all posts post new thread

Barbell Best barbell strength books

AJL

Level 2 Valued Member
I was talking to my nephew about his yearly goals, and he had three related to strength. He wants to increase:

Bench from 190 to 260
Squat from 250 with a bad knee (300 pre soreness) to 370
Barbell row from 170 to 250

I don’t use barbells, but I thought I’d reach out to this community and see what advice you guys would give him.

Are there any books he should read? What programs should he look into? Any other advice you’d give?

Thanks!

I was talking to my nephew about his yearly goals, and he had three related to strength. He wants to increase:

Bench from 190 to 260

I don’t use barbells, but I thought I’d reach out to this community and see what advice you guys would give him.

Are there any books he should read? What programs should he look into? Any other advice you’d give?

Thanks!

Deadlift dynamite
Greyskull lp
Dan John-
Easy strength omnibook
One lift a day
Mass made simple
Jim Wendler 531
Starting strength
Power athletes - bed rock

Some of those aren’t books but programs accessible via google search. Most importantly pick one and stick to it. They are all proven and work but program hoping or secret squirreling or combining what you like from each one will get you less results.

Or get on 5x5 island and increase weight whenever said 5x5 gets easy

Bench from 190 to 260

Thanks!
I'd probably suggest Greyskull LP or Starting Strength or FIT or 5/3/1 Forever.

I think the big advantage that Greyskull, Fit, and 5/3/1 have over Starting Strength is they explain how to train while also getting "fitter" or "leaner" or "bigger." So I'd lean towards those over Starting Strength, which is great if the person has NO interest in running, or pull-ups, or curls. For a book, Starting Strength does a GREAT job of written walk-thru of exercises. Probably one of the best out there that I've seen. But it pales in comparison to a good in person coach.

I think the advantage that both of Greyskull and Fit have over 5/3/1 is that there are fewer options and more Do This, which for a beginner are probably an advantage. I love 5/3/1 but I think it can be a bit overwhelming with all the options and doodads and program variations and stuff. Not a big deal, but sometimes less is more with new folks.

The advantage of Greyskull over Fit is, again, it is even simpler while still being very flexible. The advantage of Fit is it gives you a little more "understanding" of how stuff works and how to approach thinking about program design.

So with all that said, if I was going to give a book to a Newbie who had minimal supervision... I think GreySkull is probably the best place to start. It is very simple, great for the beginner or even intermediate, and makes simple allowances for "extras."

As they get more intermediate and start wanting to think more about how to train, Fit is a very easy "next step" as they both build off of GrandDaddy Starting Strength (... and so I don't get a comment, which is based off the Great Grand Daddy Bill Star).

Programming you can go anywhere, but I still suggest PTTP. It emphasises the important of creating tension and how to do it unlike most of other books.

5/3/1 will get you where you need to go.
Deadlift dynamite is good too.
RELOAD is pretty much deadlift dynamite. But more straightforward.

But figure out that bum knee

Back
Top Bottom