all posts post new thread

Bodyweight AGT and muscular endurance

JamesH11

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi all
Long time reader of the site, first time poster.
So I read kettle bell axe and Al Ciampa stuff on AGT.
Apologies if this has been asked before but do you think this approach would work well with air squats (or with small amounts of weight) to build muscular endurance in the lower body; i.e. 5/6 reps but lots of sets and adequate active rest in between.
Thanks for contributing!

but do you think this approach would work well with air squats (or with small amounts of weight) to build muscular endurance in the lower body; i.e. 5/6 reps but lots of sets and adequate active rest in between.
From what I understand, it focuses on building "power endurance". For that you need to do powerful exercises.

If you are trying to max out bodyweight squats or pushups, why not do a lot of bodyweight squats and pushups?

Doing something simple like 2-3x a week do 15/3 week 1. Week 2 20/3, week 3 30/3 (scale to your numbers, but push every week. OK to rest pause the last few reps since we are planning on scaling faster than you can adapt).

See tactical barbell II: Conditioning for details.

From what I understand, it focuses on building "power endurance". For that you need to do powerful exercises.

If you are trying to max out bodyweight squats or pushups, why not do a lot of bodyweight squats and pushups?

Doing something simple like 2-3x a week do 15/3 week 1. Week 2 20/3, week 3 30/3 (scale to your numbers, but push every week. OK to rest pause the last few reps since we are planning on scaling faster than you can adapt).

See tactical barbell II: Conditioning for details.
Thanks, yeah I get what you're suggesting. I'd previously done a muscular endurance routine that was supposed to help with the downhill pounding you get in trail/mountain running but that routine left me so sore that it interfered with my aerobic training too much, so I was wondering if I could get similar muscular endurance benefits in an AGT way.

Hi all
Long time reader of the site, first time poster.
So I read kettle bell axe and Al Ciampa stuff on AGT.
Apologies if this has been asked before but do you think this approach would work well with air squats (or with small amounts of weight) to build muscular endurance in the lower body; i.e. 5/6 reps but lots of sets and adequate active rest in between.
Thanks for contributing!

They do that on Wednesdays in this article: StrongFirst for CrossFit - Breaking Muscle

Thanks, yeah I get what you're suggesting. I'd previously done a muscular endurance routine that was supposed to help with the downhill pounding you get in trail/mountain running but that routine left me so sore that it interfered with my aerobic training too much, so I was wondering if I could get similar muscular endurance benefits in an AGT way.
I'm not an expert, but from what I gathered from the Strong Endurance Universe article, there are other methods more appropriate for what you are doing.

@JamesH11 Pavel said in the Axe thread:

Thank you, TFL!

What is the Russian lunge? If it is the same as the split jump squat, yes. Yes to power pushups.

Yes, you can do a circuit, e.g. a set of swings every 90sec and inserting a set of power pushups halfway between sets of swings. The pushup reps may need to be lower due to the upper body's lower endurance.

Do not start this until you have months of training the swings and the pushups separately. You need to learn to understand the feedback your body gives you in AXE. It takes time and a second exercise muddies the water.

Later you can mix circuit and one exercise sessions within a week.
You could read the thread for more info on this:

The March 3, 2022 StrongFirst newsletter had a bodyweight A+A leg protocol that might also be found in the Bodyweight Fundamentals Course. It has helped with several hiking adventures for me.

The March 3, 2022 StrongFirst newsletter had a bodyweight A+A leg protocol that might also be found in the Bodyweight Fundamentals Course. It has helped with several hiking adventures for me.
Has anyone tried this?

I'm re-reading it and it looks interesting. Programmatically, would this count as your lower body workout or could you have a strength day and use this as endurance day?

Also contemplating which exercises might be appropriate, like if bodyweight squats are too easy and you're not ready to pistol. Maybe reverse lunges or split squats would be good.

I think you would find more success doing a Grease the Grove type of program for bodyweight squats where you do 5-20 reps a set and you do sets throughout the entire day. For example you could do a set every time you walk through a certain hallway at home. That would build up to a lot of sets during the entire day. You could also do a set on the hour or half hour depending on how your day is structured.

I think you would find more success doing a Grease the Grove type of program for bodyweight squats where you do 5-20 reps a set and you do sets throughout the entire day. For example you could do a set every time you walk through a certain hallway at home. That would build up to a lot of sets during the entire day. You could also do a set on the hour or half hour depending on how your day is structured.
Thanks John, I think this is probably the best option in this situation !

Back
Top Bottom