all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Prone to Lower Back Injuries/Spasms

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

TheWolf

Level 2 Valued Member
I have mentioned this in a previous post but I am prone to muscle spasms and injuries in my lower back. Fortunately, I haven't had one for a while since I have been doing my variation of "Even Easier Strength": Other/Mixed - Some "Surprising" Feedback

Unfortunately, a second bout of COVID-19 has sidelined me for a few days. Today, without doing much but moving around as normal, my lower back seized up and has made it hard to move about without pain. This is not uncommon to me and was happening approximately once every few months for a few days at a time--but again, I had no back pain for the last few months due to, I believe, the program above.

Regardless, I believe I really need to work on mobility and flexibility. I have spent the remainder of the day therefore reading Relax Into Stretch and Super Joints, and have taken some good points from each.

Are there any other books you recommend? I am strongly considering Original Strength: Pressing Reset.

To ask the silly question - have you seen a physiotherapist about your back? That isn't normal and you don't have to put up with it.

The last time was about 1.5 years ago. I don't think they found any particular issue other than I was "to tense." I had several appointments which resulted in deep tissue massage of the lower back and upper legs but that's it. I believed it helped at the time and I am sure it would help again. I am just wondering if there are things I can be following religiously at home that will improve my flex/mobility too.

The last time was about 1.5 years ago. I don't think they found any particular issue other than I was "to tense." I had several appointments which resulted in deep tissue massage of the lower back and upper legs but that's it. I believed it helped at the time and I am sure it would help again. I am just wondering if there are things I can be following religiously at home that will improve my flex/mobility too.
I've heard great things about Geoff Neupert's P3 protocol, but I'd be asking the physio what is too tense and what activities you are doing that is causing it.

If they are just giving you a massage and sending you on your way find a new one.

I have mentioned this in a previous post but I am prone to muscle spasms and injuries in my lower back. Fortunately, I haven't had one for a while since I have been doing my variation of "Even Easier Strength": Other/Mixed - Some "Surprising" Feedback

Unfortunately, a second bout of COVID-19 has sidelined me for a few days. Today, without doing much but moving around as normal, my lower back seized up and has made it hard to move about without pain. This is not uncommon to me and was happening approximately once every few months for a few days at a time--but again, I had no back pain for the last few months due to, I believe, the program above.

Regardless, I believe I really need to work on mobility and flexibility. I have spent the remainder of the day therefore reading Relax Into Stretch and Super Joints, and have taken some good points from each.

Are there any other books you recommend? I am strongly considering Original Strength: Pressing Reset.

Rocking, elevated rolls, deadbugs from the OS system

OS is a great book, but in my case hasn't helped with low back issues.

I recommend any of Stuart McGill's books, I'd go in the order they are presented on the website.
Ditto - I've found Stu McGill's Big 3 to be a better starting point for me than other approaches I've tried - for dealing with my lower back issues.

Although the broad more frequently observed base of my adjustments based on Dr. McGill's advice is practicing good spine hygiene not exposing my lower back to that which irritates it; unnecessarily, and unilateral carries to help work the core across sides.

suitcase carries​
rack carries​
walking​
box stepping​

seems to be having a positive effect, and for the other 23 hours of the day, I'm being careful to avoid picking the scab by annoying the injury already there.

I've appreciated learning my favorite of his catchphrases: "There's no such thing as non-specific back pain." I've gained some insight from that insight.

I figured out that that tight hamstrings and tight, weak hip flexors (psoas) were a major contributors to my back pain. I found immediate relief by finding a psoas release on YouTube then doing some old-fashioned stretching. Strengthening my hip flexors has helpful also.

I have the same problem. Every couple months my back locks up. In my case the tight hip muscles pull the left half of my pelvis forward. This happened yesterday. Not sure if its the Windmills. But today I am crooked. One leg seems longer since my pelvis is twisted and my upper body is leaning to one side. Painful to walk and sit. PT has a program to fix this issue which is to use a dowel between my legs to pull my pelvis back into correct position.

[FunWithFormatting]

Become a strong deadlifter
Read Pavel's "Power To The People!" Get as much coaching on your deadlift as you need. Post a video here or work with a StrongFirst Certified Instructor, ideally both SFG and SFL, in person or online.

Don't stretch your lower back until it's 100% OK
Advanced and Intermediate lifters with healthy backs can, should, and do stretch their lower backs. If your back is "prone to muscle spasms and injuries," then lower back stretching is not for you.

Mobile hips + strong back = The Cure
"Relax Into Stretch" and "Super Joints" are excellent choices. Work on your hip mobility until you can do a side split. From RIS and SJ, learn to work the Cossack Squat and the sequences built around it, and understand that when you're doing the Cossack, you're doing a 1-legged split. Same thing with the lunge-type movements that follow.

[/FunWithFormatting]

I used to have the same issues, and I went to various physiotherapists and chiropractors, without much help. The last physiotherapist I went to worked in a facility that looked almost like a gym, and most of the treatment was strengthening exercises. In a month I was 95% better, better than I ever thought I would be, going from "I will sell my rower and I'm sure I'll never be able to row again" to rowing 30m three times a week. I highly recommend you look for a professional with this approach. (I don't know how they characterize their work, but it is marketed as a "sports injury rehab" place).

My last visit to the physical therapists was to address a low back spasm.

I asked the cause of the back spasm and their answer was kind of like Cleveland Clinic's - there are possible causes, but no way to tell what the exact cause was: Back Spasms: Causes, Treatment & What Is It

My back spasm happened when I was in a low squat. I remember rushing through the warmup to get to the main exercises, because I started the workout late.

The stress of knowing that I was late probably triggered the spasm.

The reason I believe this is I haven't gotten the back spasm again, since taking the time to do some mobility work, or least go for a walk in the neighborhood for a few minutes, to wash away any potentially dangerous tightness before doing any exercise that involves a low squat.

Last edited:
rowing 30m three times a week.

Ditto.

Between rowing 3x a week, and pulling or squatting 4 times a week, I pretty much never have back issues.

Since I already did it once with my glutes, my dream party trick is to crack walnuts with my spinal erectors.

Ditto.

Between rowing 3x a week, and pulling or squatting 4 times a week, I pretty much never have back issues.

Since I already did it once with my glutes, my dream party trick is to crack walnuts with my spinal erectors.
You fall off a ladder in your kitchen ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom