all posts post new thread

Old Forum 600 Beast Swings Later

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Physical Culture

Level 5 Valued Member
On January 1, I started an experiment with my new beast kettlebell.  I took a break from 2x24k long cycle and set out to do 100 beast swings and 100 2x24k jerks each training day.  As of the 9th of January, I was at 600+ reps for both lifts.

I'm noticeably stronger.  Swings and cleans are easier, and my legs feel stronger.  I've had hypertrophy I can see in my traps and spinal erectors.  I've hit a PR in jerks- 7m @ 6rpm with 2x24k.  I've added chins to offset the jerks- 0ver 200 total since the first of the month.

My conditioning is up as well.  My appetite went through the roof, and I've been eating everything in sight, but I'm only up half a pound.    Lots of heavy swings and jerks are definitely good for  you.

So why am I quitting?

My hands are ruined.  In the last two and a half months I did 38 sets of long cycle with 2x24k that were over 5 minutes in length.  Over 1,100 reps of long cycle in 8 weeks.  I thought my hands were conditioned and tough.  I do chin ups, and I've deadlifted for years, though I don't currently. I was a martial artist for years.  Now I can't make a fist with my right hand, and fingers on both hands are bandaged because the skin is split open, all along the first bone from the knuckles.  They have a deep pain like they are bruised.  As long as I've been lifting kettlebells, it's never hurt my hands like this.

Too much, too soon.  2x20k long cycle does not hurt my hands, and 2x24k is okay in moderation, so I'm going to leave the beast alone until my hands heal, then come back to it, building up in volume.

It stands to reason, I guess.  If the virtual weight of the beast at the bottom of the swing is 3x, then that's like deadlifting 315 for 100 reps per session.  That's a lot for the hands to take.

Lesson learned.  Luckily, I just type on a computer all day.  If I were a fireman, paramedic, or soldier, I would have really compromised my ability to perform.

Good stuff Steve! I've been swinging the beast and double 28's more and more. The work is paying dividends for sure. Hit a few sets of 10 one arm beast swings but  my grips are always a work in progress.

Steve,

Nice work!!!   My question for you-Were your swings with the beast 1 handed hardstyle?  I ask because I am using 70 pound right now and am ordering next one-either 90 pound or beast and not sure which one.

Thanks,

Brian

Hi Brian,

I would have the same question - I feel myself strong with the swing: training with the 40kg 2H (no beast available, but tested it - possible), 2*28kg, 36 1H, but 1H the beast is somewhere in the future.

Hi Steve,

was the beast swing the only change you brought in?

I can hardly imagine whether swings of that short interval as 10 reps could make the hands so roughed up, esp since you very well used to those.. or is the 6day/week also new (so weight and density up)?

Is the grip of your new (home made) bell possibly too rough? How did you care for your blisters?

Cheers,

Sven

Sven,

The swings were the only change that would make a difference in my hands.  My blisters were not the problem. I have blisters along my palms from kettlebell lifting, but the bruising and cracking was higher up on the fingers, mainly on the first and second fingers of each hand.  It was as if they had been slammed in a door- bruised, sore, and split open in several places.  I think it was more pressure than they were conditioned for, too often.  Maybe I was overgripping the bell because it was heavy.

Your Boss Status in the MetCon area seems to have overrun what your hands can take. Because you're in such fantastic aerobic condition, you were able to add a metric crap ton of extra work that didn't seem to you to be much of a challenge at all. It woulda killed and buried many of us in a shallow grave. Alas, your hands gave away the game and will have to catch up to the rest of you. Plus swings and cleans challenge different parts of the hand for many of us.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom