all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Stone Circle - Sandbag/Calisthenic Training

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

Cyrus-II

Level 5 Valued Member
Here is an interesting experiment this fellow is running. I ran across him a couple of weeks ago and have watched several of his videos;

Obviously, his goals are different than mine, and because of this his focus is different and I don't necessarily ascribe to some of the principles he holds. But he's given me some food for thought and I agree with him more than I disagree with him. But Bruce Lee's adage; "Long term consistency trumps short term intensity" sure holds true.

My main takeaway is the tool almost doesn't matter. Add the skillset and you can accomplish your goals in many different ways. I intend to study more on sandbag and odd object lifting. That way, even if I'm in the middle of the desert all I have to do is find the right size rock and I'm good. As I continue to move on from S&S's "what's next" my goals have pivoted a bit. I'm still maintaining the standard of untimed "Simple", but still continuing to experiment with other methodologies and my focus on more mobility work and bodyweight type exercises. And an increased understanding of how ligament, tendon and connective tissue strength plays a part in aging gracefully too.

Anyway, I thought you guys might find his channel interesting too.

Thanks for sharing. I've been messing around with my sandbag a lot more recently so this gave me some ideas.

I really like that channel. I use sandbags a bit myself, and this guy's doing a pretty good job with his. They're inexpensive and relatively easy to make pretty much whatever weight you want.

My main takeaway is the tool almost doesn't matter. Add the skillset and you can accomplish your goals in many different ways.

I almost cannot believe the consistency of results I get across modes once I figured out how to construct a versatile training skeleton - the tool truly is secondary:

"What is steel (sand/stone/etc) compared to the hand that wields it (or the mind that wields the hand) ?"

Will have to watch some videos today.

Was feeling inspired this morning after watching a number of his YouTube and IG videos. Took my 100lb sandbag and spent 10min practicing squats and another 10min practicing shoulders. It was a lot of fun and I’m def feeling it right now.

I used a standard “atlas stone” type bag from Brute Force, I have another BF bag that can go to about 150lbs that is longer and narrower with handles. I’ve been using that to do IC but may load it up more and use it to follow something similar to this program once I get used to the movements.

I did some OTM sandbag training a couple of weeks ago. I have a yoke and set the bar to about 56". I picked the sandbag up from the floor and placed it over the bar each minute until I reached a point where I felt like I was about to go beyond RPE 8. I got the bag each round over the bar at about 10 seconds. It was a good session and got pretty sweaty.

I trained primarily with sandbags for the past few years and have recently just started hitting the barbell again, primarily the Olympic lifts as they were the one thing I missed the most. Despite training with no more than 100# for all of my previous exercises, in less than a month I have already hit a clean and jerk of 80% BW and 125% BW for reps with the back squat. Stronger than I thought I would be. Anecdotal evidence but interesting nonetheless.

Most of that training was with a 60-80# sandbag from Brute Force for various movements. Near the end I got my hands on a 100# sandball and was doing a lot of bear hug squats and ground to shoulders with it, with some get ups and over shoulder throws from time to time. It was getting light near the end there so I think I need a 150# next.

I trained primarily with sandbags for the past few years and have recently just started hitting the barbell again, primarily the Olympic lifts as they were the one thing I missed the most. Despite training with no more than 100# for all of my previous exercises, in less than a month I have already hit a clean and jerk of 80% BW and 125% BW for reps with the back squat. Stronger than I thought I would be. Anecdotal evidence but interesting nonetheless.

Most of that training was with a 60-80# sandbag from Brute Force for various movements. Near the end I got my hands on a 100# sandball and was doing a lot of bear hug squats and ground to shoulders with it, with some get ups and over shoulder throws from time to time. It was getting light near the end there so I think I need a 150# next.
That's amazing work and good to hear, reinforces my thoughts on using sandbags as my primary tool for the next few months.

Curious - what were you doing with the 60-80# BF bag? Cleans/Squat/Press? I'm a huge fan of their stuff.

Stone Circle is a great YouTube channel. He is wholesome in a ripped dorky way, love it.

That's amazing work and good to hear, reinforces my thoughts on using sandbags as my primary tool for the next few months.

Curious - what were you doing with the 60-80# BF bag? Cleans/Squat/Press? I'm a huge fan of their stuff.
I did a variety of different workouts, but my favorite was Armor Building - either as prescribed or my own variation which was more of a conditioning emphasis.

My own variation - I would do a 1-10 ladder of cleans, strict presses, and front squats, resting 15 seconds per each rung (e.g. so when I finished 3 reps of everything, I rested 45 seconds). When I could finish the whole ladder with the prescribed rest times and no breaks, I would go up 10#. I worked up to 90# doing this.

I looked in to sandbag training after my shoulder injury. Now, I'm making better gains in pounds and size than before the injury without the bags. Maybe I pressed too much. I an pressing again pain free.

I may jump on these and will definitely check out those youtube channels. Thanks for the info.

I did a variety of different workouts, but my favorite was Armor Building - either as prescribed or my own variation which was more of a conditioning emphasis.

My own variation - I would do a 1-10 ladder of cleans, strict presses, and front squats, resting 15 seconds per each rung (e.g. so when I finished 3 reps of everything, I rested 45 seconds). When I could finish the whole ladder with the prescribed rest times and no breaks, I would go up 10#. I worked up to 90# doing this.
Another bit of anecdotal evidence, probably no more will apply after this but I thought it was interesting.

This week was the first time I had barbell front squats programmed as part of my weightlifting routine. I had been doing bear hug squats with a 100# sandball for the past few months, going up to 10x5 for some workouts.

Wednesday I was only planning on using 60kg/132 for my work sets for the barbell front squat. I ended up doing my final set with 85kg/187 pounds for a double, which basically gives me a BW front squat right out of the gate. Definitely happy with that.

Back
Top Bottom