all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Audrey Burgio - 125 reps in 6 min!

Absolutely. The same way weightlifting produces all those qualities (maybe minus the conditioning part, lol.. and the strong endurance). I just see it as what do you have as your beacon to aim your efforts toward -- competition performance, or being strong for a general or "higher" purpose? Day to day, it doesn't matter -- training is training and we get stronger by many methods. It just helps to understand end most effectively employ a method to know what it's guiding principles are.

I perceive StrongFirst O-Lifting is oriented the same way as the rest of StrongFirst's methods in terms of what it is trying to accomplish. I hope that it grows from a seminar to to a course or cert. Every other weightlifting / Olympic lifting course out there is aimed at competition performance as its end goal. StrongFirst is aimed at the exercises as a training method to build strength and related qualities. Just like with kettlebells and GS or hardstyle, in the process of training, you are headed in the same direction, and what you get is at least 90 - 95% overlapped with other methods. But the guiding light, or beacon that you are aiming for, is a little bit different.

But not everyone cares about all that... we just like to train, and of course appreciate impressive accomplishments however they are attained. The OP is certainly an impressive accomplishment! I follow her on Instagram and love her style.
Apologies to the OP for getting even more off topic…The USAW level 1 course was (at least until recently) both an intro to coaching the sport of WLing, but also intended as a foundational course for using the power versions of the quick lifts for sports performance. Back in the mid 2000s there was a dedicated sports performance coaching course, but USAW retired and combined it with what was formerly known as the Club Coach course to make the current course. Too bad, I think. As for fitness, as Franco Colombu once quipped about bodybuilding, there are easier ways to say in shape than wling training; “fit for what” / “conditioned for what” still defines those things. The highest level elites in countries with state supported programs train over 40 hrs a week and have staggering annual training tonnages. It takes years of progressive loading and “work hardening” / conditioning to get to that level though. There’s an undeniable association between progressing annual tonnage and climbing the qualification ranks from beginner to international elite. The USAW curriculum, having taught it off and on over the last couple of decades, is totally lacking in how to progress an athlete and we have no qualification system which correlates to meet results/total or training tonnage whatsoever. Program Strong which was derived from Soviet era weightlifting sports science on how to organize volume and intensity effectively for non-weightlifting exercises, if folded into the actual SF weightlifting curriculum would be a great service to weightlifting coaches and for sports performance coaches alike.

Last edited:
I find it to be marketing gobblygook.
The reasons for differences seem pretty staright forward (i.e., not gobblygooky).

The point of HS snatching is to generate as much power as possible, so you can use it to do things like rapidly and deeply deplete your alactic energy system with it. The point of GS style snatching is to use as little power as possible to be able to put up more reps.

While there is cerainly overlap in the "effects" of the two styles, they are optimized for different goals. When one is learning to snatch, one just as well learn a style which best supports the reasons one wanted to learn the snatch in the first place. No?

Last edited:
So, I keep thinking about this whole "strength has a greater purpose" thing, @Anna C and @Steve Freides and @silveraw ...

Like, sure, I train because I enjoy it and I couldn’t imagine not training at this point.

I train because it keeps me more mentally healthy. It burns off the "anxious energy" and calms me down and makes me a less angry person.

I train because I don’t want to be decrepit and and an invalid when I’m older. I used to want to die young because I saw how people around me got as they got older and I didn't want that to be me. I realized much later that you didn't HAVE to age like that.

I train so I can maintain and build as much physical capacity so I can enjoy life, my family, and outdoor "hobbies" like backpacking, kayaking, and hunting.

But ... I think that some training styles are more or less conducive to that, and that with my desires it is going to push me to include things (like cardio!).

But that really doesn’t limit the “buffet” of training all that much. It might mean I train more like a decathalete and less like a powerlifter (good at multiple things and not just one), but it wouldn’t tell me to squat Westside low bar wide stance or Olympic high bar narrow stance - or in this context, whether I should or shouldn't snatch GS or HS. I could see it mean I don't pick a "competitive" weightlifting or powerlifting program, as those may be "too specific" but it wouldn't mean I couldn't also engage in weightlifting or powerlifting - just that the program would be different. Similar with GS.

Thanks for the explanation on the heel lift! That makes a lot of sense. I "naturally" have done the upper body shift to the rear when snatching, and it was commented on at my certification - more of a "why do you do that are you afraid of the bell" and not a "you can't do that" - but wasn't ever something I spent a lot of time to try and get rid of.
It was, back in the day, considered good hard style technique to shift rearwards slightly to accelerate the bell upward, then “tame the arc” (Rob Lawrence) and then “lean into the bell” forward slightly at lockout. Dropping the bell, one leaned away slightly which kept the bell closer to CoG and facilitated delaying the hip hinge. If one is after power production, then a more vertical bell path will necessarily be more powerful and faster; displacing the body slightly aft to accelerate the bell then fore to lock out accomplishes that without unnecessary arm involvement. One of my master aged KB sport heroes Fedor Fuglev who was still an elite sport competitor at the time in training put up a staggering 300 legal reps in 10 minutes one hand switch 24kg…a very different almost hard style technique, lots of leg drive, not much swing and really like a “clean that ends up overhead” (with anatomical breath match appropriate to the sport: double breath at top and bottom…sounds like a locomotive!) Sport technique is somewhat flexible though and that is by design. You will see from time to time a variety of different approaches in one set as it progresses and a lifter tires and the grip is giving out..Johnny Benidze, an elite russian, would be doing squat snatches by the end of his set because he couldn’t pull the bell any harder or higher and still hang onto it. (and maybe a little showmanship…maybe) It takes a lot of training and a lot of reps to be good at the sport, but rather than call the sport technique “tricks” as some have, it’s more along the lines of problem solving to accomplish a particular end and that is an individual process.

Last edited:
It was, back in the day, considered good hard style technique to shift rearwards slightly to accelerate the bell upward, then “tame the arc” (Rob Lawrence) and then “lean into the bell” forward slightly at lockout. Dropping the bell, one leaned away slightly which kept the bell closer to CoG and facilitated delaying the hip hinge. If one is after power production, then a more vertical bell path will necessarily be more powerful and faster; displacing the body slightly aft to accelerate the bell then fore to lock out accomplishes that without unnecessary arm involvement. One of my master aged KB sport heroes Fedor Fuglev who was still an elite sport competitor at the time in training put up a staggering 300 legal reps in 10 minutes one hand switch 24kg…a very different almost hard style technique, lots of leg drive, than most (but with anatomical breath match appropriate to the sport) however you will see from time time a variety of different approaches in one set as it progresses and a lifter tires and the grip is giving out..Johnny Benidze, an elite russian, would be doing squat snatches by the end of his set because he couldn’t pull the bell any harder or higher and still hang onto it. takes a lot of training and reps to be good at the sport, but rather than call the sport technique “tricks” as some have, it’s more along the lines of problem solving to accomplish a particular end and that is an individual process.

I love watching these mutants. Other worldy.

Fascinating thread.

The highest level elites in countries with state supported programs train over 40 hrs a week and have staggering annual training tonnages.
I know this part is about weightlifting, but I tend to think this is revealing about GS / kettlebell sport style of kettlebell lifting, too. The results that GS athletes attain -- not just in competition performance but in body composition, muscle development, strength, power, endurance, and other qualities -- are quite amazing. But I would say these qualities are more a result of volume than technique. (Which then begs the question, does the technique enable the volume? Not just the volume in a set, but the overall volume/tonnage in a week/month/cycle? Maybe so. But that's another level of discussion.)

It was, back in the day, considered good hard style technique to shift rearwards slightly to accelerate the bell upward, then “tame the arc” (Rob Lawrence) and then “lean into the bell” forward slightly at lockout. Dropping the bell, one leaned away slightly which kept the bell closer to CoG and facilitated delaying the hip hinge. If one is after power production, then a more vertical bell path will necessarily be more powerful and faster; displacing the body slightly aft to accelerate the bell then fore to lock out accomplishes that without unnecessary arm involvement.
Good point and I think some of the higher level hardstyle snatch practitioners have figured this out (Harald Motz comes to mind) even if they start with a more standard StrongFirst style.

I think StrongFirst's snatch, for simplicity and continuity of teaching, carries over the hardstyle swing and hardstyle clean standards/techniques to the snatch. Is it the best way? Depends. Is it the only way? Definitely not.

Sometimes as variations are seen, it confuses newbies who don't know which standards of technique are important to maintain. Then when we try to explain that "we don't' do it that way" it sometimes comes off as "our way is better" or "another way is wrong" when maybe neither of those things are true or intended.

Sometimes as variations are seen, it confuses newbies who don't know which standards of technique are important to maintain. Then when we try to explain that "we don't' do it that way" it sometimes comes off as "our way is better" or "another way is wrong" when maybe neither of those things are true or intended.
On that note, probably have to be careful here using the term "higher" purpose, when what you mean is something akin to "generalized" purpose.

Audrey recently did 125 reps with a 24kg bell in 6:00…. With one hand switch!! She’s amazing to watch, and I’m really looking forward to reading her book she just came out with.

Yes I know she’s GS.

She finishes so strong too. Most of the 6 minutes she’s so casual. You can tell she’s getting fatigued at the end, but even when you listen to her breathing as she shuts off the camera she’s so in control.

Audrey recently did 125 reps with a 24kg bell in 6:00…. With one hand switch!! She’s amazing to watch, and I’m really looking forward to reading her book she

Just as one can do many different things with a barbell, so one can do many different things with a kettlebell. Or bodyweight - contrast the person who does 500 Hindu squats with the gymnast holding an Iron Cross for a few seconds.

