all posts post new thread

Progressive overload for hypertrophy

Gary W

Level 5 Valued Member
Training for hypertrophy, first excersise im doing 4-5 sets.
Whats the best way to use progressive overload when weight is limited and doing mainly bodyweight.
Take dips as a example last time i did 13 13 11 11, should i aim to get all 13 before then going first set to 14?
Or is there a better way?

Training for hypertrophy, first excersise im doing 4-5 sets.
Whats the best way to use progressive overload when weight is limited and doing mainly bodyweight.
Take dips as a example last time i did 13 13 11 11, should i aim to get all 13 before then going first set to 14?
Or is there a better way?
Couple quick ways:

1. Density before adding weight - e.g. 50 reps in under 20 min, add weight
2. Doing 2-4 sets to failure
3. Building volume - 3 sets to failure, adding weight when you can get 50 in those 3 sets
4. Increase difficulty of the exercise - e.g. tempo changes, pauses, 1.5 reps, more difficult variation
5. Add a band (cheap, portable, and with a lot of bodyweight stuff it'll actually make the easiest part harder and the hard part easier)

John K's response is really good. I'll add my 2 cents as I am in the same boat as you on some exercises (limited weight). Here are just some ideas I have had to continue progression when limited. Before getting into that I want to suggest that constant frequent progression is not necessarily needed for hypertrophy. In the long run, progression is needed, but it doesn't have to be constant/frequent. I've seen some gains in the past just doing "maintenance" workouts and then making larger less frequent jumps.

In no particular order:
  • Pre-exhaustion - If there is a movement that you cannot progress in load (ex: Pushups) do a movement for similar same muscles before moving to that. Depends on your equipment, but for example with pushups, I usually do this as a second exercise now and will do something like KB press first.
  • Vary your volume (# of total reps) - In you example (13,13,11,11 = 48 reps). Some days, go higher number of total reps over more sets/time (ex: 8x8) and then other days do less reps but in less time (ex: 16,12,10 = 38 reps).
  • Myo reps / Rest Pause - You didn't mention how long your rest breaks are now, but lets assume you are doing those 48 reps with 90 seconds between sets. Instead, do something like this. (14-15 reps, rest 20 seconds, 5-6 reps, rest 20 seconds, 4-6 reps, rest 20 seconds, 2-5 reps.) You'll get less volume this way but its higher density.
  • Cluster Sets - Similar to Myo reps, but this time I'd avoid fatigue and keep the reps more constant. Something like 6-8 reps on the minute (EMOM) for X minutes. Maybe start with about 8-10 minutes and then progress upwards as you are able to.

This along with John K's recommendations should cover almost everything you can do. The only other advise I have would be to find a way to add some load for variation. As your endurance improves and you start getting to where you can do sets of 15-20+ it would be really good to have a weighted option where you could train in the 5-10 range.

For bodyweight, I do usually 3 sets of 70% RM, 1 set at 80%, 2 sets to failure.
Pre-exhausting, Iso-holds, and slow eccentrics all are good.

Back
Top Bottom