all posts post new thread

Best indoors replacement for Z2 running

barna284

Level 2 Valued Member
I've always been more into strength than conditioning, but lately all the work on Zone 2 cardio and it's health benefits got me thinking about balancing my training a bit.

I wanted to start a walk/run program to slowly aclimate myself to running, but autumn here has been harder than usual and winters seems like it will also be colder than last year. I've already been getting some minor respiratory nags and with 2 kids and a masters degree courseload, getting sick is a risk I'd rather avoid. I'm therefore looking for an indoors conditioning alternative to do 2-3 times a week on the days I'm bot strength training.

Which of all the KB or BW-based programs by Strongfirst more closely resembles the adaptations of Z2 work? I've heard about A+A, Q&D, Kettlebell Axe and the like, but I'm not sure about the differences between them.

Thanks in advance!

I've always been more into strength than conditioning, but lately all the work on Zone 2 cardio and it's health benefits got me thinking about balancing my training a bit.

I wanted to start a walk/run program to slowly aclimate myself to running, but autumn here has been harder than usual and winters seems like it will also be colder than last year. I've already been getting some minor respiratory nags and with 2 kids and a masters degree courseload, getting sick is a risk I'd rather avoid. I'm therefore looking for an indoors conditioning alternative to do 2-3 times a week on the days I'm bot strength training.

Which of all the KB or BW-based programs by Strongfirst more closely resembles the adaptations of Z2 work? I've heard about A+A, Q&D, Kettlebell Axe and the like, but I'm not sure about the differences between them.

Thanks in advance!
Being out in the cold doesn’t make you sick.

But indoors I’d suggest a rower, treadmill, or bike. Or all three.

If you want to acclimate to running, you need to run.

If you are seeking to replicate Z2 training and adaptations I don’t think kettlebells are your best option ( snatch walking could work perhaps).

Indoor cardio machines are great for Z2 work. If you are looking for a low cost option, step ups work great. Just need to play around with step height, weight and cadence to find your preferred HR zone.

If you are looking for a low cost option, step ups work great. Just need to play around with step height, weight and cadence to find your preferred HR zone.
That's a great one I forgot!

Two strategies - low and slow, finding an even cadence that gets you to the edge of zone 2/that first ventilatory threshold, OR a "HIIT" interval style from that SF Article.

I use a stationary bike and a small step and a high step when I want to do these tings inside. I also train AXE, but I get another feeling from Axe than I get from Z2. Especially stationary bike could be done very low intensity, for a long time, and relatively close to bedtime without interfering with sleep. Axe is a bit more draining, and interferes more with sleep when I do it closer to bedtime.

I have used Step Ups during winter season and they worked great. I had no problems coming back to running in spring.

Step ups improved my ankle, knee and hip stability.
I also did some low level training for lower leg elasticity (5-10 minutes of rope jumping or indoor barefoot jogging) once or twice per week.

I started a thread on Step Ups some time ago and shared some insights in there:

If you're adamant on staying indoors (which I am not always a fan of personally - I even take my rower outside or at bare minimum have my garage wide open), I would recommend some kind of step up protocol if you're looking for minimal equipment (a 16/20/24 box can be had cheap). If you're willing to invest in equipment, I would be hard pressed not to recommend the C2 products. I prefer the rower over all but their bike is a great piece as well.

You don't mention if you have any equipment - I have an assault bike and use it for this this purpose through winters. A rower would be my 2nd option. Kettlebell work such as the programs you mentioned are ok, but will not get you nearly the same adaptations that you seem to desire.

Without equipment, step ups are great and I 2nd recommendation from above. If you have a 10-15 yard space with a decent ceiling and reasonable type of flooring, I'm a huge fan of skip variations, side to sides, as a great way to get out of the monotony. I tend to mix in shadow sport drills for tennis as well through the long boring winters.

It gets a lot of hate, but if a gym has a stair master I love it for zone 2 work.

They make some very comfy ice cleats now that worked pretty well when I lived where there was icy sidewalks. I forget the brand and I know actual alpine athletes will point out they aren’t actually cleats.

They make some very comfy ice cleats now that worked pretty well when I lived where there was icy sidewalks. I forget the brand and I know actual alpine athletes will point out they aren’t actually cleats.
Dude I love microspikes. Kept me outside regardless of the weather.

Of course now I live in Texas where they are COMPLETELY useless... Oh well...

I am looking at getting a stationary bike for zone 2 training as a variation. I skip rope for zone 2 cardio. If you have skipped rope for sometime it is easy to stay at zone 2.

Back
Top Bottom