all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Nasal breathing?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

TedM

Level 6 Valued Member
What are the real advantages/benefits of nasal breathing in contrast to regular diaphragmatic breathing?

It dehumidifies the air, it lowers pulse and blood pressure. Give “Breathe” by James Nestor a read. For my part I breathe nasally until I run. I should really work on it but my piggy snout just doesn’t feel like it’s delivering me anything when I’m running. Today I almost swallowed a sweat fly and that unpleasant experience only managed to make me shut my gob for about 30 seconds. Lol

It dehumidifies the air, it lowers pulse and blood pressure. Give “Breathe” by James Nestor a read. For my part I breathe nasally until I run. I should really work on it but my piggy snout just doesn’t feel like it’s delivering me anything when I’m running. Today I almost swallowed a sweat fly and that unpleasant experience only managed to make me shut my gob for about 30 seconds. Lol
Have you tried puffing up your upper lip to expand your nostrils while running ?

Give “Breathe” by James Nestor a read.
With regard to breathing in general:
I think this was the first breath-related post I made to my blog (in 2008) - 'Hypoxic Training' Not to say that I saw the wave of "breath experts" coming but, well, I saw it coming. I think there's a lot to be learned and examined when it comes to the breath and breathing at rest/stress/in sport, but some of the claims are just nutso.
The book "Breathe" by James Nestor is a solid overview of what people are claiming breath practice and control can do for you. I think it's worth the read, but if you think you're going to cure every ailment with nasal breathing or crocodile breathing, then you need to dial that back a bit.

With regard to breathing in general:
I think this was the first breath-related post I made to my blog (in 2008) - 'Hypoxic Training' Not to say that I saw the wave of "breath experts" coming but, well, I saw it coming. I think there's a lot to be learned and examined when it comes to the breath and breathing at rest/stress/in sport, but some of the claims are just nutso.
The book "Breathe" by James Nestor is a solid overview of what people are claiming breath practice and control can do for you. I think it's worth the read, but if you think you're going to cure every ailment with nasal breathing or crocodile breathing, then you need to dial that back a bit.
Yeah I’ve heard Chi Kung practitioners claim it will make you lose weight and cure this that and the next thing but it’s clearly nonsense. I’m just really aware that there’s got to be a better way of breathing than I’m managing.

What do you mean by ”regular diaphragmatic breathing”?
Through the mouth.
I used to road bike the hills near my home, and used to swim: I wouldn't have survived either of those if i needed to just breathe through my nose..

Last edited:
Reactions: Kev
Through the mouth.
I used to road bike the hills near my home, and used to swim: I wouldn't have survived either of those if i needed to just breathe through my nose..
Books by James Nestor and Patrick McKeown highly recommended, and there is a good bit of info. on this subject on the SF Forum.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom