all posts post new thread

Barbell Any Reviews on Reload?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

TheWolf

Level 2 Valued Member
Has anyone tried the Reload program approach, from Pavel and Fabio?

If so, what feedback do you have?

I am looking to train four lifts, once per week each, using the Reload programming.

Yeah I did. That's the first program that I used when I start hitting barbell seriously.
I ran the version of 4 day per weeks, with each lift being practice twice per week (one heavy, one heavier).
Overall it was good. The first 2 weeks was rough but thing went really well on 3,4,5.
When the weight gets heavy I was nervous - maybe that's just me. So the last three weeks wasn't as smooth as the previous.

I just finished week 6 of my first reload cycle and so far so good. Once you have your numbers (I made a spreadsheet so everything is calculated automatically) it is very easy because you know exactly what you’re doing that day. For me, that style of training is awesome because there’s no wondering if I’m doing enough or too much, just do what the program says and trust the process.

I have done 5/3/1 in the past, and I really liked that program as well. Reload has you doing 5 x 5 with the same work weight on each set for the day, so it’s very straight forward. 5/3/1 has you using different reps and/or sets for every work set every day, so there’s a bit more thinking but it keeps it super interesting because you never do the same thing twice which was really fun and kept me focused.

Both have their nuances, and so far I like both. Both of them demand more food for recovery than I would prefer since I was hoping to lose a little fat, but this is not the best program for that goal. It works well for strength, and I’ll be running it again for sure for the next couple months.

I used it with a couple of PT clients and it works like a charm. I tested them, interpreted the tests and programmed them, so they didn't know they were following Reload. But everyone PR'd and 'hated' the journey (not really, but it's just honest hard work, every single session).

What I like most about the program is that you determine your own progress and starting point via the RM test @80% and that there is no gray area. With, let's say, Starting Strength, you start to easy, build up and finish overtraind. With Reload everything is spot on, every session is exactly what you can do and need.

Nothing but love, for Reload!

For all of you who followed the program, did you use the accessories protocol described in the book or did you change anything? I understand that the meat and potatoes of the program are the 5x5 sets, but the accessories seem very low volume, and it also asks for a lot of time on testing all these movements.
Thanks for your input?

I had to stop the accessories as I was getting burnt out. I have been doing a lot of high intensity programs the past 6 months, but I couldn’t keep it up with this program. I was trying to slim down so it’s not really the same as if I was eating a calorie surplus, but of all the programs I’ve done it’s the first one that I simply couldn’t keep everything and dropped to just the Heavy and Light 5x5 lifts and some ab work.

I'm on week 3 of Reload. I've been exclusively training with KBs for the past three years, after finally cancelling my gym membership and 100% training at home.

After a long vacation in Germany this summer, I ordered a trap bar, barbell and bumper plates. During my vacation I read the Reload book twice. Upon coming home, I spent the first couple weeks testing my estimate 1RM, then my 5RM, then back to a 1RM test, then figuring out my strength endurance and plugging in the % jump and 5x5 weight. The book explains all of that quite well.

As I'm just getting back into barbell work, I'm only doing the minimal program, but my lifts are the Trap Bar DL and Military Press. My days are:
Monday (Trap Bar DL, military press..... then KB GSQ, KB Row, Ab wheels for specialized variety)
Tuesday (A+A snatches and 30 mins LISS)
Wednesday (60 mins LISS)
Thursday (Military Press, trap bar dl..... then 1/2 kneeling KB Press, Chin ups, and power planks for specialized variety)
Friday (A+A snatches and 30 mins LISS)
Weekends are mostly hiking, biking with kids, fun stuff)

I really like the program, especially the start figuring out %s, 1RM testing, etc. I've had little experience doing that, so I might have conservatively laid out my jumps and 5x5. It's week three now, so the 5x5 is starting to feel heavy, and I'm fully expecting weeks 4 and 5 to progressively get harder. I've enjoyed the program so far. I can see running it a second time, a few weeks after the week 8 testing. I do not have a rack, so my choices next time round would be Zercher Squats, Low Handle Trap Bar DL, and Bridge Floor Presses.

For all of you who followed the program, did you use the accessories protocol described in the book or did you change anything? I understand that the meat and potatoes of the program are the 5x5 sets, but the accessories seem very low volume, and it also asks for a lot of time on testing all these movements.
Thanks for your input?
Since the 5x5 sets use barbells, I choose to use KBs for the accessories as you're guided to using a 10RM load and progress using volume. I've enjoyed the mix of heavy barbell work, then onto unilateral (in my case) KB work after. I spent a majority of time testing the 5x5 barbell loads, but didn't overthink the accessory loads, therefore my 10RM (for the KBs), might actually be anywhere from 8-12RM.

I ran it a few times in 2018-19 adding about 30 kg to my deadlift. I ran it as with both 3 and 4 lifts and avoided the accessories.

Thanks for all the replies! I'm still intrigued by the program, and I might go with my own template regarding accessories. I like more volume, especially for upper body lifts, so I'm thinking of upping the volume and drastically drop it for the 1RM week
Cheers!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom