all posts post new thread

Old Forum Benefits from high rep squats?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

the hansenator

Level 6 Valued Member
Are there benefits from doing bodyweight squats in high reps? By high rep I'm thinking up to about 100 reps. I've heard that chi kung people talk about building vitality and stuff, is there anything to that? And would it make a difference which type of squat you choose to do?

Thanks.

Chris, people have been doing high-rep bodyweight work for a long time. The results speak for themselves.

I am aware mostly of people squatting on the balls of their feet for high reps – look up Hindu squats.

Best, IMHO, for you to pick a goal, and then explore the various ways you might achieve it rather than focus on a method or procedure and wonder what it will do for you. There are many ways to build “vitality” – I personally prefer a soft practice like most of the kinds of tai chi I’ve seen, some yoga, meditation, easy walking, etc.

-S-

Steve, thanks for the reply.

I feel like I need to find some kind of conditioning. Walking and running are difficult because of plantar fasciitis. I was working on kettlebell swings as per S&S but my back had a setback so I can't do those right now. Hindu squats, and light goblet squats if I'm careful, seem to work out.

I'm also just curious if there's any particular benefit from high rep squats besides developing the endurance which some people feel they benefit from. I like how accessible they are: It doesn't take long, there's no equipment or travel time needed, it's affordable, it's something I'm able to do... If they're beneficial I thought it might be worth adding in.

Chris - you say you have plantar fasciitis, walking is difficult  and your back is out from swinging? Aside from any pros and cons of high rep squats, your priority is to be pain free. If walking is difficult - I can only presume you may mean it is painful - then your gait pattern is out, due to plantar or something else is causing you to move differently so you have plantar as a result. Better get yourself to a good garage before revving the engine.

Alistair, well said.

Chris, plantar fasciitis can be tricky.  See a doc, make sure nothing is damaged, then get to work on trying to figure out why you have it.  I know that, in my own case, I get these symptoms if my calves are tight - seems to create extra pull on the bottoms of my feet or something like that.  Calf stretching is what relieves my symptoms - after your doctor visit, find something that helps and be sure also to find what might be aggravating the situation and stay away from that.

-S-

High rep squats always throw my alignment off. End up with tight  hip flexors, esp quad.

I still like them, just not all the time.

On the other hand, rack walk ups and back down with 8-12 reps each dumbbell, burn my legs out for days but don't wreck my posture.

Ends up being like 160 reps.

Early on I only rest the time it takes to switch weights, at the top I'm sucking wind ams rest long enough to catch my breath.

I also like rack walkups and down with getups, 1 rep each side no rest.

Since the load is spread across so many muscles in the getup, there is no soreness and it feels rejuvenating for days.

Ofcourse, like Alistar implied, I wouldn't do any of this if I was dealing with dysfunction.

I saw the doc about the plantar fasciitis. She sent me to a podiatrist who tells me I need new orthotics. It will be another week before they're ready.

They only mentioned a little bit about stretches and self-massage. I've been stretching my calves but they seem pretty flexible already so I'm not sure how much it will help.

Chris

Where are you located?

Scientists now believe that anti-inflammatories are unwarranted, because plantar fasciitis involves little inflammation, contrary to  common lore.

High-load strength training consisted of unilateral heel raises with a towel inserted under the toes and a weighted backpack.

After three months, those in the exercise group reported vast improvements. Their pain and disability had declined significantly.

Those who did standard stretches, on the other hand, showed little improvement after three months, although, with a further nine months of stretching, most reported pain relief.

Ask Well: Plantar Fasciitis Relief

By GRETCHEN REYNOLDS

SEPTEMBER 15, 2014 5:15 AMSeptember 15, 2014 5:16 pm

A sturdy box and a backpack can help with heel pain.Credit Michael Skovdal Rathleff

Q Can I get relief for plantar fasciitis?

Asked by Marilyn • 610 votes

A If you have stairs or a sturdy box in your home and a backpack, timely relief for plantar fasciitis may be possible, according to a new study of low-tech treatments for the condition.

Plantar fasciitis, the heel pain caused by irritation of the connective tissue on the bottom of the foot, can be lingering and intractable. A recent study of novice runners found that those who developed plantar fasciitis generally required at least five months to recover, and some remained sidelined for a year or more. 

Until recently, first-line treatments involved stretching and anti-inflammatory painkillers such as ibuprofen or cortisone. But many scientists now believe that anti-inflammatories are unwarranted, because the condition involves little inflammation. Stretching is still commonly recommended.

But the new study, published in August in the Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports, finds that a single exercise could be even more effective. It requires standing barefoot on the affected leg on a stair or box, with a rolled-up towel resting beneath the toes of the sore foot and the heel extending over the edge of the stair or box. The unaffected leg should hang free, bent slightly at the knee.

Then slowly raise and lower the affected heel to a count of three seconds up, two seconds at the top and three seconds down. In the study, once participants could complete 12 repetitions fairly easily, volunteers donned a backpack stuffed with books to add weight. The volunteers performed eight to 12 repetitions of the exercise every other day.

Other volunteers completed a standard plantar fasciitis stretching regimen, in which they pulled their toes toward their shins 10 times, three times a day.

After three months, those in the exercise group reported vast improvements. Their pain and disability had declined significantly.Those who did standard stretches, on the other hand, showed little improvement after three months, although, with a further nine months of stretching, most reported pain relief.

The upshot, said Michael Skovdal Rathleff, a researcher at Aalborg University in Denmark, who led the study, is that there was “a quicker reduction in pain” with the exercise program, and a reminder of how books, in unexpected ways, can help us heal.

Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2014 Aug 21. doi: 10.1111/sms.12313. [Epub ahead of print]

High-load strength training improves outcome in patients with plantar fasciitis: A randomized controlled trial with 12-month follow-up.

Rathleff MS1, Mølgaard CM, Fredberg U, Kaalund S, Andersen KB, Jensen TT, Aaskov S, Olesen JL.

Author information

Abstract

The aim of this study was to investigate the effectiveness of shoe inserts and plantar fascia-specific stretching vs shoe inserts and high-load strength training in patients with plantar fasciitis. Forty-eight patients with ultrasonography-verified plantar fasciitis were randomized to shoe inserts and daily plantar-specific stretching (the stretch group) or shoe inserts and high-load progressive strength training (the strength group) performed every second day.

High-load strength training consisted of unilateral heel raises with a towel inserted under the toes.

Primary outcome was the foot function index (FFI) at 3 months. Additional follow-ups were performed at 1, 6, and 12 months. At the primary endpoint, at 3 months, the strength group had a FFI that was 29 points lower [95% confidence interval (CI): 6-52, P = 0.016] compared with the stretch group. At 1, 6, and 12 months, there were no differences between groups (P > 0.34). At 12 months, the FFI was 22 points (95% CI: 9-36) in the strength group and 16 points (95% CI: 0-32) in the stretch group. There were no differences in any of the secondary outcomes. A simple progressive exercise protocol, performed every second day, resulted in superior self-reported outcome after 3 months compared with plantar-specific stretching. High-load strength training may aid in a quicker reduction in pain and improvements in function.

Chris,

Lots of people around you - touch base with Jason Green at Vinna Fitness in Minneapolis
I know he has an SFMA therapist that he works with.

This is my two cents on high rep body weight squats. I know that there must be an upside to high rep work on this lift; like endurance, conditioning, mental toughness. I have found that doing 100-150 of these will bring out the separations between quad muscles. However, I have issues with this particular exercise. Starting about 2-3 years ago, any time I have pushed past ~30 reps, I have pain. It's not muscular fatigue or lactic acid burn, though those are definitely present, it's real-deal pain. 30 reps seems to be the magic number that begins a searing feeling in my right vastus medialis that does not go away when I stop. It feels as though I have torn the distal part of the muscle right about 5/6 of the way down my thigh, about 3-4 inches above the knee. This is the ONLY exercise that induces this feeling. As a result, I am unable (or unwilling) to do higher rep BW squats. This is my personal experience, and my views are definitely shaped by my problem with this exercise.

Quick update in case anyone is interested.

I met with Jason Green yesterday and he took me through an FMS screen. He's identified a number of things to work on and he seems confident he can help with my numerous aches and pains (feet, back, shoulder). I'm looking forward to working with him, hopefully I'll be feeling and moving better before long.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom