all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Leg pain when sprinting?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

the hansenator

Level 6 Valued Member
I tried some hill sprints yesterday (first time in a few years) and my inner thigh muscles on the left side were kind of painful. The pain stopped as soon as I did, and it got a little better after a few sprints.

I also kind of feel it while walking. Not painful, just like the muscle is working harder than maybe it should be. And only on the left side.

Is there something that usually causes that? Does it mean I have a weak muscle somewhere?

Almost sounds like an imbalance between your two legs and you've got some rotational torsion - a "pulled" groin muscle would be a little unusual on an uphill sprint (although not impossible). I would have someone competent assess your gait and balance. Could also be you've got some activation on your left side through your big toe that's been asleep - but I'd think this also indicates a pronation/supination problem so its worth getting checked out.

I tried some hill sprints yesterday (first time in a few years) and my inner thigh muscles on the left side were kind of painful. The pain stopped as soon as I did, and it got a little better after a few sprints.

I also kind of feel it while walking. Not painful, just like the muscle is working harder than maybe it should be. And only on the left side.

Is there something that usually causes that? Does it mean I have a weak muscle somewhere?
Did you warm up first?

I've got to do the whole butt kicks, high knees, skipping, and uphill lunges thing before I start a hill sprint session else my inner thigh gets grumpy about it.

I’d suggest you tried sprints for the first time in years. Lot of things are bound to hurt and feel funny. If you’re really concerned, hook up with your local high school track coach, offer to pay for some sprint coaching.

Thanks for the replies.

My warmup was the walk/jog to the park where the hill is.

I don’t think it’s a strain or pull. There’s no pain when I tense the muscle, it just feels like it’s doing more than its share of the work. My thought was either it’s weak or it’s carrying some of the load of another muscle that’s weak.

Like @John K pointed out, it’s been a while. Maybe I’ll see how it feels over the next couple of weeks before I worry too much. I just wanted to see if there’s a simple or obvious explanation.

@the hansenator, I like the idea that one should be able to break out into a full sprint at any time. My personal experience with this has been that, if I haven't been sprinting for a while, this absolutely is not possible, however, if I start working on putting some sprints into my daily walks, my body gradually comes around and eventually I return to the state where I can sprint at any time.

IOW,

“You’re old and haven’t sprinted in a while.”

sounds like a likely explanation to me, too.

A slight change of subject - I prefer sprinting on flat ground and on stairs - I don't like how sprinting uphill feels. One could speculate as to the reasons - my relatively poor ability to flex at the ankle ("dorsiflexion") seems a likely culprit to me. Stair sprinting seem to challenge knee and hip mobility more and ankle mobility less, a good combination in my case.

-S-

@the hansenator, I like the idea that one should be able to break out into a full sprint at any time. My personal experience with this has been that, if I haven't been sprinting for a while, this absolutely is not possible, however, if I start working on putting some sprints into my daily walks, my body gradually comes around and eventually I return to the state where I can sprint at any time.

IOW,

sounds like a likely explanation to me, too.

A slight change of subject - I prefer sprinting on flat ground and on stairs - I don't like how sprinting uphill feels. One could speculate as to the reasons - my relatively poor ability to flex at the ankle ("dorsiflexion") seems a likely culprit to me. Stair sprinting seem to challenge knee and hip mobility more and ankle mobility less, a good combination in my case.

-S-
This makes perfect sense. I don't know if crawling would help the ankle dorsiflexion but nothing wrong with stair sprinting. Flat ground I'm worried about injuring the hamstring.

Kettlebell training is now my go to, but I still run at a very low level. As many have already suggested, don’t be surprised at your body complaining at the new demands made of it, but listen to it and revise your expectations. I’d also think of incorporating some gentle hill runs, a good way to increase your cardio and resistance whilst not hammering your body.

Just to report back - It’s already getting better. Yesterday’s hill sprints felt better with less discomfort and easier breathing. A bit of knee pain on the second sprint but that went away. It seems related to hamstring and inner thigh activation.
Might be worth a visit to a good massage therapist or soft tissue person. You can get adhesions where the muscles sit next to each other and they can cause some weird aches and pains.

Just to report back - It’s already getting better. Yesterday’s hill sprints felt better with less discomfort and easier breathing. A bit of knee pain on the second sprint but that went away. It seems related to hamstring and inner thigh activation.
Just a suggestion on sprint mechanics - focus on driving the leg off the ground quick, DON'T focus on reaching the foot forward.

When I focus on driving the knee forward with the opposite arm it feels more connected through the midsection and that makes it feel better.
Just make sure you aren't then reaching forward with your foot - you want to drive DOWN. It seems a lot of hammies get strained or torn when they are reaching with the foot to "paw the ground."

Back
Top Bottom