all posts post new thread

Old Forum Alternate strength standards

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

the hansenator

Level 6 Valued Member
I've been wondering; For people who don't have access to back squats or bench presses, are there other measures of minimum strength standards? Like in terms of pistols or kb squats or some kind of pushup?

Thanks.

The Beast Tamer challenge springs to mind, as does the TSC. Are you asking about non barbell lifts or just things that don't require a bench and a squat rack?

Sure there are, I don't have access to squat racks or benches, so I use, amongst others: deadlift, clean & press (barbell, single kettlebell, or double kettlebell), front squat, snatch, clean & jerk, get up, weighted pullup, etc etc.

Your standards should match your goals and your equipment. There are few absolutes. If you want to compete in powerlifting, yes you'll need a squat rack and bench (unless you do deadlift only), but for most people in most sports, and for those who just want to be healthy, mobile, and strong, you can find a way to assess where you are, measure progress, and set reasonable goals with any equipment.

Some tools are better suited to some tasks, but there are many ways to skin a cat (no offense to any of you with cats). Most of us can get along quite well without the bench or squat rack.

Chris,

For years the only standards I was concerned about were those set fourth in ETK, and then RTK.  Those standards matched my goals well.

Jason--Deadlift-only (or bench-only) is not 'real' powerlifting any more than heavy power cleans are competitive olympic lifting. And I say this as someone who will definitely go deadlift-only for many years to come and probably never do a full power meet. Just a technicality....

Chris, the main thing is that you should just be getting stronger. Set standards--meet them--repeat. A 'minimum standard' is just a minimum anyway, right?

Anyhow, some that spring to mind:

-strict one arm one leg pushup (SFB standard)

-100 snatches in 5.00 (SFG snatch test)

-half bodyweight one arm press, or bodyweight two arm press

-20 consecutive pistols each leg or 10 each leg with 45lb added (spetsnaz and swat standards, I believe, as pavel has said)

-deadlift 2.5x bodyweight

-20 strict bodyweight pullups

-the S&S 'simple' or 'sinister' marks

Choose a couple and go after them; then re-evaluate and set new goals.

Thanks for the replies.

In general, I think the advice to just get stronger good.

By minimum, I was thinking of the point of diminishing returns kind of thing. Like where they say improving your squat will improve your performance on the field until you reach a certain point. You know, when you're "strong enough" and it's time to focus on other qualities.

Oh yeah... I am thinking of where you don't have a bench or squat rack. Either for lack of equipment or you can't/won't do those exercises for whatever reason.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom