all posts post new thread

PlanStrong/BuiltStrong Built Strong - Rest / Deload Weeks

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ChrisD

Level 4 Valued Member
Elite Certified Instructor
Hi All,

Just wanted some insight on rest and or deload weeks in-between Mesocycles in Built Strong. I've been through the manual several times but can't find any specific mention regards to this.

Say I have programmed an 8 week macrocycle. Should I be programming in a deload week at the end of week 4 (Mesocycle 1).

Or for example, I have designed a 12 or 16 week macrocycle, should I be putting in deload/rest weeks in-between the 4 week mesocycles?

If any one has any insight that would be appreciated :)

Cheers,
Chris

Or would the deload be considered the mandated 20% decrease in volume from Mesocycle1 Week4 and Mesocycle2 Week1?

I think I've answered my question ROFL

I believe the 15% volume microcycle within each mesocycle essentially acts as a deload. Within a high volume, relatively lower intensity (compared to something like Plan Strong with a HARI of 79-81%) the majority of fatigue accumulation should be driven by volume, not intensity. Thus decreasing volume for a one week period should be enough to dissipate fatigue without requiring a drop in intensity. When this no longer serves to facilitate adequate recovery, indicated by increased RPE, decrease in performance, or both, you have probably passed your maximum recoverable volume, and as you had mentioned in response to your own question would then need to either decrease monthly volume by at least 20%, or cycle to a different program.

I've run a couple 12 week Plan Strong and Built Strong cycles and haven't had the need to deload. I feel the waviness of the volume decreases the need for a deload. I do take a week between cycles as testing week for the following cycle.

@Donny Williamson, I recall reading in the PS manual somewhere words to the effect of, "No one can handle more than 2 hard weeks in each month." I think you're right on the mark - the waviness includes what's needed in the way of deloads.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom