all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Strength aerobics maximum effective dose

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Pasibrzuch

Level 6 Valued Member
Hello,
I'm currently on a strength aerobics clean and jerk program from bjj fanatics.
The program calls for maximum 30min sessions.
Does it make sense to extend the sessions for a person who doesn't do BJJ or any other martial art through out the week? What's the top limit? 40mins? 60 mins? When do you reach a point of diminishing returns?
How long can you make you strength aerobics session between you reach a kettlebell equivalent of junk miles?
Do you think it's better to keep the program as it is and add some other endurance work throughout the week to complement it (LSD, basement tempos, etc.)?

If it matters my current regimen is: 2x pure strength work (kb ladders of military press, pull ups, bulgarian split squats), 2x strength aerobics.
The goal is reaching double 28kg in the clean and jerk program, currently doing it with a single 28kg.

Hello,

I think the point of diminishing returns is reached when you feel the exercise is very easy. Not necessarily that you could do a 2nd session in the evening (assuming you do it in the morning) but... To me, it can be done daily. Another indicator could be you are able to correctly perform even on "bad days". I know this is not a very precise answer but the beauty of this kind of training is that it is auto-regulated. When we reach this, there may be three options:
- increasing the duration (I do not see the point exceeding 40-45 minutes)
- reducing the rest between the sets
- increasing the weight slightly

For the rest duration, I'd use the talk test. This is what I did when I followed the Strength & Aerobic article programme.

Hope that helps...

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,
Does it make sense to extend the sessions for a person who doesn't do BJJ or any other martial art through out the week? What's the top limit? 40mins? 60 mins? When do you reach a point of diminishing returns?
How long can you make you strength aerobics session between you reach a kettlebell equivalent of junk miles?
Do you think it's better to keep the program as it is and add some other endurance work throughout the week to complement it (LSD, basement tempos, etc.)?

If it matters my current regimen is: 2x pure strength work (kb ladders of military press, pull ups, bulgarian split squats), 2x strength aerobics.
The goal is reaching double 28kg in the clean and jerk program, currently doing it with a single 28kg.
I think the top priority would be to go up in weight within that 30-minute limit.

Once you have reached a satisfyingly heavy bell, I think you would be good to extend the sessions. At least this is the way the Swings are programmed in the BJJ Fanatics product and it makes sense to me. Strong first, strong endurance second.

Does it make sense to extend the sessions for a person who doesn't do BJJ or any other martial art through out the week?
No, it does not.

The vast majority of your training time should be spent on the mat. Strength training is just GPP and the kind of endurance a martial artist needs is highly specific and best achieved through endless drilling and sparring.

I would cap my strength aerobics at 30’ and incorporate some sort of slow, steady and EASY running/cycling/swimming. Which can’t replace time on the mat either, but will facilitate recovery between rounds.

Hello,

How many reps per 'set' are you doing? I believe the program starts at a single clean an jerk every 30s for 30 mins. When that is achieved, add an extra clean, then and extra jerk, up to 3 cleans and 3 jerks. After than, I would imagine you start again with a heavier bell......

I think @Brett Jones does his (talk test based!) iron cardio sessions in a 20-40 minute time frame, most of the time. But I guess the upcoming book will shed some light on it. Pavel's plan is more specific, so that is a little different story.

I think @Brett Jones does his (talk test based!) iron cardio sessions in a 20-40 minute time frame, most of the time. But I guess the upcoming book will shed some light on it. Pavel's plan is more specific, so that is a little different story.
Can you tell me more about that book? I'm interested and haven't heard anything about it.

Can you tell me more about that book? I'm interested and haven't heard anything about it.
He mentions it on some podcasts:

Some details here:

Both episodes are well worth the time :)

There is also a ton of info on his insta channel.
You can find current examples with the hashtag iron cardio

Last edited:
I think on the last instructor webinar Brett mentioned he's working on it and should be soon

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom