - good option for heavy single kettlebell users?

I’ve tried it before and it worked ok. I just didn’t lean forward as much as the demonstrator.
Is there a reason one cannot do the same number of reps of a goblet squat as one can do in this "elevated - deep sumo" squat?

-S-
With a KB, for me, its easier to suspend the weight below as in the vid vs holding a 40 kg bell in goblet squat position.

Why not try it with your new 64kg kettlebell?
One thing at a time! I don't goblet squat much because I can do just fine without the kettlebell counterbalance. I'll try doing what I mentioned above, some reps with a moderate weight, and then I'll try some heavier bells and see how it goes. After watching @Pavel Macek's video of a 68 kg goblet squat, I'm intrigued, I confess, to see if I can do the same. He and I are always about the same weight.

-S-

Why not try it with your new 64kg kettlebell?
Well, I tried some goblet squats just now. bw only, 24 kg, 36 kg, 44 kg. I can't clean the 64 kg, so I tried putting it on a box at about waist height and I still can't figure out how to hold onto the thing.

I have some training to do if I want to get used to these heavy goblet squats. I have cleaned a pair of 32 kg kettlebells in the past, but that's also been a while, so I think my training plan will be: some 2-bell cleans with 24, 28, and 32 kg, some goblet squats with a 48 kg, get myself a 56 kg and work goblet squats with that, and then revisit the 64 kg.

Video of 44 kg goblet squat. Pause and exhale at the bottom, repressurize, come back up.

-S-

The superhuman folks can goblet squat heavy bells...

Here's StrongFirst instructor Steven Koontz with a swing-flip-goblet squat with 92kg:

Here's StrongFirst instructor Steven Koontz with a swing-flip-goblet squat with 92kg:

That’s a great IG performance. I’m 63 and can’t deadlift 500 for reps anymore…or care to be “superhuman” but I do ok. My wife has done ironman not to long ago so she can’t DL 250 lbs at 125 lbs anymore…or care to.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses. To echo some others in this thread - a goblet with a 68kg relies quite heavy on upper body too and I was looking for something to get some squat work in without having to double up!

In retrospect, would zercher squats/Deadlifts be a good option?

I'm a relatively strong dude, but until I bought (and quickly sold!) an 80kg bell, I never appreciated how freakishly strong (and powerful) a lot of these guys are on IG. It's insane.

Thanks for all the responses. To echo some others in this thread - a goblet with a 68kg relies quite heavy on upper body too and I was looking for something to get some squat work in without having to double up!

if you have many kettlebells you can use those for zercher squat.

The girl in the video is not performing a deep sumo squat. If you look at her hips she barely makes it to parallel.
Sumo squats usually don't go deep. If you look at people who sumo squat they barely break parallel (mostly very strong guys in powerlifting comps). Trying to go deep in a sumo position requires quite some hip mobility.

As for your choice for squats. Depends on what equipment you have and what your goal is.
I personally am not a fan of kb zerchers as It is quite risky if anything goes wrong, you can't let go off the weight quick and in a safely manner.
If it's a barbell zercher big fan of those. Deadlifts are always good, regardless.

Upperback and forearms fatigue

Goblet Squats

All type of Squat (Back Squats, Front Squats, Goblet "Front" Squats, etc) in which the weight place at the top of the body on the back (Back Squat) or upper chest area (Front Squat or Goblet Squat) increases the loading on the core.

The Benefit

The benefit of Squats performed in this manner is the core (back and abdominal area) is worked and strengthened.

The Downside

The downside of performing Squat with the weight carried on the back or upper chest area is as q.Hung stated is...

Upper Back Fatigue

The limiting factor with Back Squats, Front Squats, Goblet Squat is the lower back fatigues long before the legs are completely overload and trained.

This was addressed in...

Barbell Belt Squats, Post 3

I was looking for something to get some squat work in without having to double up!

Leg Work

If your training objective is to develop strength in the legs, Zercher Squat are a good option.

Training Objective

1) Core Development

If your objective is to develop more core strength, Squats in which the weight/bar is carried higher is the key: Back Squat, Front Squat, Goblet Squat, etc.

2) Leg Development

If your objective is to maximize strength and/or size in the legs, the loading on the lower back need to be minimize or eliminate the back/core.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom