all posts post new thread

531, TB or something else

Deadsandpress

Level 2 Valued Member
Hi guys and girls firstly a little something about me;

Age 34, Male
Weight: 81.7kg
Years lifting 5-6 on and off but only really last 8-10 months have gotten serious.

Best Lifts
Squat: 145kg
Press: 70kg
Deadlift: 170kg an extra one would of been a totally epic grinder
Bench: 95kg

I followed a LP for the first 4 months and got a lot stronger from it, was I ready for a change? Physically maybe, probably not, but I felt I needed it mentally so I picked up 531 Forever. I’ve ran 5s Pro 5x5 FSL and most lately 5s Pro BBB FSL all of which I have really enjoyed.

My conditioning to say the least has been very basic, VERY! it’s been 20-30 rowing, weighted vest walking, occasional 10 miles rides into work (non optional sometimes, wife steals my car, not literally)

I would really like to include some heavy bag work for conditioning which I’m guessing falls into the hard category, it’s purely for conditioning and what I enjoy not as a sport itself not anymore anyway.

Some of the 531 templates particularly in forever give a breakdown of how many hard conditioning days are allowed, how many easy conditioning days etc

TB seems a very useful program to follow however coming from a fair amount of volume I’m worried following something like operator or Zulu loses all of the supplemental work involved and therefore I would regress.

Has anyone ran any of these programs or something from here that they can suggest that could work alongside 20-30 mins boxing conditioning or am I totally over thinking it and should just do it anyway regardless.

My initial thoughts on a 531 Plan was to jump back onto 5x5 FSL but remove the FSL sets from the deadlift day and just do the 3x5 work and remove all supp/assistant work to allocate a hard conditioning workout in their.

Any thoughts would be great, and feel free to be as hard as necessary because my thinking could be way way off

Thank you for reading

We have almost identical lifts, history, age, and weight. I also ran LP programs, 531, TB, etc.

What I learned is it doesnt really matter what you chose but that you choose to do it. Stay consistent and any tried and true template like 531 or TB is going to work.

If I were you (which I was) I would at least try TB. Its very similar to 531 but it does strip out some volume in the weightroom, but it makes up for it with the conditioning. Buy both TB2 and TB3 books and dont skip base building. You won't regret it and you won't deteriorate away. Just eat good and follow it into a Zulu or Operator template. When I did this I was in the best shape of life, my resting heart rate was super low and my BP dropped dramatically. I also got stronger and hit my heaviest squat of 330. I have had a detour into Kettlebell programs lately but when/if I got back to a barbell I will look to TB. Its more plug and play friendly.

A close second is 531 Krypteia tho. That program was a blast and opened the door to supersetting for me.

Good luck brother

Back
Top Bottom