all posts post new thread

Barbell Long femurs = wider squats?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Warzone2022

Level 3 Valued Member
I've been playing around with squat stance for awhile due to knee pain my stance was shoulder width or just out with a slight ankle turn which caused a sharp pain in my patella even on my first warmup set and being wrapped, I've moved to wide stance low bar squats and my knees thank me, but during research I found that femur length plays a part in squat stance based on this calculation

If you take a tape measure and measure from the hip joint (greater trochanter) to the outside of your knee joint, then divide it by your height and multiply by 100 and get the % of your height. If it's less than 27% you have shorter than average femurs, above 27 and you're above average.

Basing my measurements

71 inch height divided by 21inch femur is 3.3 - multiply by 100 equals 333

So assuming this, its 33.3% which is above average?

If so, wide squats are my fit going by this meaning above 27 = go wider for knee health?

I just don't want to do something that will completely take me out of commission and make me rely on upper body only again, I'm doing OLAD 6x week and I'm loving it so far as it feels complete having the six main lifts working in rotation

I've been playing around with squat stance for awhile due to knee pain my stance was shoulder width or just out with a slight ankle turn which caused a sharp pain in my patella even on my first warmup set and being wrapped, I've moved to wide stance low bar squats and my knees thank me, but during research I found that femur length plays a part in squat stance based on this calculation

If you take a tape measure and measure from the hip joint (greater trochanter) to the outside of your knee joint, then divide it by your height and multiply by 100 and get the % of your height. If it's less than 27% you have shorter than average femurs, above 27 and you're above average.

Basing my measurements

71 inch height divided by 21inch femur is 3.3 - multiply by 100 equals 333

So assuming this, its 33.3% which is above average?

If so, wide squats are my fit going by this meaning above 27 = go wider for knee health?

I just don't want to do something that will completely take me out of commission and make me rely on upper body only again, I'm doing OLAD 6x week and I'm loving it so far as it feels complete having the six main lifts working in rotation
Length of femur has less to do with stance width than the hip socket and femur head.

Have you posted a video of your squats? Both from side, back, and front. Old style and new style. Folks be more able to help then.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom