all posts post new thread

Old Forum Circuits or not?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

chicagomark

Level 4 Valued Member
In S&S, Pavel says that we should do our swings and then follow with the TGU. Geoff Neupert writes that we should do these exercises in a circuit manner. What is the value doing one form over the other?

I'd hang with what Pavel says.  I haven't seen what GN said.  But I don't see how you can do 10x10 swings then 5x1 per arm TGU in a circuit.  There would be no benefit.

Mark, there are many effective programming options and we often have students do swing and get-up circuits at SFG certs in the manner Geoff described.  This allows the fatigue to move around.  But is S&S I laid out very specific instructions to enable you to build a particular type of endurance—alactacid capacity plus aerobic recovery.  Stick to the plan.  

Thanks Pavel. I will stick to this. Do you think you will write programming for the snatch. In the fall I hope to switch to focussing on snatching. I can follow GN's plan but I am always interested in what you have say.

Mark- As Pavel mentioned, S&S has specific goals. Circuits are fine, but what is your goal?

You need a goal before you need a program to reach it

I have frequently pondered the question of circuit training vs. exercise to exercise. I would agree that the main question is one of goals. I would also add that there is also the point of mastering a movement. I have found that circuit training is not optimal for this due to the fatigue it induces. A movement such as the getup is quite technical and demands a high level of skill and therefore, IMHO, not suitable for circuit training.

Yehoshua, the GU is suitable for circuit training—once you have developed very good technique.  That it can be stress proofed in a circuit.

I would appreciate an article discussing how to determine what one's goals should be. Since I started training with kettlebells, watching Pavel's video, reading Enter the Kettlebell, training with Lance Coffel, etc, the TGU has been my favorite KB move so I was eager to read Simple and Sinister. Still, I don't have a good idea how to determine what my goals should be other than building strength.

Mark, pick a goal that you want to achieve.  I spelled some possible goals out in another forum post earlier this morning - I will repeat (from memory) below.  You want to measure your strength in the heat of competition from time to time, or at least put your performance on video and post it somewhere.

K S&S - Simple, then Sinister

ETK Rite of Passage

ROTK

A powerlifting meet - that gets my vote but they're all good.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom