all posts post new thread

Can pure strength training make hypertrophy more difficult or even impossible?

Here is a good video about being 70's big in strength training. It points out how building some more muscle will help recruit more muscle when performing strength feats. Basically, a lot of strength athletes incorporate hypertrophy work because the more muscle you possess, the more muscle you can use, which will make you stronger too.

For example I´ll do the Strong! strength block back on back on back for a few years. Now I´m incredibly strong and can C&P 40k +. I still look skinny because I haven´t eaten much.
Really I think it would be impossible to run the Strong program for a few years with 40k+ C&P and still look skinny. Imagine how hungry you would be using 40’s. If you didn’t eat enough you would be unable to run the program. Therefore if you accomplished the goal running Strong “for a few years” you will not look skinny. If your short you might not look big in clothes but naked you will not look skinny.
The general opinion is that without the presence of carbohydrates, muscles are more difficult to build.
I agree with Dydo you would need carbs and a lot of them not just fruit and berries.

Here is a good video about being 70's big in strength training. It points out how building some more muscle will help recruit more muscle when performing strength feats. Basically, a lot of strength athletes incorporate hypertrophy work because the more muscle you possess, the more muscle you can use, which will make you stronger too.

Excellent video.
I never really understood what some guys were talking about, how running some programs made them ravenous, until I started seriously training. Once I was doing more than just diddling around with weights, I understood.
I'm going to agree with Bill Lets here, too. I've never actually done it, but I can't help but believe running basically any program with double 40kg kettlebells would encourage you to eat a good four or five meals a day.

I can't help but believe running basically any program with double 40kg kettlebells would encourage you to eat a good four or five meals a day.
I have cycled ROP with 40kg a few times and I have to eat just to get through the work. Same with any heavy lifting with any substantial volume. And I have XL shirts for when I do more pressing volume because my back gets substantially bigger. I'm not trying to get bigger, it just happens because if I don't eat calories at some point I won't have the energy to finish the workload for the day.

I've done Giant 3.0 with double 36's and that didn't make me feel the same but it is also autoregulated for 20-30 minutes and I can only get in so much work in that amount of time.

When I started running Phraks Greyskull LP, I got pretty hungry afterwards; I was noticeably eating more, and I noticeably gained some weight. I didn't have any problems eating enough, though.
When I ran Mass Made Simple, I really understood the ravenous part. I had never before woken up in the middle of the night with my stomach growling. It was quite an experience.

I’m on week 4 of this program and the volume is insane.

"Hey, I want to look really buff and big.

Would he have a harder time to put on muscle mass as someone who is only deadlifting 100 kilo?
yeah, but not because he's stronger; but because he has been training for awhile and now he's not as sensitive to some stimulate as before.

But with that dude over there, who pull 700 pounds - he sure knows how to grind and has some basic knowledge - put him in the more specific hypertrophy training and enough food. He will grow.

And heavy training can introduce muscle gains. Josh Bryant has some competitive bodybuilders want to do a powerlifting meet. He helps them prep and they also gain muscle as a side effect from new stimulate.

Enjoying it. The volumization worked great for building work capacity over the first wave, but I had some absolutely terrible DOMS for the first couple weeks lol.

I’m a big fan of Bromleys content tho, so definitely going into it with rose colored shades.
Yeah I wanted to give some of his programs a go but I don’t have all the equipment he programs to use. That’s cool

Enjoying it. The volumization worked great for building work capacity over the first wave, but I had some absolutely terrible DOMS for the first couple weeks lol.

I’m a big fan of Bromleys content tho, so definitely going into it with rose colored shades.
The volume on PlanStrong nearly killed me first time around haha This looks crazy

You are eating a deficit, which I believe is due to the reduction in carbohydrates. At least I think so, because the practice is that the deficit comes from reducing carbohydrates. The general opinion is that without the presence of carbohydrates, muscles are more difficult to build.
Low Calorie Diet

With a Low Calorie Diet, all of the Macro Nutrients are low; Protein, Carbohydrates, and Fats.

A Low Calorie Diet limits that amount of Body Weight and Muscle Mass and individual can put on.

The American College Of Sport Medicine, ACSM

Their recommendation for gaining Weight and Muscle Mass is to Increase Calorie Consumption by around 500 calories per day.

The ACSM does not designate where the calories come from.

Ironically, research has demonstrated that the most effective method for increasing Body Weight that Maximizes a Gain In Muscle Mass while limiting and Increase in Body Fat, it to Increase Calorie Intake by approximately 20%.

A 20% Increase in Calorie Intake is approximately the 500 Calories recommended by the ASCM.

With that said, let's break this down.

Carbohydrates

Generally, increasing Body Weight is a little easier when Carbohydrates are increased.

That in part is due due to an increase in Water Weight.

If an individual Carbohydrate Consumption is too high there is a greater increase in Body Fat.

Thus, individuals who decide to Increase Calories by Increasing Carbohydrate Intake need do so slowly.

The amount of Carbohydrates needed are dependent on the Sport or Activity.

Protein Intake

With a Low Calorie Diet, one concern is that Protein Intake may be too low.

Protein Intake of of around approximately 1.6 Time Body Weight in Kilograms or more works.

The Amount of Protein Per Meal

Research by Drs. Donald Layman and Layne Norton determined that approximately 30 gram or higher of Quality Protein (Dairy, Meats, Whey Protein, etc.) per meal elicit an anabolic effect.

Fats

Fat are an easy way to increase Calories.

Fats are necessary for hormonal production. Mono-Unsaturated and Saturated Fat are great sources. Poly-Unsaturated Fats should be limited

Gaining Weight

The first rule in Gaining Weight/Muscle Mass is to Increase Calories, as per the ACSM.

As I have posted multiple times, I have lost with a Low Calorie Ketogenic Diet. I have Gained Weight on the Ketogenic Diet by simply increasing my Fat Calorie Intake.

At one point, I gained 17 on the Ketogenic Diet by dramatically increasing my Fat Calorie Intake.

Last edited:
I wondered if do only strength blocks for a few years with let´s say low calories do I make it harder or maybe even impossible to gain muscle mass?

For example I´ll do the Strong! strength block back on back on back for a few years. Now I´m incredibly strong and can C&P 40k +. I still look skinny because I haven´t eaten much.

As far as my understanding goes for hypertrophy I have to increase reps and maybe decrease pause times. Because of my strength I start out with the 32k maybe. From there on I assume it will be incredibly difficult to increase the weight because it it already so heavy and more taxing compared to 20k. Therefore making muscle gains very difficult or maybe even impossible.

I have the feeling I´m missing something. Can someone explain? :)

Foot note: I read the newsletter from Tuesday. I mean sarcoplasma and glycogen. It was the first time I heard about increase in contractile protein. So that may fall under different rules?
Maybe all you need to do is eat more?

I’m no expert, but if you can do Strong! with double 40s, and hit that max of 10x6, and you “look skinny,” there’s nothing more you can do workout wise. That’s 4800kg going over your head per workout.

Have you tried a month where you intentionally eat more?

When in doubt, shift to maintaining your press strength and focus on double kb front squats with those 40s.

If you can do DFSQ 10x6 with double 40s, are eating heavily, and still aren’t growing, then perhaps consider turning yourself over to the authorities, because you’re not human, and are very dangerous

Back
Top Bottom