“Proper snatch technique” will vary with the task at hand. GS is a sport.

-S-
Steve, her last name is spelled Burgio. Possible to correct the title?

Pretty casual about it.

I’ve never watched a KB snatch now that I think of it and watching her technique really conflicts with what I thought proper snatch technique was.

For example: her arm stays straight on the upward portion which I find strange and her heel comes up on the working side foot nearly every rep.

I don’t know much about KB snatch technique but I’m wondering if those are productive idiosyncrasies for her technique or part of the norm.
Hardstyle technique (what RKC and SF teach) is about making the exercise as inefficient as possible... on purpose, as a method to develop certain qualities.

Girevoy sport style is all about efficiency. The one and only goal is completing as much reps as humanly possible within a specific timeframe.

Apples and oranges.

In short what I see in videos like this is an amazing fit/strong person do awesome things that I could only dream of at this point. Kudos to all.

A thought struck my head as this technique debate develops…..a simplification could be that hardstyle technique is about the effect the lift will have on the human body, and GS technique is about the effect the lift will have on the weight. “Make me strong” versus “get that thing moving for a long time.”

An oversimplification but I had to put it out there.

It was, back in the day, considered good hard style technique to shift rearwards slightly to accelerate the bell upward, then “tame the arc” (Rob Lawrence) and then “lean into the bell” forward slightly at lockout. Dropping the bell, one leaned away slightly which kept the bell closer to CoG and facilitated delaying the hip hinge. If one is after power production, then a more vertical bell path will necessarily be more powerful and faster; displacing the body slightly aft to accelerate the bell then fore to lock out accomplishes that without unnecessary arm involvement.

thanks for this. i'd developed this pattern after watching tons of GS video partly as a way of makin things easier for a slightly hinky shoulder. good to hear it isn't hopelessly heterodox.

what's with Fuglev's head bend at the top of each snatch? taking pressure off the nerve? relaxing the neck/trap?

Speaking from experience of having taught, used and participated in "both" approaches, I will say regarding any discussions that verge on ecumenical accommodation of form: hic sunt dracones.
I think Pavel's article, which dates to shortly after StrongFirst was created, hits the nail on the head - the meaning is clear, nothing religious about it, and no dragons have reared their heads in response. :)

Ubi fumus est, illic speramus barbeque. :)

-S-

thanks for this. i'd developed this pattern after watching tons of GS video partly as a way of makin things easier for a slightly hinky shoulder. good to hear it isn't hopelessly heterodox.

what's with Fuglev's head bend at the top of each snatch? taking pressure off the nerve? relaxing the neck/trap?
Hard to say, but I am guessing it is one of those idiosyncratic things you will see between individuals executing any sport movement. Conjecture here, but amongst some of the old school Eastern European weightlifting coaches, throwing the head back (an adult male head goes about + - 5kg on average) they thought, would added some extra reactive vertical impetus to the bar. 4 time Olympic medalist Dimas threw his back violently. Not really recommended and for beginners imitating his form, not fundamental to a successful technique: just not the right, most important thing to focus on. Fedor is cranking on that bell, so his head movement might be an intentional form fine point, it might be counterbalancing unconsciously , but I doubt he was coached to do it that way, just something he arrived at over time.

Reactions: klk
Fascinating thread.

I know this part is about weightlifting, but I tend to think this is revealing about GS / kettlebell sport style of kettlebell lifting, too. The results that GS athletes attain -- not just in competition performance but in body composition, muscle development, strength, power, endurance, and other qualities -- are quite amazing. But I would say these qualities are more a result of volume than technique. (Which then begs the question, does the technique enable the volume? Not just the volume in a set, but the overall volume/tonnage in a week/month/cycle? Maybe so. But that's another level of discussion.)
Of course form matters. Do sprinters train and run differently than marathoners? Do track cyclists train and ride differently than gran tour riders? Without going down a whole rabbit hole here, endurance athletes do speed work and sprinters do some conditioning work. Genetics play a huge roll Elite marathoners tend to be ectomorphs, and you wont see any gran tour riders (also ectomorphs) built like track rider (mega mesomorph ) "quadzilla" Forstemann and vice versa.

Now having said that, elite endurance athletes, while not sprinter fast are still very fast people who have trained and taught their bodies to hold speed for long periods of time. (One of my good friends here in Boulder is at 38 years old a top USA female marathoner for the last 4 years, her event in college was 3k steeple. It took her a little awhile to get to the marathon distance "at speed.") Eliud Kipchoge's 2:01 Berlin Marathon saw him rolling at consecutive 28 min and change 10k splits...only about 2 minutes slower than world record for single 10k and 1 minute slower than the current NCAA 10k record. To put in perspective that's 4:37 ish per mile for 26.2 mi. Image 4-29-24 at 1.48 PM.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom