all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Age is just a number

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ali

Level 7 Valued Member
Thought I'd recommend this book: age is just a number.
It's by a young British chap, Charles Eugster, who is a world record holder in sprinting, winning his first race as a 95 year old.
Now a youthful 97 he shares his views on age, from diet and nutrition to work and not retiring. Golf is not mentioned. Some really good insights and digs at societal expectations of getting older. An easy read, no fluff and what is seemingly common sense, you realise it is quite profound and uncommon. A little taster:

"Ten years had passed since I woke up to the horror of retirement. In that time, I had gone from a low point of feeling redundant, out of shape and effectively waiting to die, to a fit and motivated 95 year old with an ever expanding trophy cabinet. I had reinvented my body and fundamentally changed my diet. I wasn't on some restrictive regime that offered me no pleasure. I just ate according to my needs, enjoying every meal, and felt rejuvenated as a result."

And this:

At a track meeting..... "I was in competition with myself as much as with the traditional view that the very old were fit for nothing but a comfortable seat in the sunny spot at the care home."

It's full of stuff like that and down to earth inspiring. Put your slippers on and snuggle up with a nice warm cup of cocoa.

Hello,

Here is Fred Samson, at 75 yo doing a 1H elbow lever
fredsamson74lever.jpg

Kind regards,

Pet'

Fred Beckey
One of the most prolific and enduring climbers of all time.
94 Years
Still at it. Shown here at Squamish, British Columbia. Moving slow, yes, but moving...
IMG_0476.JPG

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom