all posts post new thread

Barbell Barbell Fundamentals program: varying reps instead of weight?

Hausman

Level 2 Valued Member
I am currently enjoying RoP which sticks to the same weight but grows volume over time. I just purchased Barbell Fundamentals and the program increases the weight rather volume. I am hoping to start some barbell work but may not have that many plates to bump up in 5lb increments.

Is there another program(s) which I can go with volume increases or is that not quite how things work with squats/deadlifts or barbells?

I am currently enjoying RoP which sticks to the same weight but grows volume over time. I just purchased Barbell Fundamentals and the program increases the weight rather volume. I am hoping to start some barbell work but may not have that many plates to bump up in 5lb increments.

Is there another program(s) which I can go with volume increases or is that not quite how things work with squats/deadlifts or barbells?
There are lots of programs with barbells to volumize with a single weight, or to step load and increase reps/sets first.

Triple Progression is one such program. Here is Coach Louka explaining it:

Bryce Lane's 50/20 is another kind of program known as Escalating Density Training.

Neither of those are barbell specific, they're what I call "Tool Agnostic."

Here are a couple barbell-centric programs/explanations from Alexander Bromley as well, but they're more or less the same idea as triple progression.

This explains everything pretty well:

This one goes a little more in depth:

This one uses a wave rotation, so you'd still need some small plates:

I would stick to the program to "bump up in 5 lb increments" means you need 2-1/2 lb plates, which are widely available and inexpensive. I am not familiar with this specific program but it's always best to follow a program "by the book" unless you have a compelling reason to do otherwise.

One can work with increasing volume but not weight with barbells, of course, but I'd work with what you just purchased. Because they're light, it's not a problem in most cases to purchase 2-1/2 lb plates online and have them shipped.

-S-

Plan Strong is primarily about volume adjustment but there are some heavier sets thrown in. I’ve done some full cycles with it, bench and deadlift, incl the hypertrophy variant, and was pleased with the results.

You can use larger jumps or changes in the load (waving down a bit more so make room for the heavier set).
From the PDF: "Round up in order not to use 2.5-pound plates: 95x5, 115x3, 125x2."

The 1-2-3 ladder is also an option.

Back
Top Bottom