all posts post new thread

Barbell Advise for a fat middle aged guy

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I would not recommend starting exercising with a barbell. I your condition, sorry, you will do more harm than good.

Trap Bar Deadlifts, to build some systemic strength and body weight stuff.

First, totally agree, trap bar deadlift would be a great place to start.

But, this is amusing to me simply because, to a real iron junkie, a trap bar and a barbell are not the same thing. To less experienced folks, they might as well be. Or worse, the trap bar looks "less approachable", because it doesn't look like the other bars and that's scary - when really it's more approachable.

Makes we wonder if the world might be a happier place if all the big-box gyms and recreation centers went with more trap bars than straight bars.

I recommend something like hip hinge - slowly build up the depth, bottom squat position to loosening the hips, hip flexor stretches, lunge/split squat variation (take easy on this), box squat, inclined push up (on wall, table...) to learn the plank...

I don't think it's hard. And also, I don't recommend Gama the great style of program. Much, much, much lighter, focus on skills and control.

First, totally agree, trap bar deadlift would be a great place to start.

But, this is amusing to me simply because, to a real iron junkie, a trap bar and a barbell are not the same thing. To less experienced folks, they might as well be. Or worse, the trap bar looks "less approachable", because it doesn't look like the other bars and that's scary - when really it's more approachable.

Makes we wonder if the world might be a happier place if all the big-box gyms and recreation centers went with more trap bars than straight bars.
Agreed, a good place to start for many. It has been awhile since I've used one, but I found them helpful for my long limbed students and many others.

I would like to hear Mr @Steve Freides's opinion. I remembered reading an article about him getting from a broked back to nowadays. He is also as same age group as op.
Another member could be very helpful is Mr Mark Reifkind, with his age and all of his injuries, he still figure out how to handle that.

Lots of good ideas. I’ll toss in a couple more. Over at Dan John’s forum is discussion of the new experiment of Easy Strength for fat loss. It’s a work in progress, but it might be just the thing. Work the basic human movements and walk or ruck five days a week totaling an hour each session.

Hinge- KB swings, or goat bag swings plus a deadlift variation. I like the trap bar
Squat- Goblet
Upper body push and pull- Whatever your shoulders allow

Dan John’s book Intervention has great info on the basic movements.

Get going, and keep going. You’ll get there.

vegpedlr - I have yet to see a squat listed in the ES for fat loss program, please advise where I might have missed it. For the purpose of Mr. Helms OP it doesn't appear that goblets would be disqualified considering basic movements and all, however.

While performing the program I have used one of Tim Anderson's warm-up resets; 20 Cross Crawls, 3 Segmental Rolls, 10 Rocks and 20 Baby Crawls. If Mr. Helms hasn't used the Rocks it would be a means to include the squat pattern. I tend to side with those who are emphasizing walking as a priority.

The program is enjoyable and the resistance portion goes quickly.

Goblets for mobility rather than focusing on load. When I’ve done ES I’ve done a few sets of swings alternated with a few goblets more as a warm up, not trying to progress the weight. Same idea for walking/rucking, whatever is appropriate.

While performing the program I have used one of Tim Anderson's warm-up resets; 20 Cross Crawls, 3 Segmental Rolls, 10 Rocks and 20 Baby Crawls.

I see some people using these primitive-type ground movements as warm-ups.

I have to admit, I find them odd, as it doesn't really match to any warm up I've done in sports (those were almost entirely thing we did on our feet).

What's the benefit of ground based warm ups if you're not doing mat work?

The ground work has loosened up tight spots such as my shoulders and increased my ankle mobility, although I should qualify my previous post by adding that TGU's, various rolls (shoulder, forward) and cartwheels are part of the picture.

My late father-in-law was able to play with my young sons into his mid-70's, he attributed that activity as part of being able to stay vital and energetic until bile duct cancer claimed him. He once was throwing the frisbee with us and while running to catch it he hit a dip in the yard and lurched forward. As he fell forward he did a forward roll, popped up and darn near caught the frisbee anyway.

That was more than enough proof that ground based movement gives benefits well beyond mats and competition prep.

I would like to hear Mr @Steve Freides's opinion. I remembered reading an article about him getting from a broked back to nowadays. He is also as same age group as op.
Another member could be very helpful is Mr Mark Reifkind, with his age and all of his injuries, he still figure out how to handle that.
@q.Hung, thanks for thinking of me here.

I hate trap bars. I own one because sometimes I like to set records at USAWA meets on them, but I almost never train with them.

Everyone should learn to deadlift. Put the bar up on blocks if you can't get down to it in good form.

I had a pretty terrible back injury at age 42 - badly herniated disc, in bed for a couple of months, about a year and a half until I could walk without a limp again. Small amount of permanent damage, small enough that I can still deadlift but I have a bit of numbness where the effected nerve goes, just above my right knee towards the inside of my thigh. It's a good party trick - if you find the right spot and do it pretty lightly, you can touch my leg there and I can't tell.

I'm 11 years older than the OP, currently getting ready for my first meet in my current age group, 65-69 years old. My training is primarily deadlifting. I keep 125 kg (275 lbs.) on my bar and that's the lowest weight I lift - I add 2.5's, 5's and 10's (5-1/2, 11, and 22 lbs, respectively) outside the clamps to get the various weights I train at. Hoping to pull 160 kg or more in a couple of days as I complete a planned, 12-week PlanStrong cycle.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom