all posts post new thread

Old Forum 40 day program with shoulder injury

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Craig Fern

Level 5 Valued Member
I recently discovered kettlebells and Pavel’s work over the past 4 months and have read several of Pavel’s books , including PTTP, ETK and super joints. This forum and community have been an incredible source of information.

I have a nagging shoulder injury over the past year that is limiting how I can train. I was diagnosed with a rotator cuff tear and AC joint impingement last year. The shoulder is slowly getting better but deadlifts and pull ups seem to aggravate it so these are out for now. I have been working on my swings and have been slowly increasing the weight. I have worked with an RKC instructor ( no strongfirst instructors in my area) and recently did the one day strongfirst kettlebell course in NYC. I haven’t done any pressing movements in over a year so I am very slowly learning the TGU.

I am 52 years old and pretty lean at 5’11 and 155lbs. My goals now would to be to increase my strength without exacerbating my shoulder injury.

I was thinking of doing the 40 day program with this set up and was wondering if this is an appropriate set up given my current limitations or should I set it up another way?

Warm up
Deadhangs from pull up bar (this seems to be helping my shoulder tremendously) Various warm up exercises as outlined in Pavel’s books
Armbar/TGU

Front squat  2x5
Barbell hipthrusts 2x5
DB row 2x5
Push ups (slowly increasing these as tolerated)
Ab pavelizer 2x5
Swings 40lbs one set of 25

Do this 4 days a week and add in one or two conditioning days of hill sprints or jumping rope

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Craig, is your doc OK with you doing get-ups? If yes, I would do nothing but swings, get-ups, and goblet squats until you can comfortably do get-ups with 32kg.  Then you may choose to go even heavier or consider another plan.

Thank you sir for the quick response. Both orthopaedic surgeons I saw said I can do any exercise as long as there is no pain so i will start this and see how it goes regarding any discomfort.

should I do the program minimum and if so how should I incorprate the goblet squats?

I saw this in one of your earlier posts

"Here is a great way to incorporate the standard GSQ into your training, as suggested by Dan John. Do a set of squats before each set of swings with the 1:5 rep ratio (2SQ+10SW, 3SQ+15SW, etc.). Remember to change the stance (wider for SW, narrower for SQ)."

Thank you again,

Craig

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom