all posts post new thread

Hypertrophy Dan John ABC

Can anyone tell me how applicable it is for someone like me, who mainly uses weighted calisthenics and one heavy sandbag that doesn't have handles? Some of Dan's stuff easily transfers to what I do, while with others I feel like I'd have to start tweaking... and I'm definitely not in a place with my training that I can tweak Dan's stuff without ruining it.

I see it's written for kettlebells, which makes me think it'll use loading parameters that i can make work. Ah, heck with it, it's only $20 and his last few book were well worth the money for me.

EDIT: bought it.

EDIT 2: he says right in the book, "Can you get big with bodyweight exercises? No." lol at my crushed spirits. Luckily he makes the formula pretty easy to build muscle by lifting stuff and I'm pretty sure I can do it with my sandbag. A good purchase, for sure -- the main thing I get out of Dan John's books is a reminder of what sensible training looks like.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me how applicable it is for someone like me, who mainly uses weighted calisthenics and one heavy sandbag that doesn't have handles? Some of Dan's stuff easily transfers to what I do, while with others I feel like I'd have to start tweaking... and I'm definitely not in a place with my training that I can tweak Dan's stuff without ruining it.

I see it's written for kettlebells, which makes me think it'll use loading parameters that i can make work. Ah, heck with it, it's only $20 and his last few book were well worth the money for me.

EDIT: bought it.
To do the ABC with the heavy sandbag, no handles I’d say:
Ground to shoulder R
Ground to Shoulder L (2 cleans)
Somehow get it overhead, might not be doable depending on the bag
3 Bearhug squats

I’ve done the ABC with my Brute Force bag but that has handles so different than your situation.

To do the ABC with the heavy sandbag, no handles I’d say:
Ground to shoulder R
Ground to Shoulder L (2 cleans)
Somehow get it overhead, might not be doable depending on the bag
3 Bearhug squats

I’ve done the ABC with my Brute Force bag but that has handles so different than your situation.

Fantastic, thank you! It won't be going overhead, but I can probably string together another sandbag lift to keep the body under load. Excited to read the book tonight.

Purchased -- I'm working through The Giant currently, but this looks like a good option for afterwards. In particular, he makes use of a 2+3+5+10 rep scheme for presses that should work for the bell that used to be your 10RM pre Giant. Also, I've never had much of a plan for how to include ABCs in a program.

I'll be buying the book soon. But I did follow the template of alternating ABC with pressing days that DJ talked about on his podcast and on his forum. It was the first hypertrophy routine that actually delivered as promised. I typically look tall and lanky, I'm actually filling out shirts now.

I've been very excited and have been looking forward to this book. Just bought it, thank you @Dan John for ANOTHER amazing product at an INCREDIBLE price. In the days where it is $50 for a 20 page article/program, you still provide amazing - and effective! - content at an unbeatable price, despite being so well known you could charge folks easily double. Can't wait to read and implement.

I bought this on my way to work and read it through on my way home. Always liked Dan Johns writing and humour, he teaches well and the point comes across in a good way.

After my first read through I have to say I really like it. I have been thinking about running MMS for a cycle of muscle building but I might give this a whirl instead, I will see how I do. But I also know I am getting older so this might be a good ace to have up the sleeve and I think I might have enough of both time and energy to do this during the harder working part of my year. Will re-read again and decide.

Up until this point I have been running 2 weeks LCCJ from ROTK and 2 weeks easy strength and I can see myself rotate in the ABC routine for kettlebells in this somewhere. Will have to run it once to decide.

Back
Top Bottom