all posts post new thread

PlanStrong/BuiltStrong Built Strong Spreadsheet Help

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

coosbaylarson

Level 5 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Sinister
I've spent a few weeks re-reading the Built Strong Manual and grinding through the process of developing a spreadsheet in Google Sheets. It really helped me understand the program and the necessary steps to develop a cycle. I have not yet done the program but am going to design a BTS 3 plan for myself and my husband to start in December.

I'm not an expert in spreadsheets but am a CPA so I have some practical experience. When it comes to designing a Built Strong program the spreadsheet will only get you so far. You still need to do some rounding to get the number of lifts right and you'll need to tweak your monthly volumes across the intensity zones in order to get the correct ARI. This becomes even more important when you combine mesocycles for a 2-4 month macrocycle. You will not be able to input a RM for a given lift along with a few other inputs and have the sheet spit a program out for you.

What a spreadsheet will do is help with the multiple easy math calculations and keep you organized. I will most likely still write out the rep ladders by hand after the spreadsheet helps me with the weekly volumes across the intensity zones.

I reached out to Fabio Zonin and he was ok with me sharing the process of creating a spreadsheet. There are some handy tricks (dropdown menus and linking a table with variants so that the correct percentages will populate. Over the next couple weeks I'll post the steps I took.

To get started you'll need a basic template. I've attached screen shots of the volume variant table and basic worksheet. I used Google Sheets but I'm sure Excel or Open Office will work. Start with this and I'll post the next steps later in the week. Don't get too hung up on formatting once the formulas are built you can get as crazy as you want with making it pretty. If you have great spreadsheet skills and want to add to the conversation please feel free.

If you have not reviewed the manual please do that first. Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 7.59.25 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 8.00.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 8.00.03 AM.png
    612.6 KB · Views: 78
Looks good. Looks pretty similar to something I have designed for myself using Google sheets. I haven’t figured out how to do the drop down menu stuff yet though.

Here's the first spreadsheet help video going over making drop-down menus. I'm going to break this up into several videos so it will be easy to review while you build your spreadsheet. Do not do this for volume and intensity variants. We will be using the VLOOKUP function to populate the percentages based on the variant selected.

Last edited:
Nice! Thanks for posting this. I made a spreadsheet like this after PlanStrong, and I don’t know what kind of craziness I ended up doing to make the drop-downs work, but your way is better.

This is how I calculate ARI. It's a little tedious but the process helps you understand what is going on when you change the percentages in the intensity zone. Sorry about the dog barking at the end.

Here's how to use the VLOOKUP function to populate the variant percentages into your spreadsheet after selecting from a drop-down menu. Video is much clearer if you view in YouTube.

You do a great job.

But I am still disappointed by SF - they promised us those sheets. Fabio told us, that we had to wait first, but we would get them. Maybe first without formulas, but we would get them.

I paid the full price for this event and I don‘t know why we should NOT get those sheets. Support wrote an email that they were ‚under review‘. But this was some weeks ago. I still hope to get those originals and SF keeps on beeing professional. @Fabio Zonin

I don't remember Fabio saying he would for sure give attendees his spreadsheet. I remember him saying he might give his spreadsheet.

I don't remember Fabio saying he would for sure give attendees his spreadsheet. I remember him saying he might give his spreadsheet.
Well, that's what I have in my mind and in my notes. I wrote down that we will get those sheets, but maybe without formulas.

If I am wrong, then that's on me and I would be sorry.

This is a screen shot of the rep ladders worksheet. The only formula I have here is summing the total reps to make sure they match the required NL for the weeks. It would be very easy to have the total NL and weekly NL populate from the first worksheet. I created BTS3 programs for my husband and myself and ended up with 12 sheets. If I had gone with BTS6 there would have been 24 sheets to keep organized. Next time I’ll work with one master sheet, create the program for each lift and save as a PDF then start over with the next lift. Learning as I go.

Attachments

• 96B390C8-10F3-4328-88C8-786BBEB5BB92.png
    96B390C8-10F3-4328-88C8-786BBEB5BB92.png
    201.4 KB · Views: 61
I have built a spreadsheet which I feels combines the best of automation and individual creative input. The spread sheets maps the worksheet #1 numbers onto worksheet #2 (session plan) numbers, to make it easier to create your session set/rep schemes. Happy to share details if anyone is interested.

I have built a spreadsheet which I feels combines the best of automation and individual creative input. The spread sheets maps the worksheet #1 numbers onto worksheet #2 (session plan) numbers, to make it easier to create your session set/rep schemes. Happy to share details if anyone is interested.
Yes I have spent some time populating numbers and it does make it easier!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom