all posts post new thread

Old Forum A couple of questions

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

mordecai989

Level 1 Valued Member
First question: For the snatch test is it 100 reps total in 5 mins or 100 per arm?

Second question: What are some good kettlebell exercises to help with increasing ankle flexibility/strength? I'm in the end stages of therapy for a broken ankle and looking to add weighted exercises to help build my flexibility back up.  Any video resources(YouTube would awesome if its good info) would be incredibly helpful.

100 reps total in 5 minutes I believe and not per arm.

Ankle strength is improved greatly with farmers walks. Not sure about flexibility I am sure someone here can help you.

5 minute time limit,as many set downs or rest as needed but remember the clock is always running,switch hands as needed.Its a total rep count of both hands.I understand now the snatch test is done on the third day of the cert which you should be prepared for.

KB one legged DL's will certainly help.The foot is all over the place trying to stabilize everything above it.You may also want to try heel raises foot or feet to start with on a block.Add weight slowly either holding a KB or DB,or around the waist with a strap. I would make sure your also working lots of mobility in all directions.Also try walking bare foot.

After clearing weighted exercises with your Doctor and/or PT, I'd recommend Goblet Squats:

Dan John: Goblet Squat - YouTube

If you don't like the movie 'Excaliber,' or have a sense of humor, skip to 1:40

With ankle flexibility in mind, though hip flexors are emphasized, Phil Scarito demonstrates the exercise well here:

Goblet Squat - YouTube

In addition, you might consider a contribution from Steve Freides, the Cossack Stretch:

Cossack without and with kettlebells - YouTube

Brett Jones' 'Dynami will cover the initial exercise, in depth, and provide progressions. Buy it.

Pavel's 'Relax Into Stretch' and 'Super Joints' will address your flexibility/strength. Buy those too.

Good luck with your recovery and training goals.

The exercises are done with a stretch band rather than a kettlebell, but I can't recommend Dick Hartzell's stuff highly enough. I broke my right ankle twice as a kid; since picking up these exercises 6-7 years ago, I haven't had so much as a rolled ankle. I just do the drills while hanging out on the couch - no strict regimen or anything.

<a title="Dick Hartzell on Preventing Ankle Injury" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbcZC6zrYv8">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbcZC6zrYv8</a>

Thanks for the replies will be getting Relax Into Stretch once I can afford it. As for joint mobility I ain't IntuFlow(since its in YouTube and its a good mobility program from what friends have said that own it). Also that is great news for the snatch test... a simple 1-10 ladder(both arms)  sounds like the way to go.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back