all posts post new thread

Beginner who is starting out at strength training

Very cool, thanks for introducing this program. It might be something I'd keep in mind for a more weightlifting minded look towards strength and conditioning at a later date.

Even if you don't get into weightlifting, I think it could be interesting to mix with standard squat, bench, dead.

Do 3-6 months of SBD, then flip the script and do 3-6 months of front squat, push press (or overhead press), and SN DL.

Alternating between the two could help avoid imbalances and keep things fresh (mentally and physically).

Even if you don't get into weightlifting, I think it could be interesting to mix with standard squat, bench, dead.

Do 3-6 months of SBD, then flip the script and do 3-6 months of front squat, push press (or overhead press), and SN DL.

Alternating between the two could help avoid imbalances and keep things fresh (mentally and physically).
I've been doing something similar, but with two-week alternating blocks. I'm currently on my second run through of Block 1, Session A. I'll be repeating this until autumn when I run Quick and Dead.

Block 1:

Session A:

Deadlift 5,3,2 (or similar Rule of 10 Set x Rep Scheme)
Bench: Faleev 5x5

Session B:

Squat: Faleev 5x5
Bench: 5x4 @ 80% Session A

Block 2:

Session A:

Power Clean: 5-6 Singles (3 or so heavy reps)

Session B:

Power Snatch: 5-6 Singles (3 or so heavy reps)
Front Squat: 8x3

This article inspired the blocks above:

I've been doing something similar, but with two-week alternating blocks. I'm currently on my second run through of Block 1, Session A. I'll be repeating this until autumn when I run Quick and Dead.

Block 1:

Session A:

Deadlift 5,3,2 (or similar Rule of 10 Set x Rep Scheme)

Session B:

Squat: Faleev 5x5
Bench: 5x4 @ 80% Session A

Block 2:

Session A:

Power Clean: 5-6 Singles (3 or so heavy reps)

Session B:

Power Snatch: 5-6 Singles (3 or so heavy reps)
Front Squat: 8x3

This article inspired the blocks above:

I have heard a lot of good things about squats, bench press and deadlift, and it seems to me as if pull-ups and power cleans are good as well.

I guess maybe power cleans could serve the same purpose as bench press every now and then?
Those exercises seem to work quite similar muscle groups, or at least be very focused on upper-body muscles.

My boyfriend is currently using something that he has said is called the Texas Method.
But like I said, his current weights are way up at around 200-220 lbs in all exercises that I have seen him do - I have even seen him push almost 200 lbs in Overhead Press, which is apparently one of the harder exercises, and that was quite a shock - and the Texas Method appears to be a pretty advanced program (well, I am not surprised!).
But then again, I shouldn't let those kinds of things discourage me.
The Texas Method is great. But it is for intermediate lifters, not for you. You need a simple program consist of multijoint exercises with linear overload.
Power to the people or starting strength would be ideal.

I have heard a lot of good things about squats, bench press and deadlift, and it seems to me as if pull-ups and power cleans are good as well.

I guess maybe power cleans could serve the same purpose as bench press every now and then?
Those exercises seem to work quite similar muscle groups, or at least be very focused on upper-body muscles.
Power clean is more a full body motion, with a hell of a lot of force through the legs.

The Texas Method is great. But it is for intermediate lifters, not for you. You need a simple program consist of multijoint exercises with linear overload.
Power to the people or starting strength would be ideal.
Yeah, it is tricky to decide on one program when there are all these great options available, but Starting Strength seems interesting, so maybe I will look at that.

Power clean is more a full body motion, with a hell of a lot of force through the legs.
Whoops, I mean pull-ups, haha.

Yeah, it is tricky to decide on one program when there are all these great options available, but Starting Strength seems interesting, so maybe I will look at that.

Whoops, I mean pull-ups, haha.
Bench press uses some big upper body muscle groups like the pecs (chest muscles), delts (shoulder muscles), and triceps (back of upper arm muscles). Pull-ups use a lot more biceps (front of upper arm muscles) and back muscles. They're a great pairing.

Bench press uses some big upper body muscle groups like the pecs (chest muscles), delts (shoulder muscles), and triceps (back of upper arm muscles). Pull-ups use a lot more biceps (front of upper arm muscles) and back muscles. They're a great pairing.
Yeah, I often hear that it is a good idea to structure the exercises so that different muscle groups are allowed to rest during the actual workout.
I guess this is why bench press is often done after squats.

"Farmer's Walk" seems fun as well;
that is probably one of the simplest exercises that I can think of, since it is literally like carrying groceries, haha.

Back
Top Bottom