all posts post new thread

Old Forum Avoiding plateaus when on a budget

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

arariel73

First Post
I've been doing the S&S for a while and feel like I'm about ready to go to the next heavier weight. Unfortunately, I'm on a rather tight budget and it may take a while to save the money to get my next kettlebell.

I've been upping the time I hold each position in my TGUs so I can continue to push myself and make gains. Does anyone have any advice for a similar way to get the most out of swings without upping the volume? I tried increasing the volume and found that more than 150 on a regular basis is too hard on my knees.

You might consider shadow swings, as discussed in S&S.  Light, one arm swings with a very hard eccentric phase.  It makes the weight virtually heavier by creating more momentum to overcome at the bottom.

There are three issues here, as I see it:

1. Are you really ready to move up a bell size?

Have you maxed out on density with your current bell? Is 100 reps in sets of 10 full power reps in 5 minutes relatively easy to do on a daily basis. Can you do 100 straight reps as a test?

2. If you are maxed out on density, can you increase the load without buying a new bell?

Sort of.

As Steve M points out, one way is with overspeed eccentrics/shadow swings, which really should be done two-handed, as you can apply a lot more "virtual force." You can apply the eccentric overload force voluntarily, by hiking the bell back more forcefully, or you can use a Jump Stretch style band (the "light" 1 1/8" wide size works well). You tie the band to the handle of the kb (or loop it around the base of the handle with the band crossed) and stand on the band inside the loop. It's hard to describe, but pretty straightforward to set up.

But if you're using this strategy, then you aren't really doing S&S anymore.

Of course, if you are deviating from S&S, you can try increasing the volume, which brings me to issue 3:

3. Knee pain from swings.

Swings SHOULD be very knee-friendly. Even when my knees are messed up in various ways (including in many cases, acute injury) from playing basketball, I can swing without discomfort. To me, your knee pain is a sign that you may have a form issue that needs to be cleaned up, which would be a priority over progressing within any program.

I once shrink-wrapped two standard 5-lb plates to the bottom of a 24kg bell when I was a poor graduate student.

David, skip a couple of dinners out or cancel your cable service and you got your kettlebell.  It is just a matter of priorities.

David, I agree that high swing volume should not bother your knees - please post a video of yourself swinging.  Multiple angles is best, but a 45 degree angle to the front (you are facing 12 o'clock noon and the camera is at either 10:30 or 1:30) usually works best.

In the days before in-between sizes of kettlebells were available, I used duct tape - be generous with it - to add as much as two 5 lb. and one 2-1/2 lb plate to the bottom of a kettlebell.

Again, a video of your swing is what's in order next, please.

-S-

If we're talking 3 months or less to a new bell, just keep doing what you're doing. Time spent making sure you really "own" the standards with a given bell is a good thing. Throw in the occasional shadow swing day, and/or 100 consecutive day as well. If it takes you more than 3 months to afford a new kettlebell, then you have bigger things to worry about.

And yes, swings should not hurt your knees, so use the time to fix your technique.

if you really have full command of the single hand swings and youre not able to buck up for the new bell - then move on to snatches - there is a bit of redundancy at the top of the snatch with the top of the getup - but if the weight is that light then adding an extra "press" shouldn't overwork you - I would use the same S&S protocol with snatches and slow getups - 5 deep breaths in each position of the getup - do these for 3 months and save $1.50 each day somehow - after 3 months you will have enough saved for your new ball and you'll be that much stronger.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom