all posts post new thread

Barbell Another 40 Day/Easy Strength Thread

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

vegpedlr

Level 6 Valued Member
Feedback and comments please on my next 40 day program. (new poster, experienced lurker)

My main interest is running around in the woods all day. Currently that means MTB, trail running, and maybe an XTERRA. Neglected strength work for years and did Maffetone style training almost exclusively. That plus my age means strength work is important year round. I have run a 40 day twice before with good results. Last summer for maintenance I did basic KB/BW like the Dan Martin Program Minimum (DMPM) or Slurpees, which was fun. Just now finishing up a few weeks KB/BW. Looking to do another 40 day program, 3 days a week until June. Then back to KB/BW in the park. The big goals are a 100k MTB race, and a 5ok trail run, both in July. The bike race I've done many times, but I am trying to get significantly faster. The run is uncharted territory.

My current thoughts on exercises are as follows. Dan John says they are too complicated to really count as "Easy" Strength. I'm getting them from what I've seen other coaches do, including Mike Boyle and James Wilson. Compared to typical ES, I'm looking for moves that are a little closer to what the MTB throws at me.

Push: Clean and Press
Pull: Renegade Row
Hinge: Single Leg RDL
Squat: Bulgarian Split Squat
Anterior Chain: Ab Wheel
Assorted Carries
6th Movement("Everything Else")- Assorted TRX pulls

The push/pull moves look and feel to me like the way we must switch between pulling and pushing the bars to drive the bike through technical terrain. The press determines the weight, so the clean is a little extra, and similar MTB. I've never done Renegade Rows, but I found mountain climbers to feel similar to MTB, so this should work. I'm worried that it won't actually have enough pulling, so my 6th movement is asserted TRX pulling to help counteract the bike position. My little gym does not have adequate barbell equipment, so single leg work is the way to go. I've seen some cool stuff from Mike Boyle about single leg work, and lots of endurance coaches recommend them, since both cycling and running happen one leg at a time.

Thoughts, suggestions?

I'm an "experienced lurker" on the Dan John Forum and have followed your inquiries on the associated threads. I have no mountain biking experience but recently completed "Dry Fighting Weight" which involves the clean and press. I opted for barbells since neither my gym nor my garage has same-weight multiple bells. My experience was that three days a week was plenty with the clean and press so I think that you might be able to pull it off although Dan didn't think so. The routine made me a big fan of the C&P.

Last summer for maintenance I did basic KB/BW like the Dan Martin Program Minimum (DMPM)

I can't help you with your question, but the DMPM is new to me! Don't know who Dan Martin is, but he has on hell of a lot of posts at Dan Johns forum so I guess he have been around for quite some time :)

I've looked it up and there seems to be two "versions".

1. Program Minimum Minimum (From Dan Martin)

Goblet Squats (10-25)
    Swings 50-150
    Push Ups 25-50 (or Presses)
    Some kind of Loaded Carry

Change the reps each and every day, but do the movements. Coming back the next day is more important than any single training day.

Suggestions (From Dan Martin)
    *Be sure to walk EVERY day somehow and somewhere.
    *Do the hip stretch and chest and bicep stretch daily. (See first page)
    *Especially after waking, flying, driving, breathing: drink a lot of extra water.
    *Lift three days a week, at least. Either do the Three Day a Week Symmetrical Workout (below) or Swings and Pushups or the Program Minimum Minimum (below). Or, mix and match them any way you like!!!

2. Program Minimum for mature trainees (From Dan Martin)

Hill Sprints
    Kalos Sthenos Get-Up
    Goblet Squat
    Two-Hand Swing
    Farmer's Walk

The mature lifter is better off dwelling in the real rather than wasting time searching for the ideal.

The DMPM is a set of 10-15 swings followed by push-ups, goblet squats, and rows. Descend the reps for the strength moves 5-4-3-2-1. Finish with a suitcase carry. Slurpees are the same except delete the row and do 10 mountain climbers instead of push-ups. Last summer I would walk my KB to the park, switching hands as needed do the routine, walk back. As often as possible. It was fun.

This summer I will do something similar, focused on S&S. until then, Easy Strength.

I'm no cyclist(dont even own a bike) but you need to concentrate on upper body strength.You get plenty of leg work with all the biking you do.Do you have access to a pullup bar/ring work?
Do you have a barbell for DLs?
Low reps in the 3-6 rep range for 3-5 sets 3x/week--pullups,KB military presses or floor presses;dips--these should be tough,not fun(then its too easy);should not leave you feeling wasted or hurting. Moderate KB swings(one arm) should round it out.I would forget the mt. climbers,bulgarian splits,slurps/burpees,etc. Thats extra time you can spend on recovering.You only have so much time for your main sport(cycling) and need to factor in strength work along with rest and recovery.Hope this helps.

The DMPM is a set of 10-15 swings followed by push-ups, goblet squats, and rows. Descend the reps for the strength moves 5-4-3-2-1. Finish with a suitcase carry. Slurpees are the same except delete the row and do 10 mountain climbers instead of push-ups. Last summer I would walk my KB to the park, switching hands as needed do the routine, walk back. As often as possible. It was fun.

This summer I will do something similar, focused on S&S. until then, Easy Strength.

Do you know where I can read more about DMPM?

you need to concentrate on upper body strength.You get plenty of leg work with all the biking you do.

I'm a 10-yr "serious-recreational" road and MTB cyclist and would disagree there.... No doubt your legs have strength and endurance, but they can surely use more strength. It will be a one of the base components of getting faster later in the season as you stated as a goal.

I would forget the mt. climbers,bulgarian splits,slurps/burpees,etc. Thats extra time you can spend on recovering.You only have so much time for your main sport(cycling) and need to factor in strength work along with rest and recovery.

But I would agree with this. If you're cycling, you probably have no need for this type of conditioning work to be added in. Focus on strength.

Compared to typical ES, I'm looking for moves that are a little closer to what the MTB throws at me.

The push/pull moves look and feel to me like the way we must switch between pulling and pushing the bars to drive the bike through technical terrain. The press determines the weight, so the clean is a little extra, and similar MTB. I've never done Renegade Rows, but I found mountain climbers to feel similar to MTB, so this should work. I'm worried that it won't actually have enough pulling, so my 6th movement is asserted TRX pulling to help counteract the bike position. My little gym does not have adequate barbell equipment, so single leg work is the way to go. I've seen some cool stuff from Mike Boyle about single leg work, and lots of endurance coaches recommend them, since both cycling and running happen one leg at a time.

I like these thoughts and I remember how much better my MTB felt after doing kettlebell work for a while! I was amazed at the new level of control I had.

You mentioned the 50k trail run -- the sooner you get out and walk/hike/run, the better. Build up slow... My cycling legs have some serious deficiencies when I try to run if I neglect it for too long. Specifically, it feels like my heart, lungs, and big leg muscles are ready and can go forever, but feet, hip stabilizers, and hip flexors are way behind the power curve. Also a trail run is a lot of ankle stabilizing challenge compared to any sort of flat surface running, so definitely work a lot of that into training.

Just some thoughts, hope that helps.

Do you know where I can read more about DMPM?
Here is my thread at Dan John's forum asking the same question:
Origin of the DMPM? -
There are a couple versions of this article by DJ online that explain some options:
The Whys and Hows of the One Kettlebell Workout | DD
I guess it's now sorta open source, as there are a couple versions floating around. Some have a row, some don't, different order to the exercises, different exercises done to warmup or cool down, but the concept is the same.

Last edited:
Just some thoughts, hope that helps.
Thanks Anna. I was perhaps a little unclear in my OP by describing two different programs. I like to alternate a period spent in the gym with a period spent doing KB/BW moves. This discussion is about the gym routine. The KB stuff, like the DMPM, was for context, not confusion.

For the gym, I use DJ's basic human movements and Easy Strength as a template: Push, Pull, Hinge, and Squat. This time around I'm trying more complicated upper body moves that I think will carry over well to MTB. So, instead of just doing a military press for my Push, I'll add a clean from the hang. The quick push-pull transition is like MTB, and the clean motion is pretty close to pulling on the bars.

As for the lower body, the single leg work is dictated by the equipment available, as explained in the OP. But, for the sake of argument/discussion, when I asked for help with limited equipment issue, folks directed me to Mike Boyle. Here are two articles that gave me ideas:
The One Dumbbell In-Season Program
5 Superior Single Leg Exercises | T Nation
I am hoping that single leg work will reveal and correct any L-R imbalances.

Last year I did two MTB skills clinics a couple months apart. The first one I was coming off a few weeks with lots of squats. Working with the coach, I finally "got" the importance of the hip hinge. So I spent a few weeks doing Easy Strength with the DL and KB swings. The next clinic the coach complimented me on my strength, and my technical riding improved a lot. All this with very little time on the MTB due to an incredibly wet winter. Also, these ideas are not completely original, a lot of the inspiration comes from James Wilson. I'm just trying to simplify things for a personal fit.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Last edited:
I'm totally blown away by that video in the T-Nation article of Max Shank doing SLDLs with such incredible weight, both barbell and kettlebell! I never would have thought that was possible. Most people have a hard time doing a proper SLDL with no weight at all; i.e. a good hinge on one leg, touch kettlebell handle with the opposite hand, and come back up. I can do a decent set with picking up a 16kg kettlebell, but that's about it. Nowhere near my DL weight of 250-275ish lb. I'm intrigued as to where you could go with that. It does seem like it could have good carry-over to the MTB.

Sorry I don't have much advice for you, just following some of the thought processes. I like your idea of using the clean from the hang, seems like a good choice. Interested to see what you end up with and how it works for you.

So, after a little practice and experimentation, I've settled on the plan.

Barbell Clean and Military Press (Clean from the hang)
Pull-up
Single Leg RDL
Bulgarian Split Squat
Ab wheel
Farmer's Walk
Plank/Crawl circuit
TRX pulls

The renegade row failed since my gym has no hex DBs, so back to pull-ups. The C&P is press focused, I pause for a breath before a strict press. The SLRDL is an interesting balance move. The Bulgarian split squat has an added benefit of little hip flexor stretch for the rear leg. Together, I think the single leg exercises will,pay off. The TRX pulls are done between sets of the other exercises without much thought. The planks are the usual suspects with a bear crawl and crab walk in place.

This is the routine for March, April, and May.

Great work! What's next?

I love the simplicity and versatility of ES style, park bench training. If I only knew about this years ago. The monotony of it is part of why I like it. My primary sport is over thinking, and with ES there is nothing to think about, just do it.

Great work! What's next?

I love the simplicity and versatility of ES style, park bench training. If I only knew about this years ago. The monotony of it is part of why I like it. My primary sport is over thinking, and with ES there is nothing to think about, just do it.

Thank you, Sir!

The next cycle I'm planning is more speed strength type: cleans, snatches, cln&jerk -stuff. For the general strength I'll have 1-2 ES -type workouts per week with a little bit different exercises like snatch grip DL, back squat, press. The result with ES was so amazing I'll continue somehow with that type of programming.

For the next three weeks I'll have a transition period. Two weeks in the weightroom I'll do whatever I like, playing with kettlebells, tgu's, cln&press etc, some easy plyometrics in order to wake up my sleeping FT-fibers, some easy barbell work like snatch and jerk drills etc. Then I'm gonna be 1 week off on skis on the mountains... That's pretty much the plan for the near future. :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom