all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Hybrid training advice

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

marcio trigueiro

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi there guys

I returned to do business travel in July and completely lost it in my kettlebells routine. Of course I can’t carry them, and with travel came bas diet and as a result I gained 20lb. I stopped training in November - was doing several doubles with 28/32kg then - and need to get back.

Challenge is I have to mix KBs with bodyweight and/or TRX. Any good source of info for a plan like this? Any advice?

Thanks!

The easiest thing is this: when you have your kettlebells, do kettlebells. When you're traveling, do calisthenics with the TRX.

(You can also get sandbags that can be filled with water if you still want to lift heavy things when you travel.)

If you are looking to burn calories and work your muscles, just pick a youtube TRX workout and follow along for an hour. Coach Ali has some great videos.

If you are looking to progress in a planned way, I have a few recommendations.

If you're going to be limited to using the TRX in a doorway, I would simply work a pistol progression, an ab progression, a push-up progression and a row progression. You could also add a back bridge progression and a handstand push-up progression if you wanted more of a Convict Conditioning program, but Naked Warrior + Rows would be a better program for pure strength.

If you are going to be able to hang the TRX (and therefore could do dips and pull-ups) and want to do more than the absolute basics, i would look at the recommended routine in the wiki at r/bodyweightfitness. It's designed by Steven Low and it's phenomenal. (You might also need to buy a resistance band and an ab wheel.)

The easiest thing is this: when you have your kettlebells, do kettlebells. When you're traveling, do calisthenics with the TRX.

(You can also get sandbags that can be filled with water if you still want to lift heavy things when you travel.)

If you are looking to burn calories and work your muscles, just pick a youtube TRX workout and follow along for an hour. Coach Ali has some great videos.

If you are looking to progress in a planned way, I have a few recommendations.

If you're going to be limited to using the TRX in a doorway, I would simply work a pistol progression, an ab progression, a push-up progression and a row progression. You could also add a back bridge progression and a handstand push-up progression if you wanted more of a Convict Conditioning program, but Naked Warrior + Rows would be a better program for pure strength.

If you are going to be able to hang the TRX (and therefore could do dips and pull-ups) and want to do more than the absolute basics, i would look at the recommended routine in the wiki at r/bodyweightfitness. It's designed by Steven Low and it's phenomenal. (You might also need to buy a resistance band and an ab wheel.)
Thank you so much for the comprehensive advice. Will look into it. I do have a band and the ab wheel. So I should look at Quick and Dead book. What is Convict Conditioning? I can guess by the name but I wonder if it is a specific program. Once again thanks

So what did you do before with the kettlebell? Double clean/press/squat? Or swing?
I think ballistic move (thing like swing, snatch, clean) can be replaced with jump/burpee/sprint/bike sprint in terms of power training.
push up, pull up and row variations for the upper body.
Move back to your normal kettlebell rountine when you have a chance.
Also, I find this article is helpful. You could check it out:

Thank you so much for the comprehensive advice. Will look into it. I do have a band and the ab wheel. So I should look at Quick and Dead book. What is Convict Conditioning? I can guess by the name but I wonder if it is a specific program. Once again thanks
There's a misunderstanding somewhere. I mentioned The Naked Warrior, not The Quick And The Dead.

Convict Conditioning is basically the book that popularized the idea that calisthenics can be used with progressions to build strength. I think it's really great. A lot of people hate its high-rep progamming in the early stages, but I find them valuable. Red Delta Project and Hampton's Hybrid Calisthenics are two people who were really influenced by CC and tried to clean up the things it was criticized for. Here's the Hybrid Calisthenics routine (it's CC, but without CC's handstand push-up progression):

It really comes down if you will be able to do pull-ups / dips and how minimalist you want your routine to be. These are my recommendations in terms of minimalism:

Naked Warrior + Rows = 3 exercises, pure strength, work out as often as you want (but working out infrequently is not recommended), focuses on training yourself to generate more strength (written by Pavel)

Convict Conditioning / Hybrid Calisthenics / Red Delta Project = 6 exercises, 3x per week: will build hypertrophy, strength and endurance depending on if you're on easier steps or harder steps: infrequent training (2 x per week)

Recommended Routine - strength and hypertrophy = 12 exercises, requires a place to hang TRX, strength and hypertrophy, great progression plan (Recommended Routine 2017 is an older version of the workout that incorporated gymnastics skills, if you want to have a bit of fun)

Depending what bands you have & your carrying capacity you could always do jumpstretch band good mornings as a posterior chain move instead of bridges.

Hi there guys

I returned to do business travel in July and completely lost it in my kettlebells routine. Of course I can’t carry them, and with travel came bas diet and as a result I gained 20lb. I stopped training in November - was doing several doubles with 28/32kg then - and need to get back.

Challenge is I have to mix KBs with bodyweight and/or TRX. Any good source of info for a plan like this? Any advice?

Thanks!

Are you familiar with the naked warrior? Do you understand grease the groove/tension principles??

Hi there guys

Thanks!
It needn’t be all that difficult (depending upon your goals and aspirations)
When traveling do Naked Warrior, run, and anytime you see a chance for a pull-up do some…
When at home do S&S

(I travelled for work for decades)

Push, pull, squat, hinge, carry. Whatever tool you have, find an appropriate version of those, split intelligently based on frequency & volume, then apply a progression.

It needn’t be all that difficult (depending upon your goals and aspirations)
When traveling do Naked Warrior, run, and anytime you see a chance for a pull-up do some…
When at home do S&S

(I travelled for work for decades)
When you say Naked Warrior, is there a program that I can follow like S&S?

Hello,

@marcio trigueiro
No you did not. TNW adovates for a practice "here and there when you feel like it". Basically, you perform the moves during the day, while being perfectly fresh.

Overall idea: for any given move, pick up your max. Then divide this number by 2 (rounded to the inferior, for recovery sake). This is your number of repetitions per set. You do as much set as you can with perfect form during the day. When form is altered, call it a day. So there is not a proper set x reps frame.

There are already a lot of excellent advises above. Below is an article which works great as well if GTG is not an option:

Resistance bands are also a good alternative, very versatile. You can do lat pull down (to "replace" pull up), DL for the hinge / hip pattern. Pistol are the squat. HSPU can be a vertical push, OAP / OAOLP are good for both core (anti extension, anti rotation, etc...). For additional core, some [anti flexion] (HLR (using a door), LSit, etc...). Perform all of these in a circuit and you are good to go.

Here is another good one: StrongFirst Roadwork | StrongFirst if running is not an option and if you are proficient at jumping rope then...

Kind regards,

Pet'

When you say Naked Warrior, is there a program that I can follow like S&S?
No, not per se. But therein lies the beauty and simplicity of it. It’s very scalable to a wide variety of situations, and highly programmable. It is also very suitable to GTG.

Hello,

@marcio trigueiro
No you did not. TNW adovates for a practice "here and there when you feel like it". Basically, you perform the moves during the day, while being perfectly fresh.

Overall idea: for any given move, pick up your max. Then divide this number by 2 (rounded to the inferior, for recovery sake). This is your number of repetitions per set. You do as much set as you can with perfect form during the day. When form is altered, call it a day. So there is not a proper set x reps frame.

There are already a lot of excellent advises above. Below is an article which works great as well if GTG is not an option:

Resistance bands are also a good alternative, very versatile. You can do lat pull down (to "replace" pull up), DL for the hinge / hip pattern. Pistol are the squat. HSPU can be a vertical push, OAP / OAOLP are good for both core (anti extension, anti rotation, etc...). For additional core, some [anti flexion] (HLR (using a door), LSit, etc...). Perform all of these in a circuit and you are good to go.

Here is another good one: StrongFirst Roadwork | StrongFirst if running is not an option and if you are proficient at jumping rope then...

Kind regards,

Pet'
Thank you. Well the whole GTG does not work for me. I do well with Geoff's programs - do there, do this in 20-30 min, done. Minimalist, few exercises. This is what works for me but now I need to do that with a bodyweight program.

will have a look at the article you mentioned. I am not saying I am right, it's just that I know what works for me and this is it. Complex programming, or doing things scattered throughout the day is a recipe for non-consistency for me

Thank you. Well the whole GTG does not work for me. I do well with Geoff's programs - do there, do this in 20-30 min, done. Minimalist, few exercises. This is what works for me but now I need to do that with a bodyweight program.

will have a look at the article you mentioned. I am not saying I am right, it's just that I know what works for me and this is it. Complex programming, or doing things scattered throughout the day is a recipe for non-consistency for me
I think in Naked Warrior it mentions it, but certainly in other programs of Pavel's it does, that for pure strength he recommends 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps, with 3-5 minutes of rest, 3 days a week. Leave yourself 1-2 reps in reserve and work your way up to harder progressions. This is pretty universal and should work with any grind.

Strength shortcuts offers a more structured approach if you like a spread out plan like GTG

the red Army pullup protocol is another option for you and can be classified as "structured GTG"

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom