all posts post new thread

Scientific research on kettlebell training?

Alex Wolf

Level 4 Valued Member
Elite Certified Instructor
I am looking for resources, research papers and the like. I have found a few though google but I am wondering if there are more out there. If anyone as a resource or place where papers or articles are please let me know.

I have tried to search for such articles, but I often find that the experiments seems very irrelevant and far removed from how normal kettlebell people do their research.

I would be very interested to read experiments about how more intermediate and advance kettlebell practitioner benefits on relevant metrics after doing a well-written program.

I have tried to search for such articles, but I often find that the experiments seems very irrelevant and far removed from how normal kettlebell people do their research.

I would be very interested to read experiments about how more intermediate and advance kettlebell practitioner benefits on relevant metrics after doing a well-written program.
This is, in general, the problem with "scientific research" on "weight training."

I am looking for resources, research papers and the like. I have found a few though google but I am wondering if there are more out there. If anyone as a resource or place where papers or articles are please let me know.
Google Scholar will be your friend here.

Edit. Replied by accident lol.

I have some free time at work, so here are a couple of kettlebell papers with their results:

This study found that supervised high-intensity hardstyle kettlebell training significantly improved physical fitness in insufficiently active older adults. Participants experienced increases in grip strength, cardiovascular endurance, deadlift capacity, and repetitions in the sit-to-stand test. Leg and hip extensor strength also improved, along with functional capacity, as evidenced by reduced times for floor transfers and stair climbs. Body composition showed an increase in lean mass, and resting heart rate decreased. Additionally, self-reported health improved. Compliance was high, with minimal adverse events, demonstrating that the kettlebell training program was effective and well-tolerated.
--> Keep in mind this was in an insufficiently active group.

(Effects of supervised high-intensity hardstyle kettlebell training on grip strength and health-related physical fitness in insufficiently active older adults: the BELL pragmatic controlled trial - BMC Geriatrics)

This paper found that, when compared to squat swings and leg extensions, the hip hinge activated the hamstrings more than the other 2 movements.

(Hamstring Myoelectrical Activity During Three Different... : The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research)

The addition of kettlebell swing training to the regular skill-training protocol in young female gymnasts resulted in notable improvements in their cardiorespiratory fitness. Specifically, the combined training led to significant increases in maximum oxygen uptake and the oxygen uptake at the second ventilatory threshold. Both training protocols also reduced peak heart rate during routines and lowered blood lactate levels post-routines, improving cardiorespiratory and metabolic demands as well as recovery kinetics during simulated competitions. However, the enhanced cardiorespiratory fitness observed with the kettlebell training did not translate into significantly better recovery between routines compared to the regular training alone.

(Effects of kettlebell swing training on cardiorespiratory and metabolic demand to a simulated competition in young female artistic gymnasts)

Just some example. Terms and conditions apply- read the papers, look at their strengths and weaknesses, methods, etc. But as I said, Google Scholar will be your best friend.

There is one paper that floats around the internet that mentions the snatch working every muscle in the body, although I can't find that one. Happy reading!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom