all posts post new thread

Old Forum Caffeine=Tight muscles?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

CharlieJay

Level 2 Valued Member
I've grown used to drinking coffee and tea throughout the day, everyday, for a few years now. I used to be well above average flexibility and now I have achy muscles and they barely respond to stretching at all anymore. Could it just be that I'm getting tighter because I"m almost 30 or is it just because I'm pissing out all the magnesium in my muscles? Also, caffeine is a nervous system stimulant so that's another issue. Any coffee/tea snobs here that can chime in? Thanks, friends.

I drink a couple cups in the morning and haven't seen it affect my flexibility.... but maybe that is because I've never been very flexible even since being a kid.  :)

I drink coffee regularly for 20+ years and it has not effected my flexibility. If anything my SF style strength building has improved it along with my karate training. Maybe you just need to do a bit more stretching.

I am on caffeine (coffe &tea) for years, am 37 years old and can do the splits, even performing occasionly. Try to use full range of motion moves as long as form does not break down. The perfect moves and program to get mobile and flexible as a side effect is, drum roll please:

simple and sinister

Charles, I don't know about the caffeine, but your description of achy muscles that barely respond to stretching sounded familiar to me.  I've been having a lot of that in the upper back and shoulders.  This week I got some of these massage therapy balls, and I have to say, they are amazing, from what I've experienced so far.  It might help.  Here is the book The Roll Model that describes them, and the site that has all kinds of information and other products.  They seem to work a lot better than tennis balls, lacrosse balls, and foam rollers... I've tried everything, because I hate paying for massages, and I think with all we do in training we really need some sort of massage almost daily.  Especially to solve problem areas like what you describe.  Anyway, good luck!

check out caffeine blues. Lots of good data. (Book)

recent research shows genetics plays a part in how caffeine effects a body.

I for one don't buy all the "positive" benefits touted in the media. And if they do exist, just like anything else we ingest, might be positive for some and negative for others.

Caffeine is a miracle compound or it is toxic death. Oodles of research with new reports that it is great/bad/pointless on a daily basis. Have it with coconut oil and it turns you into a Greek God overnight, have a skinny latte and it makes you fat, drink it before a bath and your testicles fall off. All there is to know about the mysterious workings or otherwise of caffeine can be found at www.examine.com. I'm a cup a day kind of guy, gallons and gallons of tea otherwise. I'm a Brit with yellow teeth. Even if tea had the potential for causing instant death, I would still drink it.I could pass up the coffee but nothing will stop me drinking tea. You may be like that with coffee and if so, what the hell. Look for a third way.

There may or may not be a link to magnesium deficiency and coffee but hard training, long, long endurance and diet do affect levels. Magnesium supps are well researched too as is boosting levels with green veg and nuts. Also, may be an old wives tale but having a bath soaking in epsom salts are considered a good way to get a dose. Relaxing anyway. Then have a nice cup of tea.

Caffeine is a wonderful gift to humankind.

In the unlikely event you suffer some negative effects from caffeine use, they can be immediately counteracted by consuming an equal amount of alcohol.

Caffeine is a wonderful gift to humankind.

In the unlikely event you suffer any negative effects from caffeine use, they can be immediately counteracted by consuming an equal amount of alcohol.

While having a cup of coffee and a pot of tea...

Is there a correlation between caffeine and flexibility? Is it good or is it bad? There are people who say so, and there are people who say so.

If you have a bias towards something you collect data that confirms you in your belief and soon it works for you or multiplies the effects almost instantly and can work when a bias morphs into faith even for a lifetime.

To come back to the flexibility, there can be many factors:

my level of activity  (what kind of job do i have, am i sitting/standing mostly or have to change my positions frequently - considering that a job regarding the time it consumes has a very big impact on my body)

Training - do i use full range of motion? Do i train the antagonists? Do i work on my mobility and flexibility? for this reason s&s for me is a total package.

Stress levels - when the brain is concerned or in fear of someting for an extended period of time, muscles tighten up and it is harder to relax.

Temperature - if the environment and the body are warm it is easier to be mobile. (Sauna has a very relaxing effect)

Water / hydration - besides drinking coffe and tea my main beverage is plenty of mineral water. I have a bottle of 0.7 litre already in addition to my caffeine in the morning.

These are a few points that come to my mind. I drink coffee and tea because i like the taste, it gives me something warm and the stimulating effects it has on my organism, and because i am biased that i only want to hear and read about the many positive miracle effects .

Maybe you have to take all this with a grain of salt, because i was on caffeine as i wrote this...

Too much coffee or any liquid could be depriving your muscules of necessary minerals.  I can attest to this from expereince.

Try mineral water, especially Gerolsteiner.  One or two a day should keep the right mineral balance in your muscles.  This has been a game changer for me.

Avoid purified water.

So I'm gonna fill you guys in on what's going on. I've been avoiding caffeine for the most part and using Magnesium oil on my skin every day for a couple of weeks and my muscles do feel better. Somebody mentioned something about genetics being a factor and I tend to agree. My glutes and hamstrings were aching like crazy and now they feel fine. Interesting find, no?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom