all posts post new thread

Old Forum 44k Military Press PR!!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

John Spezzano

Level 6 Valued Member
Senior Certified Instructor
Elite Certified Instructor
Hey folks,

For those of you who missed the initial part of this thread I have been following one of the Chief's experimental Military Press cycles to get my 1RM over 40k.

In short, the program was awesome! I am 45 years old and weigh 175. In 2012 I had to press the 40k for my Level II cert. I could do it on the right but not even come close on the left. During the course of this cycle I had some minor shoulder issues on the right that gave me some off days. In general I feel that I press much better on the left now than the right.

In any event, while some days I had challenges on the right, the left performed well consistently. Like I said, I had never even come close to pressing the 40k on the left, and this cycle would hopefully get me above the 40k!

The program was outstanding and I was successful in pressing the 40k on both sides at various times during the cycle, which was already an improvement from my initial Level II cert. The last day of the program was this past Saturday and I'm proud to say that although the 40k was out of reach on the right (some minor pain issues) I was able to press the 44k successfully on the left! It was definitely a max effort (as this video shows).

Thank you Chief!

jvs

Thank you for the programming that made it possible, sir!

That was a Man-sized grind!

I got a later start on my program than most folks due to having an incompatible work schedule in May, but after six sessions I can see where it leads. I've had a couple grinds like that deep in the session - a skill I've only fairly recently developed.

John - That was AWESOME!  Had to restrain myself from shouting out encouragement as you "ground" through the sticking point (kids are asleep)!  I'm in week 8 currently and feel like a kid the week of Christmas!  Can't wait to see how the final session goes.  Congrats again!

Thanks Jonathan. I was blown away by the improvement in such short period of time!

Impressive.

Where can I learn about the Chief’s experimental Military Press cycle?

Thanks.

L

Len, at some point, probably next year, these programs will be put in a book.

Meanwhile, we are planning a special seminar open to SFGs only in which I will go over the process of strength program design in great detail.

Thanks, Pavel.

I look forward to the book. I've been working 3 years toward my goal of pressing half my body weight. Been doing KB's 9 years. I'm stuck at 28 KL's. I'm 57 years old & 160 pounds. Hopefully this new program will make a difference.

Pavel, I have trouble making it through 5 ladders without extreme soreness or loss of form. I'm 57  (160 lbs., 5'6") & tore a rotator cuff some years ago. My work includes travel. So what would normally take a week, can take me 2 weeks. I can easily press the 28 on the good side. Takes more effort on the torn side. I can't budge the 32.  That's a long way of saying I have not stuck to the ROP as prescribed in number of ladders or days of the week. I have also taken a break from it & easily did Neupert's Strong program with double 24's.

Thanks!

John, great effort!

Len, it sounds like you're in the same boat as me ... when I figure it out, I'll let you know.  It's a work in progress right now ...

Thank you guys. It was a blast. During the cycle I also worked on Iron Tamer's bent press protocol. Talk about awesome! I hit a 36k on both sides last week! I need a 40k for the Level 2 recert, so confidence is high. I am grateful to have access to such great training minds!

Thanks again!

jvs

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom