all posts post new thread

Kettlebell 10,000 swings - Return TO the kettlebell

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kyrinov

Level 5 Valued Member
Hey folks, just wanted to share some reflections as I tackle the 10k swings program as laid out by Dan John. I have been off the kettlebell for most of the summer after doing a cycle of ROP with honestly so-so results. I switched to work on some pure strength and skill work doing a minimalist handstand/l-sit/deadlift program for a while. I found the program generated some great visible and functional changes. My kb press felt much stronger and easier with the 32 than it did after the ROP cycle. I went from struggling to hold a solid handstand for even a second to being able to hang out in the handstand for 10+ seconds comfortably. My L-sit hit parallel consistently and I worked comfortably with 315 in the deadlift on a near-daily easy strength basis.

I found the problem with this program as was the case with my other pure strength training methods in the past is that it really took the wind out of my sails. I would feel mentally "fuzzy" after each training session, less resilient to stress, movement felt more challenging. It wears on you. I am particularly vulnerable to this because my recovery is always very subpar by the nature of my life. I work two jobs, one as a part time paramedic where I occasionally work night shifts and on days am up at 3 or 4 AM to get to work on time, one as a college teacher where I'm always under pressure from students and admin. Meanwhile I"ve got the world's most active and non-sleeping one year old as a daughter. Food and sleep are inevitably always less than idea. So as much as I do gain from this kind of work, it doesn't really make sense for my lifestyle in the lounge run....it just wears me out.

Enter the Kettlebell! I decided to go back to this old favourite for Dan John's 10k swings as it seems to tax me less and make me feel better. My did it ever! I feel bouncy, lighter, easier going, more resilient and just overall happier now that I'm swinging again. And I am surprise to find that the load is not too severe for me doing the program with the 24k. I think its just the fact that I do LOADS of submaximal lifting at work and at home so my body recovers quickly from that work. Anyhow....really feeling much better mentally and physically with the kettlebell...reminds me of why this was my entry into strength work. I got thinking that the KB fits into something I'll call the "Russian System of Health" which relates to Systema, Pavel's work and some other stuff as a larger cultural entity. I'd lump it in with cold water immersion, fasting, hesychastic breathing practice and certain movements. I am slowly coming around to the idea that the KB is more of a health and wellness tool than a performance tool....not that it doesn't aid performance but by a gentler, deeper route than something like a barbell. This is not a scientific statement but a kind of feeling I have from how my body responds to each type of training.

Hello,

@Kyrinov
I did the 10k swings program last year and have the same feeling. Even if it is a single move based protocole, it gives a terrific work capacity. I tested my max pull ups before and after. Despite a month doing only swings, I almost reached my max. I was really impressed. Sometimes, it is good to get back to basics : one move, massive sets / reps, don't need to think. This 10k is very good to reduce stress and make a solid GPP

Besides, I also read your post about your minimalist program (it seems very nice because I also look for basic and resilient ones). I think this massive amount of swings will help you with your DL, right ?

Do you continue your minimalist at the same time ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Interesting details, @Kyrinov . I've been considering 10K after finishing this round of ROP-- I really want the 1/2 bodyweight press -40K in my case- but ROP does make me feel more 'beat-up' than S&S. Also, I could stand to lose some weight.
-Did you do only 2-handed swings, or mix them up?
-The swing method for 10K seems to be more like 'shadow swings' in S&S: an aggressive, snappy, high energy 2-handed swing. Did you do it this way?

Hello,

At the beginning, it could be difficult to do only OA swings. Nevertheless, during this program, you will progressively insert OA swings, until doing them only.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@Kyrinov I had a similar experience.

I also took on the 10k Swing Challenge and I wasn't impressed with the results. I was tired all the time and sore all the time. The program gave me a ravenous appetite, so I ate less-than-healthy. Because of the eating and stress, I was gaining weight in muscle but a lot of it was fat. I didn't feel like the swings were getting easier; I was getting weaker. I was flat out miserable for that entire month. I stuck to it out of principle, but man, I hated it.

If I were a high school coach (like Dan John), and needed a kid to pack on some pounds, I would take this program. You need to EAT to survive this program, and you will pack on the pounds. With a young kid's metabolism and recovery, I can see this program being really good. For a sedentary working adult that has pounds to shed, there are better options.

Its hard to get results when you are not sleeping 8 hours a day ;) good you find something that works

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom