all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell Hang snatches and dead snatches

mvikred

Level 6 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Curious to know when and how folks have used these two variations of kettlebell snatches in their programming.

Curious to know when and how folks have used these two variations of kettlebell snatches in their programming.
In the interest of keeping things simple, I don't usually use either. I take the approach with students that we don't want any shoulder shrug in their snatch, just hip snap whose vigor is tuned to the weight they're using and whether the destination is the rack or overhead.

I prefer _not_ to have students snatch when the weight requires a shoulder shrug, preferring the backward movement of the elbow that's required to keep the weight close to the body, followed by the "punch through" to catch the weight. My line is, "When you find you need to shrug your shoulder(s) to move the weight, switch to a barbell." That's overkill on my part, but I find it helps keep the teaching principles clearer in my student's mind. All this is largely the same for the clean as for the snatch.

Mind you, there are people who can dead snatch and hang snatch a kettlebell without resorting to a shoulder shrug, but I find that a pretty high level skill that, frankly, I don't feel like I've mastered myself, which is perhaps one of the reasons I avoid it. But the hip hinge of the swing is such an overlooked movement pattern for so many people, I prefer to keep a big focus on that and choose the ways I feel teach it best - deadlift, swing, swing-style clean and swing-style snatch.

JMO, YMMV.

-S-

Back
Top Bottom