all posts post new thread

Old Forum Assisted Pull-ups + a Scale

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JSStevens

Level 5 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Just wanted to share a method I started using to measure a client’s progress during assisted pull-ups on the way to earning the first strict unassisted rep.

Stand on a scale while pushing your training partner or client through an assisted pull-up rep.
Make a note of the highest weight achieved during the assisted rep and subtract your bodyweight from it.

This number gives you an idea of how much force is required to assist your partner into a full rep.
As your partner or client gets improves, this number will get smaller until no assistance is required.
For people who are still dialing in the technique, tension, timing and breathing this method can be used to show dramatic improvement within even a single session.
By tracking the progress using this method you can have a great motivational tool for clients whose first unassisted rep may still be a long way off.

Try it and let me know what you think.

Enjoy.

John Scott Stevens, SFGII, SFB, SFL

That's a great tip! Would be tremendously helpful for working on tension, like you mentioned.

Thanks Andy & yes I agree.
I had several client's just last week on their journey to their first legit deadhang rep who measured dramatic improvements in a single session using this feedback tool.
One female went from over 100lbs of force needed to assist her down to 30lbs, of assistance.
One male client went from 62lbs of assistance required to 12lbs by the end of the drill.
For them I drilled timing the initial pull with their initial burst of abdominal tension, then quickly transitioning to generating increased tension  through breathing to cruise through their first sticking point.    Instead of just having my word for it, we had the numbers to prove to they made considerable progress within a few minutes.

Would love to hear your personal results from this drill.

John, a good tip and one I've used myself to find out how close I was to being able to do a rafter pull-up.  (Before anyone asks, I found it read about 50 lbs most of the time and I got it down to 30 lbs but no further.  This was a few years ago - I'll have to try it again soon.)

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom