all posts post new thread

Strong Endurance AT testing

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

John Spezzano

Level 6 Valued Member
Senior Certified Instructor
Elite Certified Instructor
What a blast last weekend in Chicago was!! My mind is still blown.

Today I ran some of my guys through the aerobic threshold test that Pavel was kind enough to have me do for the crowd. ;-D

5 swings OTM, talk test, 6 swings OTM, talk test...etc. They did really well. Probably could have paid a little more attention to maximum power on every rep, but overall they did quite well. Some failed the talk test at 9, others 10 and one guy made it to 11 with the 24k but couldn't finish the 5 rounds. Overall it was a great session and I have plenty of info now for their upcoming training.

Have a great week, everyone!
John

Excellent!

@John Spezzano Two questions:
During the seminar you used a 32kg for two arm swings.

1) How did you decide on 24kg for your students?

2) I wrote down in my notebook the setup for the AnT test you did. However I seem to be having a hard time finding it on the manual. What page is it on?

Thanks!

@LeoTraining, simply because John is more of a stud than most of his students, and that's as it should be.

:)

I believe the instruction was a medium-sized bell, if that helps.

-S-

@LeoTraining, I believe Pavel mentioned being able to move the bell for 30 seconds without a dip in power output. This was why we decided on the 32k for my swings. I need to find the specific page for my own reference as well, but if you look on p 159 you'll see the test weight for plan 044 requires 15-25 powerful snatches without resting in the lockout. 20-25 reps is about 30 seconds of work (for both swing or snatch) so you can likely use this format to test.

Anyone else have more specific info?

This was the reason I chose the 24k for some of my students and others used the 20k. And these choices proved to be accurate. Most students made it to 10 reps if not through 10 and one made it into 11 but only for 1 round.

@Steve Freides, thanks for the kind words! ;-D

@Steve Freides Thank you.

@John Spezzano Thank you. I reviewed page 159 in the manual but the steps and set up for Plan 044 was slightly different than the notes I had.

Please review the set up below and let me know if this seems accurate.

To determine HR/AnT perform the following:
  • Select a medium sized bell for individual
  • Perform 5 reps EMOM for 5' of Swing/Snatch (John you did Two Arm Swings from my notes)
  • Perform the Talk Test after 5' (Recite Pledge of Allegiance for example)
  • If you pass, add 1 repetition and repeat 5' EMOM
  • Continue to add reps until you can no longer perform the talk test.
  • Per Pavel, back off 2 reps from threshold point and train there for 3-4 weeks or until PRE is easy and then retest.
Copying @Craig Marker on this since he was keeping time for John.

Please let me know if my notes are accurate.

Thank you all.

A reminder to us all to specify which version of the manual we're using. I am unfamiliar with First Edition; the May, 2018, Chicago event's manual was the Second Edition. Page numbers might be different.

-S-

@LeoTraining, I thought you were referring to how I chose the size bell to use for the test itself. Your notes are correct up to the number of reps to back off to for training. I completed sets of 10 OTM but failed the talk test so Pavel suggested I do sets of 7 OTM.

@Steve Freides, good point. I am also unfamiliar with the 1st edition. The page numbers I refer to are from the 2nd edition.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom