all posts post new thread

Old Forum Chalk = faster way to grip strength ??

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Lehrskov

Level 5 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
I'm on a steady diet of S&S and loving it. Grip strength is my definite bottle neck.

So if I want to get stronger faster, should I use chalk (which allows me to easily handle the 32kg, 40kg on a good day) or should I go without it (having trouble with the 32kg even) ??

Anyone who've already tested this and can save me the trouble?

Thanks for a great community!

/Ulrik

I resorted to using chalk just because my right hand was slipping after 6-7 reps on every set using the 32kg. Once I started using chalk I could swing with more power without the fear of the bell flying out of my hand.

I’m assuming that by swinging with more power will increase your grip strength better/faster than swinging with less power.

I do not know if it will have that much effect on grip strength, but it will definitely help you develop more hip explosiveness due to grip no longer being a limiting factor. Try it out, see how you feel.

Yes. Use chalk when you need it, do more reps, get stronger. Don't use chalk when you don't need it.

Do your first sets without if you can and add chalk as you start to sweat.

If this was a presidential election 'Mr Chalk' would get 100% of the vote it seems :)

Thanks for the input - I'll chalk up and start moving up bell sizes!

/Ulrik

I was under the impression that chalk was "kinda sorta cheating" for grip strength, but then I tried it.  It's night and day and it makes the rest of your form much easier to maintain.

I never used to use chalk, then Christian's Fitness Factory sent me some for free with another order. I didn't use it for a long time, then started using it for deadlifts... which led to me chalking up for just about everything.

So when I came back to KBs with S&S, I kept using the chalk until I ran out. Then I decided I was just going to "man up" and go back to not chalking.

I regressed terribly. I tried all sorts of things that didn't really help. I told myself it was all mental and was going to swing away, only to see the bell go flying in front of me. I just could not get over that slippery sensation.

So I started rubbing ashes on my hands and ordered some more chalk. Now I'm happy again, but boy did I waste a bunch of time just so I could "man up".

Chalk helped me determine if my grip was failing or if it was sweaty hands causing an issue.

Comrade Derrick's reply is very nice. I have a mh pipe pull up bar in my veranda attached to my room............every joints on my fingers had caluses or sth which was unnecessary. But I can't do deads chalked up because I train in my room.

@JediMind - I do S&S in my office at home and I apply a light coat of chalk on my fingers over the bathroom sink.

An alternative to chalk that I stumbled upon is Nikwax shoe waterproofing wax. I noticed that after treating a pair of shoes and getting some of the wax on my hands, that water beaded up on my skin. I experimented with purposely applying it to my hands and then lifting, and found that it made my grip a lot more secure. There is much less of the slippery feeling that comes from sweat and skin oil on the handle.

The advantage of the wax is that it isn't messy, doesn't dry out the skin (which I find to be a problem with chalk, especially in winter), and doesn't turn to goo when you sweat a lot. The only disadvantages are that it doesn't provide as much grip aid as chalk, and since it is not necessarily intended to be applied regularly to skin, it's use at your own risk.

I use the "Nubuck and Suede" version of Nikwax because that's what I had on hand for my shoes. It's designed not to slick down the nap of nubuck and suede so maybe it has a "drier" finish than the Nikwax intended for smooth leather (although I have not used any other kind for comparison). It certainly feels perfectly dry on my skin and not slick or greasy. I just use the applicator to apply some to my hands, rub it in, and give it a few minutes to dry. An application lasts throughout a workout.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom