all posts post new thread

Old Forum Back pain that moves around?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jeff

Level 5 Valued Member
Have you ever strained your back, and you think you know where it hurts, but where it hurts moves around?  Sometimes you are sure the pain is on the right side, but then it is on the left.  Or the pain is lower, but it moves up.

I yanked my quadratus (that's the conclusion a doc and a pt came to eventually) about 4 years ago, pulling a weight off of the floor in a twisted position and not paying attention to proper technique and that pain floated around my back for years.  finally through rest, pt, trigger pt therapy and tgu's the muscle seems to be healed and strong.  do to the anatomy of the quadratus running from the pelvis up to the vertebrae the pain would travel.  the weakness in that muscle seemed to create an imbalance and I started having pain on my left side as well. there are a number of deep muscles in that area of the body which are wide and long.  a trigger point in one area can radiate pain throughout.  I would search out Clair Davies book, the Trigger Point Therapy Workbook, there are some great suggestions on home therapy that have worked wonders for me.  also a good trigger point therapist can help locate the source of the problem.  good luck.

Jeffrey, Steve's got the right next step for you. You could have referred pain or your body could be in self-protection mode which is forcing the wrong muscles to work to try to brace or compensate for the area that's hurt. Take no chances. Live to train another day.

Chiropractor and doctor haven't steered me wrong yet. Might be a little tweak, might be a pulled muscle but best to get it confirmed by the pros.

I first did this around four months ago when all of the high rep swing threads were being posted.  I pushed myself beyond my limits with swings.  I should have stopped when I first began feeling pain, but stubbornly determined to finish my goal for the workout.  At the time, my tailbone was really sore, and my lower back in general.  I went to a chiropractic clinic that is very involved in sports.  The chiropractor didn't think anything serious happened.  Did some soft tissue work and adjustments.  The chiropractor gave me clearance to workout.  I haven't struggled continuously with it since then, but notice that my swing endurance is limited more by muscle fatigue than by my lungs.  Even though I am doing much better, it might take a while to fully recover. I was doing some stuff around the house.   I moved a boat while on its trailer by lifting the trailer tongue with my hands and pushing it around rather than put it on the hitch on the back of my car.  It didn't hurt while I was actually doing it, but it began to hurt shortly afterward.  It is already feeling much better today.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom