all posts post new thread

Hypertrophy What is the best program for gaining muscle?

Kadir

Level 1 Valued Member
What is THE program you recommend for gaining muscle?

My goals are as the following - 1. gaining muscle 2. gaining explositvity.

About me: 37 years old, martial art background. Have a good control over diet-rest-training.
Have experience with weight lifting and kettlebells.

I have read, watched and listened for a while to StrongFirst materials. Now I want to invest in a solid program and see for my self.

Thank you in advance.

hat is THE program you recommend for gaining muscle?

1. gaining muscle.
Training Objective

The Training Objective determine the type program.

Let's break it down...

Hypertrophy Training

This is the most effective for Increasing Muscle Mass.

1) Training Loads, Reps, Sets

a) Training Load of around 60-80% of 1 Repetition Max

b) Moderate to High Repetition Sets

c)Set of 8 Repetition and higher, 20 Reps Per Set

2) Moderate to High Sets

3) Rest Period

Rest Period between Set are usually around 60 Second.

The focus should be on "The Pump"; which triggers a downstream anabolic effect.

The Downside To Exclusive Hypertrophy Training

Hypertrophy Training increases Muscle Mass at the expense in a decrease in Maximum Strength and Power.

More on this in a minute.

2. gaining explositvity.
Increasing Power

Power is elicited and developed with training certain Percentage of a 1 Repetition Max.

1) Traditional Strength Movements

These are Exercise like Squats, Pressing, Deadlifts, etc.

Power Training with these Movement is developed with Load of 48-62% of 1 Repetition Max.

2) Olympic Movements

Loads of 70-80% of an Olympic Movement develop Power: Power Cleans, Power Snatches, Clean and Snatch High Pulls, Push Press, Jerks, etc.

3) Kettlebell Swings

The Load is based on your Body Weight.

Kettlebell Swings with one-third to near Body Weight.

150 lbs Lifter Example

a) One-Third Body Weight would mean Kettlebell Swings with 50 lbs.

b) Near Body Weight would mean Kettlebell Swing that approach close to 150 lbs.

For Near Body Weight Swings what works is an inexpensive Home Made...

Hungarian Core Blaster

The cost is around $20.00 plus weight plates. It takes a few minutes to assemble.

4) Trap Bar Jumps

Trap Bar Jumps essentially are Olympic High Pulls.

If you don't have access to a Trap Bar, Dumbbell Jumps work.

Now let's look at...

The Foundation of Power

The Foundation of Power is built on Maximum Strength.

The fastest way for a Novice Lifter to increase Power is to Increase Maximum Strength.

For Intermediate and Advance Lifters, the key is to Increasing Power is to train both Maximum Strength and Power.

The Synergist Effect

This means that increasing one type of Strength enhance the other.

Think of it like adding 2 plus 2 and getting 5!

Dr. Michael Zourdos Conjugate Training Research

Conjugate Training mean training different type of Strength in the same program.

Zourdos' research found that when Hypertrophy, Power and Maximum Strength were trained in the same program, a greater Increase in Maximum Strength was obtained.

Dr. Brad Schoenfeld's Hypertrophy Training Research

Schoenfeld's research determined that an Increase In Muscle Mass was optimized when these type of Strength Training were performed..

1) Maximum Tension

This means Maximum Strength Training

2) Metabolic Stress

This means Hypertrophy Training

3) Muscle Damage

This means pushing an exercise to near failure or failure Infrequently.

With that in mind, the last week of a Periodization Training Cycle is where this need to occur.

Zourdos and Schoenfeld essentially rese are similar; training one strength enhance to the other for Maximum Strength, Power, and Hypertrophy.

There are two different method in which to produce these results.

1) Conjugate Training

Zourdos' Conjugate Method was...

1) Monday: Hypertrophy Training

2) Wednesday: Power Training

3) Friday: Maximum Strength Training

2) Block Training

This method breaks the different type of training into specific block in which only that one Strength is Trained.

The devotion of only one Specific Block ensures faster progress.

Let's use 6 Week Blocks which is only devoted to one type of objective as an example.

a) Hypertrophy Training Block

Greater gains in Muscle Mass occur.

The downsize, it Maximum Strength and Power decrease.

2) Maximum Strength Training Block

Greater gains in Maximum Strength occur.

The downsize, is Hypertrophy and Power decrease.

3) Power Training Block

Greater gains in Power occur.

The downsize is Hypertrophy and Maximum decrease.

Diet

An increase in Calorie Intake is one of the key to Increasing Muscle Mass.

Increasing Muscle Mass lead to an Increase In Maximum Strength and Power.

Think of it like replacing your car engine with a larger engine with more Horsepower.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. I would recommend Enter the Kettlebell that contains the Rite of Passage. If you stay on that for a while, you will get stronger, more explosive, and get bigger. Like Pavel says in the book, it will make you a man among men. Haha
Good one!

I Also read feedback about the program series ‘the giant’ .
And listening to the StrongFirst podcast series on Spotify.

Therefor I wanted to get as much secondhand info as possible.

A program that:

1) uses movements that create maximal mechanical tension. Which drives hypertrophy. These will typically be moderate to high load

2) uses a volume and frequency suited to your training age and recovery ability

3) seeks to minimise fatigue and therefore reduce recovery time. This may typically be low to moderate reps with a high intra set rest period. 90 secs to 3 mins depending on movement

4) uses a medium you enjoy, (eg free weights, machines, kettlebells). But if you enjoy all things equally, consider choosing higher stability movements

5) uses movements that suit your body and carry a low injury risk

6) takes sets close to failure. The effective reps model holds that around the last 5 sets of a set to failure are the effective ones. You can get here with high or low reps, but low reps create less fatigue. However, the last rep (the failure one) may increase recovery time so consider keeping a rep in reserve

I Also read feedback about the program series ‘the giant’
If you did the giant from 1.0-3.0, then you would certainly get some great training effects. I did 3.0 with a pair of 36's and it was a solid program. Holding double kb's overhead is much more challenging on the core than a single kb. If you don't mind spending some money, Plan Strong custom plans pack a lot of volume into an 8 week program. I had some good gains from 3 plans I did last year.

About me: 37 years old, martial art background. Have a good control over diet-rest-training.

I have read, watched and listened for a while to StrongFirst materials. Now I want to invest in a solid program and see for my self.

Thank you in advance.
A different answer... I'd schedule a call with an instructor for a form check and then get recommendations after..

Dialing in your form would allow you to safely optimize whatever plan you choose down the road

Thank you in advance.
I would suggest a barbell/dumbbell program over kettlebells, something like 5/3/1 Forever by Jim Wendler and picking a hypertrophy focused version from the book. I think you will have the most and quickest results from this.

Unless you WANT to do kettlebells, in which case I’d suggest either Easy Muscle or Maximorum, both by @Geoff Neupert.

@Kadir Not StrongFirst certified nor have done the programs but-

Judging by the author’s at thirty-seven years old either of these books with take you on a journey to look and feel good in years to come.

Tim Anderson’s “A Simple Book of Strength”.
A Simple Book of Strength is a book about strength written for the every day person. This book is not intended for gym rats, powerlifters, bodybuilders, or performing strongmen. It’s for the person who wants to be stronger in their lives so they can feel good and enjoy their lives better.
Having strength just makes life better.
In this book, you’ll learn how to gain access to your full strength potential by engaging in simple movements that remove the inhibitions of your strength. You’re amazingly strong right now; this is a guide to learning how to express the strength you already have.
There are also strength routines in this book that you can use to build and harness your strength further.
The bottom line is, you are designed to be strong. If you want to understand and experience that design, read this book.

Dan John’s THE ARMOR BUILDING FORMULA BODYBUILDING FOR REAL PEOPLE
The Armor Building Formula is a complete guide to bodybuilding for everyday people who want to be strong and capable while looking good. It combines armor-building with bodybuilding in a reasonable and repeatable package.
It features a complete bodybuilding protocol using just kettlebells and gives extensive details on how to build your body in every possible kettlebell configuration you might have.

Training Objective

The Training Objective determine the type program.

Let's break it down...

Hypertrophy Training

This is the most effective for Increasing Muscle Mass.

1) Training Loads, Reps, Sets

a) Training Load of around 60-80% of 1 Repetition Max

b) Moderate to High Repetition Sets

c)Set of 8 Repetition and higher, 20 Reps Per Set

2) Moderate to High Sets

3) Rest Period

Rest Period between Set are usually around 60 Second.

The focus should be on "The Pump"; which triggers a downstream anabolic effect.

The Downside To Exclusive Hypertrophy Training

Hypertrophy Training increases Muscle Mass at the expense in a decrease in Maximum Strength and Power.

More on this in a minute.

Increasing Power

Power is elicited and developed with training certain Percentage of a 1 Repetition Max.

1) Traditional Strength Movements

These are Exercise like Squats, Pressing, Deadlifts, etc.

Power Training with these Movement is developed with Load of 48-62% of 1 Repetition Max.

2) Olympic Movements

Loads of 70-80% of an Olympic Movement develop Power: Power Cleans, Power Snatches, Clean and Snatch High Pulls, Push Press, Jerks, etc.

3) Kettlebell Swings

The Load is based on your Body Weight.

Kettlebell Swings with one-third to near Body Weight.

150 lbs Lifter Example

a) One-Third Body Weight would mean Kettlebell Swings with 50 lbs.

b) Near Body Weight would mean Kettlebell Swing that approach close to 150 lbs.

For Near Body Weight Swings what works is an inexpensive Home Made...

Hungarian Core Blaster

The cost is around $20.00 plus weight plates. It takes a few minutes to assemble.

4) Trap Bar Jumps

Trap Bar Jumps essentially are Olympic High Pulls.

If you don't have access to a Trap Bar, Dumbbell Jumps work.

Now let's look at...

The Foundation of Power

The Foundation of Power is built on Maximum Strength.

The fastest way for a Novice Lifter to increase Power is to Increase Maximum Strength.

For Intermediate and Advance Lifters, the key is to Increasing Power is to train both Maximum Strength and Power.

The Synergist Effect

This means that increasing one type of Strength enhance the other.

Think of it like adding 2 plus 2 and getting 5!

Dr. Michael Zourdos Conjugate Training Research

Conjugate Training mean training different type of Strength in the same program.

Zourdos' research found that when Hypertrophy, Power and Maximum Strength were trained in the same program, a greater Increase in Maximum Strength was obtained.

Dr. Brad Schoenfeld's Hypertrophy Training Research

Schoenfeld's research determined that an Increase In Muscle Mass was optimized when these type of Strength Training were performed..

1) Maximum Tension

This means Maximum Strength Training

2) Metabolic Stress

This means Hypertrophy Training

3) Muscle Damage

This means pushing an exercise to near failure or failure Infrequently.

With that in mind, the last week of a Periodization Training Cycle is where this need to occur.

Zourdos and Schoenfeld essentially rese are similar; training one strength enhance to the other for Maximum Strength, Power, and Hypertrophy.

There are two different method in which to produce these results.

1) Conjugate Training

Zourdos' Conjugate Method was...

1) Monday: Hypertrophy Training

2) Wednesday: Power Training

3) Friday: Maximum Strength Training

2) Block Training

This method breaks the different type of training into specific block in which only that one Strength is Trained.

The devotion of only one Specific Block ensures faster progress.

Let's use 6 Week Blocks which is only devoted to one type of objective as an example.

a) Hypertrophy Training Block

Greater gains in Muscle Mass occur.

The downsize, it Maximum Strength and Power decrease.

2) Maximum Strength Training Block

Greater gains in Maximum Strength occur.

The downsize, is Hypertrophy and Power decrease.

3) Power Training Block

Greater gains in Power occur.

The downsize is Hypertrophy and Maximum decrease.

Diet

An increase in Calorie Intake is one of the key to Increasing Muscle Mass.

Increasing Muscle Mass lead to an Increase In Maximum Strength and Power.

Think of it like replacing your car engine with a larger engine with more Horsepower.

Thank you for the
A program that:

1) uses movements that create maximal mechanical tension. Which drives hypertrophy. These will typically be moderate to high load

2) uses a volume and frequency suited to your training age and recovery ability

3) seeks to minimise fatigue and therefore reduce recovery time. This may typically be low to moderate reps with a high intra set rest period. 90 secs to 3 mins depending on movement

4) uses a medium you enjoy, (eg free weights, machines, kettlebells). But if you enjoy all things equally, consider choosing higher stability movements

5) uses movements that suit your body and carry a low injury risk

6) takes sets close to failure. The effective reps model holds that around the last 5 sets of a set to failure are the effective ones. You can get here with high or low reps, but low reps create less fatigue. However, the last rep (the failure one) may increase recovery time so consider keeping a rep in reserve
thank you for the detailed breakdown. What program from StrongFirst you would recommed for hypertrophy based on your experince?

I would suggest a barbell/dumbbell program over kettlebells, something like 5/3/1 Forever by Jim Wendler and picking a hypertrophy focused version from the book. I think you will have the most and quickest results from this.

Unless you WANT to do kettlebells, in which case I’d suggest either Easy Muscle or Maximorum, both by @Geoff Neupert.
I have had many great and fun traningsessions with kettlebell. I will check out Geoffs programs. Thank you.

@Kadir Not StrongFirst certified nor have done the programs but-

Judging by the author’s at thirty-seven years old either of these books with take you on a journey to look and feel good in years to come.

Tim Anderson’s “A Simple Book of Strength”.
A Simple Book of Strength is a book about strength written for the every day person. This book is not intended for gym rats, powerlifters, bodybuilders, or performing strongmen. It’s for the person who wants to be stronger in their lives so they can feel good and enjoy their lives better.
Having strength just makes life better.
In this book, you’ll learn how to gain access to your full strength potential by engaging in simple movements that remove the inhibitions of your strength. You’re amazingly strong right now; this is a guide to learning how to express the strength you already have.
There are also strength routines in this book that you can use to build and harness your strength further.
The bottom line is, you are designed to be strong. If you want to understand and experience that design, read this book.

Dan John’s THE ARMOR BUILDING FORMULA BODYBUILDING FOR REAL PEOPLE
The Armor Building Formula is a complete guide to bodybuilding for everyday people who want to be strong and capable while looking good. It combines armor-building with bodybuilding in a reasonable and repeatable package.
It features a complete bodybuilding protocol using just kettlebells and gives extensive details on how to build your body in every possible kettlebell configuration you might have.
At certain seasons I have had 5-8 traning sessions a week. Im not sure if this book will adresse what I’m exactly looking for?

Mass Made Simple by Dan John might be a good resource to check out. It is a lot of work. Plus Ill state the obvious, eat a lot.
Seems interessting. I will consider it. I just purchased the book since it only cost 3 dollars on itune. Have you tried the program your self? If so how does is differ/or not from Pavels philosophy?

Thank you in advance.

Eating enough and sleeping enough is more important than the specific program.

You can pick any program, but if you're not getting enough calories and rest, it won't matter.

Conversely, you can pick a sub-optimal program and if you're in an anabolic state, still gain muscle.

If you did the giant from 1.0-3.0, then you would certainly get some great training effects. I did 3.0 with a pair of 36's and it was a solid program. Holding double kb's overhead is much more challenging on the core than a single kb. If you don't mind spending some money, Plan Strong custom plans pack a lot of volume into an 8 week program. I had some good gains from 3 plans I did last year.
This is a good option. I dont mind spending for getting good value. At the end I might do 2-3 different cycles and stick to what my body responds to best.

Thank you for the

thank you for the detailed breakdown. What program from StrongFirst you would recommed for hypertrophy based on your experince?
Honestly I like Pavel’s old anti bodybuilding one - 3-5 x 3-5…. To further tweak it I’d allow use of machines which wasn’t in the original article, and consider a 4-6 or 5-8 rep range but that’s minutiae

There may be others I’m not familiar with.

Eating enough and sleeping enough is more important than the specific program.

You can pick any program, but if you're not getting enough calories and rest, it won't matter.

Conversely, you can pick a sub-optimal program and if you're in an anabolic state, still gain muscle.
I agree about the importance. But if eating and sleeping alone was that important, profetional joggers, wrestlers and golfers would more or less be in similiar shape. Lets say its one of the main pillars? :)

Back
Top Bottom