all posts post new thread

Old Forum Bend Press form critique

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Duke79

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello All,

I recently purchased Taming the Bend Press, and went through some the progressions. After these drill i wanted to try it out of course, and after a first go with the 16kg which felt great, I decided to try the 24.

I made a video of that first try, so I want to post it here for you to take a look at and maybe get some pointers of tips.

It's really a great lift, I must say :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtYEPJpIQso

I also got that book recently and it looks like you read and applied the lessons there. To my eyes it looks good but I bet Dave Whitley can tell you how to make it better.

@Dennis

I have done a number of unweighted ones and some with a 16kg. Really trying to make sure I have it dialed in before I go heavier. Even just practicing with no weight and using the Lat I can feel it there pretty well. The key for me was to not treat it like a Clean and Press. Yes you clean the bell and get it to the shoulder but from there the lift changes a lot. Keeping my knees soft was a key and to keep folding before I try any extension.

Good work Dennis!

I think you would do better to go heavier. This swill make it easier for you to get your elbow all the way down to your hip.

Also, the long exhale may not be necessary. Experiment with using LESS tension. the 5-6 seconds it takes to do the lift can be a very long time if you are maximally tense. Use the minimum amount necessary to move the weight.

and thanks for buying the book and practicing the material!

Thank you Dave. :) I also tried the 32kg. a weight i cannot yet press, and i made it with a bent press on my strong side. Failed is at my stronger side though, strange enough. But still, it's a succes.

And such an old skool and cool lift should not go extinct, that alone was worth the purchase of the book. :) And it is filled with good tips and progressions, not only the bent press itself, also the mobility work for the T-spine and the progressions. Great work! I enjoyes the read and the practice.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom